Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vehicross or crack pipe? VOTE HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Dang, where the heck are all these Crack Pipe votes comin' from???....oh yeah.....the rest of the world...non vehicross.info members and non VX owners...
    I know, it's hard to ignore the haters, but "they know not what they do."

Still, let's Rock the Vote and do right by our trusty VXs.

PS: Just found out (accidentally, of course) that I can input multiple votes as long as I use different computers, or laptops, or iPhones...just sayin'...
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    I would have to think that our lowly 4-spd transmission gearing has a lot to do with it.... if and when the time comes, does anyone know if there are any newer 5 spd transmissions that would bolt up?
    Yup...a manual bolts right up...http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=speed+swap

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Yup...a manual bolts right up...http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=speed+swap

After posting my question, I knew I should have edited it to ask if there is a 5spd AUTO transmission........ wouldn't a newer style tranny have better gearing if there is such an animal?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The 4L60E that is in the Hummer H3 should bolt right up....its a 4 speed but does have a lower 1st gear....

The are 5speed autos that will bolt right up,(to the engine at least) but finding/making a computer to controll it properly is the hard part...

And Dub,

while I have your attn........
    Can I borrow your Mad Max version VX? There are hundreds of people downtown protesting the new 1070 bill.
    I figured your machine would look much more formidable while barreling through telling everyone to go home!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    The 4L60E that is in the Hummer H3 should bolt right up....its a 4 speed but does have a lower 1st gear....

The are 5speed autos that will bolt right up,(to the engine at least) but finding/making a computer to controll it properly is the hard part...
    Yep, my mechanic fitted up a 4L60E when I had my tranny replaced, but it was gonna be another 900 bucks to upgrade to a new one. The insurance company refused and said they wouldn't warranty if I did that. I am still out 2K from that work, the company went tits up about two weeks ago. No money to me, but the Pennsylvania Attorney General is filing a class action against them and said I could come away with more than I paid, and the car dealership is refunding the full warranty purchase price. So, at least I get some back, but that just means I could have done the 4L60E swap...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

And Dub,

while I have your attn........
    Can I borrow your Mad Max version VX? There are hundreds of people downtown protesting the new 1070 bill.
    I figured your machine would look much more formidable while barreling through telling everyone to go home!!!
    Gotta promise to bring it back all cleaned up...

A whatt'r all them peeps doing down there on a weekday? Don't they have JOBS?...

why would they need jobs when our govm't hands them money for coming here and having babies?!?!

Red face

why would they need jobs when our govm't hands them money for coming here and having babies?!?!
    I dunno what I was thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Yep, my mechanic fitted up a 4L60E when I had my tranny replaced, but it was gonna be another 900 bucks to upgrade to a new one. The insurance company refused and said they wouldn't warranty if I did that. I am still out 2K from that work, the company went tits up about two weeks ago. No money to me, but the Pennsylvania Attorney General is filing a class action against them and said I could come away with more than I paid, and the car dealership is refunding the full warranty purchase price. So, at least I get some back, but that just means I could have done the 4L60E swap...
    So what "upgrade" do you get from the 4L60E? Just a lower 1st (better for towing I guess)?

The 4L60E also has alot of "upgrade" parts available for it but it would need a controller (I'
    m pretty sure the 4L30E's electronics would not interchange) but also the Atlas engine family does NOT use the same bolt pattern, it looks similar to the 60 degree pattern but it is not. So the H3 trans won't just bolt up to our engines. Here's a pic of an Atlas bellhousing next to a small block chevy pattern, the 60 degree pattern is actually different than both:

You could get a 700R4 from behind an early 2.8 V6 S10 and mod that to work (a guy on the Planet used a Dana 300 case or people have made adapters to keep the Zu' case).
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

After going all OCD while shopping and comparing prices, there was no way I would vote for crack pipe. The price is definitely out of my budget, but not unfair in my opinion.

One of the comments from those icky crack-pipers caught my attention, "I can only imagine what sort of new creaks and rattles have cropped up in the years since."

The day I bought my VX, I was driving from Dallas to OK City when it hit me, "Where are the squeaks and rattles?" There was a big bang when I ran over the really big bumps in the road and I suspected that was the back seat. In anticipation of transporting my new tires home tomorrow, I removed the back seat a little while ago. Yep, the Big Bang was gone. There was still a slight rattle when going over the same big bumps and that was fixed by putting some cheap gasket material between the spare tire cover and the rear hatch.

ZERO squeaks and rattles in a 9-year-old vehicle with 120k miles so I say "UP YOURS, Crack-pipers!"

(Wish I could say the same thing about my 2-year-old Ford.)

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    ZERO squeaks and rattles in a 9-year-old vehicle with 120k miles so I say "UP YOURS, Crack-pipers!"

(Wish I could say the same thing about my 2-year-old Ford.)
    I experienced the same thing. I put a subwoofer in the rear door, no rattles, not even the license plate. That blows my mind. My 08 Expy rattled quite a bit. Now, having said that, after wheeling for the last year or so, the rear interior plastic started creaking and squeaking. Part of the reason I removed that stuff.

I added a Flowmaster Off-Road Extreme muffler to my VX. Even if there ARE rattles, I can't hear them over the thunderous roar of the engine.