Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Torn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Torn

Am I crazy or does anyone else feel like this?
    I love to go offroad in the vehicross. I have a nice fire road right behind my home that gets really muddy and puddley in the winter.
    I have been hit with a lot of wear related repairs that are probably due to me rallying around.
    Now that these cars are getting on a decade old, and parts are getting more rare and expensive, and with the economy being as rough as it is, is it time to think about retiring my VX from hardcore wheeling' and just baby it and keep it free from offroad stresses?
    I will miss the TOD lights shooting up but I think I'd rather drive it another 10 years than sell it for parts.... Any thoughts?

Agreed. 100%. My VX is going to be my garage queen going forward. If it goes offroad again, it will only be on that gorgeous terra cotta stone we all know and love as Moab slickrock.

Bart

I reluctantly admit that I agree with HWJ. Wheeling the VX reminds of owning a boat. There is always something broke, or something that needs maintenance.
    On the other hand, I will not be retiring the VX. Instead we are adding another member to the fleet, a 93 Trooper RS. We will wheel both of them, but it will be primarily a trail truck. The VX will make the trip out to Kansas Rocks and Turtle Creek ORV this fall, as well as Moab 2011. The RS will most likely do local duty at Uwharrie.
    There are a few VXs for sale in the 4K range, so hopefully we will see more enthusiasts pick them up and start real nice trail builds on em...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Marlin, did you find a 93 RS? There was a nice looking black one for sale in Seattle a week ago. I wanted it but I already have another ZuZu addition coming soon.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Marlin, did you find a 93 RS? There was a nice looking black one for sale in Seattle a week ago. I wanted it but I already have another ZuZu addition coming soon.

Bart
    Yes I did, 126K, never been offroad, no rust. He is putting in aussie front locker, new tranny, sliders, all maintenance done (belts, water pump, fluids...), diff drop. When I get it, I will put 95+ trooper upper control arm and lower ball joints, OME 919 and 1" spacer, rancho shocks if needs new ones, and 34" TSLs. This will be my wife's trail truck.
    I saw that gorgeous one in Washington. Here is a pic of the one I am getting:
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...d4x4/93RSa.jpg

That's awesome, Marlin. Love it. And I don't know why, but those are my favorite stock Isuzu rims. I like them more that the snowflakes that everyone likes. I would love to have both an 89 RS and a 93 RS. Those are my next two target Zus. Ahhh, 5 Isuzus....that would be awesome. But I think I am gonna hafta wait until I move again and have a 6 car garage or something. (pipe dream, I know).

Bart

After reading what you guys are sayin' I had to chuckle a little... (out loud even, and there is nobody else around)

A couple week back I opened a discussion about getting rid of my 4wd hi-lo gear shifter and it created all kinds of backlash!!! I don't plan on crawling my VX and I haven't been anywhere near the snow in years.

Anyway, I thought I'd share that again....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    After reading what you guys are sayin' I had to chuckle a little... (out loud even, and there is nobody else around)

A couple week back I opened a discussion about getting rid of my 4wd hi-lo gear shifter and it created all kinds of backlash!!! I don't plan on crawling my VX and I haven't been anywhere near the snow in years.

Anyway, I thought I'd share that again....
    See, I will still take my VX offroad, it will just be on light trails and not very often. I plan to attend Moab 2012 for sure, with the VX of course, as long as there is still gas left to burn I will be there.

I think you met this backlash because the lot of us here enjoy the 4x4 aspects of our VXes. Its like having an Isuzu Impulse and wanting to lift it and add 4x4.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE View Post
    Am I crazy?
    I love to go offroad in the vehicross. I have a nice fire road right behind my home that gets really muddy and puddley in the winter.
    I have been hit with a lot of wear related repairs that are probably due to me rallying around, is it time to think about retiring my VX from hardcore wheeling' and just baby it and keep it free from offroad stresses?
    I will miss the TOD lights shooting up.... Any thoughts?
    HWJ--- Simply said; Yes, you are crazy and there is no cure for you. I remember painfully watching your bogus homemade video of how you absolutely abuse and attempt to destroy your poor VX on that wannabe rallycross fire road behind your house. That's not hardcore 4-wheeling, that is simply plain ignorance of how one shouldn't treat a VX. If you treat any vehicle (regardless of make/model) with the same abuse and destruction you subject your poor VX to, then any vehicle will require severe maintenance and repair. If you would only drive your poor VX with love, consideration and care, then you wouldn't be in the pickle you're in now. VX's are extremely agile offroad and will last a very long time by only using 4WL and driving slow with prudence while in an offroad environment. I pity ANY vehicle that comes within your ownership. Sad, sad, sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    HWJ--- Simply said; Yes, you are crazy and there is no cure for you. I remember painfully watching your bogus homemade video of how you absolutely abuse and attempt to destroy your poor VX on that wannabe rallycross fire road behind your house. That's not hardcore 4-wheeling, that is simply plain ignorance of how one shouldn't treat a VX. If you treat any vehicle (regardless of make/model) with the same abuse and destruction you subject your poor VX to, then any vehicle will require severe maintenance and repair. If you would only drive your poor VX with love, consideration and care, then you wouldn't be in the pickle you're in now. VX's are extremely agile offroad and will last a very long time by only using 4WL and driving slow with prudence while in an offroad environment. I pity ANY vehicle that comes within your ownership. Sad, sad, sad.
    Oh boy, here we go...buckle up folks.

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Oh boy, here we go...buckle up folks.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Listen Prick,
    I have watched a lot of YouTube videos of VX ers going off way harder than I ever have. My VX is running but my mechanic suggested that since he scraped a lot of mud out from under my car that if I wanted to keep driving it for a while I should stay on the pavement more. I love my car would never do anything that would harm it intentionally. I'm just wondering if the VX community had any thoughts about keeping em on the road by not taking them offroad. I wasn't trying to hear how you did not like my video, and the fact you even remember I made a video make me believe you must have a serious Internet man crush on me. I'm flattered but I don't swing that way.
    I like to drive fast offroad, none of that ***** 1 mile an hour going over rocks crap. If you call that exciting wheeling then maybe you can paint your VX pink and get a rhinestone liscence plate frame that says " pwder puff" instead of riff raff

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE View Post
    Listen Prick,
    I have watched a lot of YouTube videos of VX ers going off way harder than I ever have. My VX is running but my mechanic suggested that since he scraped a lot of mud out from under my car that if I wanted to keep driving it for a while I should stay on the pavement more. I love my car would never do anything that would harm it intentionally. I'm just wondering if the VX community had any thoughts about keeping em on the road by not taking them offroad. I wasn't trying to hear how you did not like my video, and the fact you even remember I made a video make me believe you must have a serious Internet man crush on me. I'm flattered but I don't swing that way.
    I like to drive fast offroad, none of that ***** 1 mile an hour going over rocks crap. If you call that exciting wheeling then maybe you can paint your VX pink and get a rhinestone liscence plate frame that says " pwder puff" instead of riff raff

when i see a post from HWJ i got to smile alittle and read it ...Im sorry I cant help myself...but to you HWJ i just had my transmision replaced and ill be treading alittle bit lighter from now on... Im still smiling ...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    when i see a post from HWJ i got to smile alittle and read it ...Im sorry I cant help myself...... Im still smiling ...lol
    x2. You're my hero, Don. Nuff' said.