Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Toys

New Toys

I love coming home to find the UPS truck has come by earlier than expected. It's like a quicky before work!

Got my FMIC, 38mm wastegate longer braided oil feed/return lines and tubular header today, waiting on the turbo back exhaust and tubing for the FMIC and I can hopefully put the SVO together this weekend! YAAYY!!!

This car is such a joy to drive. I actually enjoy it more than I ever did the Mach 1. Hopefully soon I'll get it registered and painted and enjoy it again.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    I love coming home to find the UPS truck has come by earlier than expected. It's like a quicky before work!

They left stuff on your WALL...

Ha!

What's the power output going to be when you get that force-fed motor put back together?

With a newer model CPU and larger injectors and some minor tuning the factory turbo will max out around 300rwhp. With a stand alone fuel system and MS2 and larger turbo and head work it will climb close to 500 at the wheels. But I don't have much interest in doing all the work needed for that. It's got a great list of upgrades already and is a decent car the way it sits. I'm hoping for high 12's with the new parts and weight reduction.

I believe there will be a new crop of turbo motors for folks to play with in the near future. I know Ford is about to release a 2.0 turbo four that will be the base engine in several vehicles. I'm sure other manufacturers will be doing similar. Then all we need is programmers and let the fun begin.

That car of yours sounds like a blast. The 5.0 stang has been done a bazillion different ways. It's cool to see something different.

Well the SVO is a factory turbo 2.3. That's one of the reasons I got it, different from the majority. Same reason for the Mach 1 I had to sell, it was a very rare car and collectable, but wasn't near as fun to drive as this one! When I first bought it I was figuring to do some minor cosmetic repairs and upgrades and sell it for a small profit, then I got some time to drive it (23miles one way to work on freeways) in Houston and found out how much fun it was to drive. Then found a vehicross and decided I wanted one of those and had to choose between mustangs. SVO won in a landslide!

I don't know if anyone here is following my little build, or even cares much, but here's a little update on some of the stuff I've been able to complete, and some of the problems I've come across so far. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get around the problems please share!

gettin' into it all!

Old down pipe and stock manifold coming out

New 3" DP waiting for me to make some room under the car for it!

Think it'll flow better? hope so!

Ran into a small problem mounting the header. This little booger won't line up through the header flange, I think because the primary is in the way. I'm waiting for a PM back from the manufacturer to see if this is a common problem and how to fix. I want to grind on the primary a little but that sounds kinda sketcy to me. Thin metal an all that noise...

I made a lot of progress tonight, but not ready to run yet. Hoped I would be posting a vid of exhaust but not this time. All the bolts in the header/turbo flange/oil drain tubes area all seem to be in the way of each other. I need to cut one of the t3 flange bolts shorter so I can tighten down the oil drain line, have to take out the other 3 bolts so the housing can rotate the compressor side away from the top of this bolt to make room for a wrench.

Then there is a problem with the coolant lines that run into and out of the fire wall for the heater core behind the dash, they are rubber lines and now rest on that huge *** down pipe. I started loosening them to get them off and measure for some steel braided line for replacement and managed to pop one of the lines out of the core and now it won't stay in there, so I'm thinking about bypassing that, it would also clean up the engine bay a little with two less hoses running through it, and I won't neet to worry about the DP melting or overheating coolant as it passes through those lines. Now I just have to figure out what runs where and what I can plug and what is necessary...

It's a real pain but I'm enjoying it so far. Had to cut the hangar hook for the stock down pipe off because it was too long to pull out of the rubber it was in. I'll be needing to weld that back on in position with the new pipe if I'm ever going to run any tail pipe and muffler.

Also the factory wastegate (internal) mounted to the turbine housing and that part was used as a flange to hold the housing to the wheel, and I have to cut a part of that off to use as a flange now to hold the housing on!

lots of pain in the butt stuff... wish I had a better shop and more tools!!!

I was telling Terrah how jealous I am of a guys garage with the sexy 10.5 car on another forum and she went out and got me some lights. It's no professional job, but my redneck engineering hasn't caused any electrical fires yet and it really lights things up, now I can keep the garage door closed all the time and still be able to see and not get carried away by mosquitos! Plus I just propped the door open and now it's air conditioned!

Here's what I got so far with the header and down pipe. I still haven't figured out how to assemble the wastegate, but haven't really set down to look at those parts yet either!

Here's a couple pictures of the interference with the electric fans.

All help is really appreciated! I'm giddy waiting for the thing to fire up so I can hear that massive exhaust!

Is that a Scott Addict in the background?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

If it sounds like I was talking to someone else, I was. These posts were originally on another forum for mustangs like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Is that a Scott Addict in the background?
    sadly no... I couldn't afford the addict at the time I bought that. But it is a brand new Scott CR1 Team full carbon with a Shimano 105 groupo. It's a basic bike that's pretty nice for someone who's brand new to the cycling world. My other bike is a Specialized Stump Jumper.

Thinking this would have been more fun.

Only worked with a handful of custom 427s in my lifetime and they are GEMS.

Of course, I don't think you can get a crate UNDER around $8k, heh.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

That's a sexeh engine. But I kind of like the underdog thing I got going!