Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: the VX was runnin' hot

I wish AZ was closer...for a lot of reasons right now!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post

Bart
    but right now the heat is turning everyone (myself included) into............ zombies!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Talking whatchu talkin about Luna

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    but right now the heat is turning everyone (myself included) into............ zombies!!
    Most residents in AZ are already zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post

Bart
    patience grasshopper, soon, very soon....

boy, we've really jacked this thread all over....sorry Luna!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

It was fun to go off topic this time

we all had a chance to hear from most of our southwest bretheren...

If all else fails, lol I was having issues when sitting in traffic on Lake Shore Drive and general stand still traffic in the city. Two things helped. 1. If you have a Mass air flow I made a custom box to seal off to the incomming air down in the front right side where the intake was. The Mass Air intake I have was sucking super hot air from around the engine and this made a huge difference. 2. Would still run hot if sitting for along time with the ac on added royal purple antifreeze additive and made another huge difference. Running cool as a cucumber now.

No problem with the VX

But did have issues withe the Healey. I started using water wetter and have no more issues with over heating.

since we have more ridiculously hot days than not, looks like some form of antifreeze additive may be a good form of insurance.

Ha ha I'll warn you it runs like 15 bucks for a liter bottle though only one needed. It's helped abunch.

Only $7.50

for the water wetter of course it might help too haveyour radiator clean who knows how blocked up it may be.

I was dreading the thought that the thermostat was the problem, so I picked an easier battle first...

Changed out the fan clutch with a Hayden unit I ordered from RockAutoParts, and after a few days of driving around in this nasty Az heat, I'm happy to report that the temp guage hasn't gone above normal!..

Next up... I'll be changing a slightly worn out center-link to help take out some of the play in the steering.

I tried a couple searches, but I couldn't find an old thread called "what are you doing to your VX this weekend"
    That was a fun thread to read and I figured I would add to it, but I guess it just died out...
    What model # of Hayden fan did you buy? I see 3 different sizes listed, 12", 14" & 16". My daughter's VX is starting to run a little hot and want to replace the fan. Was the fan a direct replacement for the stock one? How hard was it to replace? She'll be doing it herself, but she's very handy with tools (thanks to hanging out with Dad) :-)

Thanks,
    Dave...
    Always a kid at heart!

I used Hayden part #2672... without goin' out to measure it (wife has VX today anyway) I couldn't tell ya which size it is. RockAuto didn't offer any choices in size, but I did get the correct one

How's things back in Carver, Ma?
    I moved out to Az back in '96 from my hometown of Chelmsford. I really loved it out here for a few years, but now I guess I'm needing some more greenery in my life again... just don't want to deal with that white, frosty, snow-stuff again.

btw... Even though she may be handy with tools, getting the fan/clutch off from the engine can be tricky.
    if you have the time, it's always helpful to have another pair of hands to keep the engine from turning while breaking the bolts loose....

Quote Originally Posted by p_justin13 View Post
    added royal purple antifreeze additive and made another huge difference. Running cool as a cucumber now.
    I added that last year right before summer. Did you add the amount they advised or any extra? (and yes, I extracted same volume of fluid as I added).

But yesterday, driving slowly around a parking lot in circles trying to figure out what the short clanking sound is when I'm almost at full lock right, with full A/C blowing...I noticed I was heating up (and it was about 96 degrees) DOH!
    Gauge got up to about 1/8 from top.
    Wondered if I added a bit more RP antifreeze additive, if it would help....under the logic of "more is better"...
    Temp dropped as soon as I drove on normally.
    Thoughts?

p.s. I think one of my Kilby plates may be hitting/rubbing sumpin' at almost full lock right.

I tried a couple searches, but I couldn't find an old thread called "what are you doing to your VX this week"
    That was a fun thread to read and I figured I would add to it, but I guess it just died out...
    Here it 'tis:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...highlight=week