Thread: Vehicross or crack pipe? VOTE HERE!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I would have to think that our lowly 4-spd transmission gearing has a lot to do with it.... if and when the time comes, does anyone know if there are any newer 5 spd transmissions that would bolt up?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    I would have to think that our lowly 4-spd transmission gearing has a lot to do with it.... if and when the time comes, does anyone know if there are any newer 5 spd transmissions that would bolt up?
    Yup...a manual bolts right up...http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=speed+swap

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Yup...a manual bolts right up...http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=speed+swap

After posting my question, I knew I should have edited it to ask if there is a 5spd AUTO transmission........ wouldn't a newer style tranny have better gearing if there is such an animal?

The 4L60E that is in the Hummer H3 should bolt right up....its a 4 speed but does have a lower 1st gear....

The are 5speed autos that will bolt right up,(to the engine at least) but finding/making a computer to controll it properly is the hard part...

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    The 4L60E that is in the Hummer H3 should bolt right up....its a 4 speed but does have a lower 1st gear....

The are 5speed autos that will bolt right up,(to the engine at least) but finding/making a computer to controll it properly is the hard part...
    Yep, my mechanic fitted up a 4L60E when I had my tranny replaced, but it was gonna be another 900 bucks to upgrade to a new one. The insurance company refused and said they wouldn't warranty if I did that. I am still out 2K from that work, the company went tits up about two weeks ago. No money to me, but the Pennsylvania Attorney General is filing a class action against them and said I could come away with more than I paid, and the car dealership is refunding the full warranty purchase price. So, at least I get some back, but that just means I could have done the 4L60E swap...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Yep, my mechanic fitted up a 4L60E when I had my tranny replaced, but it was gonna be another 900 bucks to upgrade to a new one. The insurance company refused and said they wouldn't warranty if I did that. I am still out 2K from that work, the company went tits up about two weeks ago. No money to me, but the Pennsylvania Attorney General is filing a class action against them and said I could come away with more than I paid, and the car dealership is refunding the full warranty purchase price. So, at least I get some back, but that just means I could have done the 4L60E swap...
    So what "upgrade" do you get from the 4L60E? Just a lower 1st (better for towing I guess)?

And Dub,

while I have your attn........
    Can I borrow your Mad Max version VX? There are hundreds of people downtown protesting the new 1070 bill.
    I figured your machine would look much more formidable while barreling through telling everyone to go home!!!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    And Dub,

while I have your attn........
    Can I borrow your Mad Max version VX? There are hundreds of people downtown protesting the new 1070 bill.
    I figured your machine would look much more formidable while barreling through telling everyone to go home!!!
    Gotta promise to bring it back all cleaned up...

A whatt'r all them peeps doing down there on a weekday? Don't they have JOBS?...