Thread: Possible source of new CV shafts...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    I know BigSwede says he is positive the 95+ Troopers will swap out but you'd probably need the inner "stub" axle part where the inner ball assembly is snapped into to be sure. I wonder if EMPI's will be any stronger than the other aftermarket CV's out there. I talked to a guy awhile back (will need to find his info) that owns a company that builds custom shafts for offroad/high HP applications and he said he could do some for my old Rodeo when I had it, just need to send him the axle but he couldn't guarantee it being bulletproof or anything because of the CV angles and what not on different vehicles but they are "supposed" to be stronger than stock. Not sure how legit it was/is though
    Sure the'll work, but be aware there ARE small differnces....ones that are not noticable untill you try and use a VX axle and Balls in a Rodeo/Trooper outer....wont fit....

Have a good look at the empi catalog...they list demensions of EACH part....you can see the differences yourselves...

There are alot (guys with machine shops) of ways to upgrade the axles and CVs on the Isuzus, but they are all costly

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Sure the'll work, but be aware there ARE small differnces....ones that are not noticable untill you try and use a VX axle and Balls in a Rodeo/Trooper outer....wont fit....

The ball problem is 100% correct. As I have posted before, the Zus have several CVs, beyond the short medium and long. There is also 2 "cup" sizes as well as the random tri-ball style. I managed to frankenstein a set out of a bag of CVs. I took the cups off of the shafts off of a shorter CV and found a long one with the same spline count to fit. No problems. Just a PITA in the dark, rain, and in a campground. It is possible though. I still wheel it, and that is with a locker. It fit perfect.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Yep....I did the same thing...used a bunch of differnt ones and made it work....and ran em for a long time untill I snapped an outer cage while PURPOSELY lead-footin it on the last day at Moab...

After that"".I snagged both CVs out of my low mile parts VX and am now running the OEM correct-fit ones....

The outer CV that I busted was off a Trooper or Rodeo and Had smaller balls,star and cage...Than the OEM VX ones

The problem I had yrs before, was that the cup on the VX inner driver side shaft is BIGGER than the rest of the Isuzus at my local wrecking yards...and the ones that were right had a axle dis-connect built in...so the shaft was way short/wrong....