Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why does the VX sound

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    ...2011 mustang v6's ... 30mph (probably a bit less in the heavy VX) and 305hp stock...
    I recently rented a 2011 Mustang from Hertz. I can actually go faster than 30 mph...
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

In this new universe h=g!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

ok, here's what I'm gettin' at...
    Under heavy acceleration, the VX sounds good. But if I'm just coming off idle, say just doin' 5 mph, the engine is quite loud. (not exhaust) It's as if you are holding a stethescope up to it and you can hear the internal workings.
    I'm just tryin' to figure out if other VX owners hear this with theirs. I have owned probably 15 vehicles plus I worked in body shops for over 20 years, so I've heard my share of engines... just not this one.

I really appreciate those who responded with some tech regarding the main difference between the low compression (the VX) and high compression (the 350Z) enigines.

Since I've been made aware that there are no simple performance mods, I'll just drive it as is... worry about more power if/when engine goes kaput.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey luna,
    I'm not around much, but welcome to VX ownership! Something that came to mind reading your post
    Is thhi...actually 2 things. You might check the nut under the EGR valve. I know that if that thing is loose, or completly off,
    The VX gets loud.2ndly, in my best tommy chong voice...."Did you check the air in the tires, man?"
    Seriously....if even one tire is low on pressure (often caused by peeling chrome wheels) this causes the TOD to whine and moan
    As you speed up and slow down. And yes, makes it sound like you hear everything going on in the engine.
    Just a thought. And its real cheap to fix! Just add air! Preferably from a free sourse, and not one of those 1.00 air pumps.
    So you might just check it out.
    Again, welcome to the family!
    Live long and enjoy your vx!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    ok, here's what I'm gettin' at...
    Under heavy acceleration, the VX sounds good. But if I'm just coming off idle, say just doin' 5 mph, the engine is quite loud. (not exhaust) It's as if you are holding a stethescope up to it and you can hear the internal workings.
    I'm just tryin' to figure out if other VX owners hear this with theirs. I have owned probably 15 vehicles plus I worked in body shops for over 20 years, so I've heard my share of engines... just not this one.
    Oh THAT noise...

Kinda hard to describe, not exactly a whirring, not a knock, not really grinding, not exactly hissing either...

I've got the same thing, it did get a little better when I modded my trans mount by through drilling it & installing some 1/2" gr 8 bolts. (making it, for the most part, a solid mount)

These pics show the first attempt with 1/4" hardware, which wasn't up to the task.(sheared off)

I think there is a member on this site in Michigan who was selling his S/C'ed VX. He said the midwest weather had taken its toll, so he was asking $5,000. The S/C part alone was sold for $3500, and I'd bet as there isn't a replacement, a used S/C in good condition, if available, would probably sell for about the same as new, as its a highly sought after part.

Anyway, you could buy the car, get the S/C and any other parts you may need. You could get upwards of 2 grand or more to part it out after its done. Kind of a pain in the butt, but if you're in the need for speed, it's at least an option. It sounds like the car is probably better for parts, or drive it till it dies type of thing. I bought an East coast VX, however the rust hadn't taken over yet. It needed the timing belt, tune-up, lowered to stock, CV joint and both boots, all fluids and filters changed and exhaust. Some of the bolts were hard to break free; my mechanic had to use the plasma cutters several times to free things up. But now we won't have those problems as most items that have to be serviced have been and worn fasteners replaced. The maintenance cost about half as much as I paid for the truck, but I had (almost) budgeted for it, and I'm very happy with my S/C VX.

I too had thought the Axiom Direct Injection motor had been swapped in by more than 1 member, but I may be wrong. That motor not only developed more power and torque, it used less gas, and was a quieter, reliable, more refined motor. I wish it was more straight forward to install. Combined with the S/C would be very interesting.

I know that the tranny is kind of the weakest link, but wasn't the tranny designed by Borg Warner? Or is that just the electronic TOD that they were involved with?
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

I was in a rush when i posted, what i meant was i had a Nissan 300zx before the VX which is a 3.0 V6 and it sounded awesome (as im sure Luna VX' 350Z does) The VX has never really sounded like a V6 to me, i guess its just the way it fires the cylinders but i was quite dissapointed when i put a straight through exhaust on it as it sounded like a tracktor, so i took it back to the shop for one with a bit more silencing, now it has a low down grumble and not too much rasp etc.

From what i've heard on youtube the 3.2 sounds the same as the 3.5
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

I think Luna may be talking about the "lifter" sound most of these motors make. I will agree all the Isuzu V6's I have owned you can hear the valves going up and down at low engine speeds and light acceleration. Never bothered me since I've daily driven some primitive engines (solid valvetrain small block comes to mind lol) but yes you can hear all that going on up there. Also I wouldn't consider 9:1 a "low" compression motor, it's average, and if it was an iron block iron head engine it would be kinda high, the aluminum dissipates the heat alot better so you can run higher compression on pump gas (like 10.3:1 on the 3.5 Z motor, 10.3:1 would not be happy on pump gas with an iron block/iron head engine)
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Heh, you should get a 92-97 SOHC 3.2 and take a listen...your motor's valvetrain noise will sound blissfully quiet by comparison. I tell the SOHC Trooper guys to just pretend it's a diesel.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Ldub stop taking pictures with your leisure suit as the background - I'm going into seizures here man!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    Ldub stop taking pictures with your leisure suit as the background - I'm going into seizures here man!
    When they're induced by "dubware" they're called "Liesures"...not siezures...

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    LMAO! Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing that!

Guess what I found out!?

All along, that mysterious noise I was hearing is the a.c. compressor clutch... It makes more noise than it should, which means one of these days it will quit altogether, but I did make it through another ridiculous AZ summer!...

And in better news, yesterday's oil change was first since June, and she was just barely 1/2qt low... seems to be holding up quite well compared to some other stories I've read here.

Also changed the transfer case oil and outfitted her with a pair of new running shoes...

Now........ if I could just get geared up to give her a much needed paint job, things will be all good in VX-land!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    That's not entirely true...Isuzu was working on a V8 for the Trooper, but when it became clear the US market was a no-go, they dropped the program.
    I have no clue if isuzu did ever had thoughts of going V8 on any passenger vehicule.

As far as my mech told me isuzu wasn't eager to build any V8 passenger truck.
    I neither believe that the VX shall came with a V8 engine,but rather with an stronger,more powerfull V6 engine.

Nissan was able to develope an special 3.5L V6 for the pathfinder kicking 240 PH.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Seems like a V8 would be hard to shove into the VX engine bay...