Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for tow rig

Shopping for tow rig

Well, a few of you know that I am picking up a 93 trooper RS for the wife. It is currently having sliders built, diff drop, front locker install, all maintenance done and a new tranny. I made the mistake of letting her drive the VX last time I was at Uwharrie and now she wants her own

Problem is, I bought her a 2010 F150 for valentines day this year. The f150 can tow close to 10K lbs, but I don't think it will handle a goose neck dual car hauler with the VX and the RS on it. I will be selling my car hauler, which I will sorely miss. Electric jack, solar power, locking tongue box big enough to hold 4 35" tires, American Racing classic rims...it will be a sad day, I did a lot of work on that trailer. But I will be upgrading to a gooseneck 30 foot deck. That means I have to find an F250 or F350 diesel to tow it with. I know the Ford 6.0 diesel has its problems, so I am staying away from the 03-04 models. I will have to replace the EGR cooler with an upgraded tube style cooler. That should greatly minimize my problems. I have never owned a diesel, but a lot of the guys at work are big diesel gear heads. Stay tuned for pics of the new setup. I am a bit nervous about towing a setup like this. The truck is somewhere around 22-24', and the trailer should be another 30-35'. That means I will be rolling over 50 feet, could be closer to 60 feet!!!! I figure the two trucks and the trailer should be somewhere around 10-12k lbs. Should be interesting. Moab, here we come!!!! Might just bring the VX to Moab, depends how the whole thing feels on the road.
    I am gonna miss the F150 6 speed tranny, and the Sync, but 55K for a 2010 F350 is just too much money for me. I can get an 05 Lariat with 40-60k miles on either a DRW 350 or 250 for around $24K. That is in our price range.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Chris, thought you were up for a deployment to Japan?? Is that still on??
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Chris, thought you were up for a deployment to Japan?? Is that still on??
    I am going to fight that one, I already did an overseas tour and even volunteered to stay an extra year since they were short handed. This next tour will be my last sea duty, so I will probably end up in Norfolk. Booo!!!!, but at least its better than San Diego.

Ford 7.3 liter diesel .

Quote Originally Posted by tjh View Post
    Ford 7.3 liter diesel .
    I know I know, but they are virtually impossible to find around here. At least not in a super crew with less than 150K miles.

I ended up getting a truck today, I got an 06 Lariat 250 supercrew with 86k miles. Still has 14K miles and 25 months left on factory drivetrain warranty. One owner, I dont think it has ever towed anything, it had a monster stereo in it. In great condition. I think I got a good deal. I got 28 mpg at 75mph!!!! 19 running around town, they let me have it all day. Curious to see what I get while towing. I expect somewhere around 10-11mpg. I will post up some pics later today.

Congrats! That's a nice Truck.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    Congrats! That's a nice Truck.
    Nice to see you back again, you disappeared for quite a while. Hopefully I will see you again next spring at Moab!!!

wow......... does every ROTM winner get a new tow-rig?!?! j/k
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I am going to fight that one, I already did an overseas tour and even volunteered to stay an extra year since they were short handed. This next tour will be my last sea duty, so I will probably end up in Norfolk. Booo!!!!, but at least its better than San Diego.
    But at least you'd be a lot closer to more VX owners. I'd love to get an offroad trip out to the OBX together, and right now your rig is the only one I can think of that might be able to handle some of the sound-side trails...

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    wow......... does every ROTM winner get a new tow-rig?!?! j/k
    If they do I need to call customer service to check on mine.
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 08/07/2010 at 05:22 PM

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    But at least you'd be a lot closer to more VX owners. I'd love to get an offroad trip out to the OBX together, and right now your rig is the only one I can think of that might be able to handle some of the sound-side trails...

If they do I need to call customer serivce to check on mine.
    August was the first month they gave away the tow rig Part of the stimulus plan or something.

At least norfolk is not too far from Uwharrie. Then we could meet up with the PA groups as well.

So now we have the truck, I have to find a dealer for a gooseneck. Probably something I can do myself. Found the parts on Ebay for 400ish for a nice one. Then I have to find a trailer...it never ends. My 2010 F150 seat covers fit the 06 in the back, so thats a plus, but no go on the front bucket seats

Here is the new truck, 6.0 turbo diesel is fun!! 325HP, 570ftlbs torque!!!!!!!!!! This thing is awesome.

Needs a lift...bigger tires...modified front bumper...
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Needs a lift...bigger tires...modified front bumper...
    No no no no, you are the devil. I made the wife promise to not let me modify it at all. The only thing I can do is some electrical stuff, hitch, and when the time comes, a Bulletproof EGR cooler or delete, not sure which. Other than that, nothing. Its just going to be a tow truck, occasional daily driver.

Nice steering wheel - take a look on eBay, I think you can get a shag carpet dash cover to match. Then all you need are a few ho's and you'd be a redneck pimp.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Nice steering wheel - take a look on eBay, I think you can get a shag carpet dash cover to match. Then all you need are a few ho's and you'd be a redneck pimp.
    I be jammin to some Kid Rock....we love that style of steering wheel wrap. It stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter. That is the gray one we had in the F150