Thread: Center Console

Center Console

This maybe a random question, or a potentially awesome one.

Has anyone tried putting switches to the left of the power and winter buttons? I know the shifter moves something back when you shift into drive and the like, but is there enough room to put switches there? Anyone ever took off the center console and by chanced snapped pictures or seen how much room there is?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Center console is WAY E-Z to remove, just take your time, look at how things are fastened, & remove the rear section (that includes the arm rest) first.(it has to be slid up & forward over the parking brake lever)
    Be aware of wiring disconnects that have to be undone before full removal is possible.

I have two switches in the location you're talking about, there is a clear plastic "lens" that slides fore & aft with shifter motion, that will hit the switches with the shifter in low.
    Some of it can be trimmed by making a light reference mark on it when the shifter is all the way forward, (P) then trimming it about 1/8-1/4" behind the reference mark when it's in the full aft position. (with the console off)

This will afford a bit more room for the switch connections.

I love that you are up Ldub, its perfect for my late night ponderings and postings haha. When you get a chance could you snap a pic of your switches?

Good walkthrough too, did you have to remove the seats to get the all the screws? I think I found the center console removal on the manual, so that should help too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tookie View Post
    I love that you are up Ldub, its perfect for my late night ponderings and postings haha. When you get a chance could you snap a pic of your switches?
    Graveyard shift has it's advantages, though few & far between...
    I'll see what I can do in the next day or two on the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tookie View Post
    did you have to remove the seats to get the all the screws? .
    Nope, just move em all the way forward & look on either side of the console...you'll see the rear screws.
    Can't remember right now all the other locations, but I remember it wasn't too hard to figure out the first time I did it.
    Last edited by Ldub : 08/10/2010 at 05:00 AM

you have to start with the very back of the console (the piece with the armrest).

there are two screws at the base of the back of the console, about even with the hinge for the armrest

the next two are gold and are located towards the front of the "cupholder" but along the sides of the console

once those are removed, pull the e-brake and lift the back of the console, reach under and disconnect the wiring harness that powers the mirror switches

you should be able to pull the armrest portion of the center console off, there are two "hooks" that attach it to the front peice around the shifters, jus be careful not to break them.

after thats removed there will be two exposed screws at the rear of the shifter console and two on the side towards the dashboard.

from there i dunno whats under there anymore, i removed the shifter plate and all that stuff under there.. which leaves a whole ton of room for switches on my vx!

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I'll save you a little time Dub... here's the one pic in your gallery that shows them (albeit not up close):

Finally a good use for the fuzzy hole
    Roads.... Where Were Going We Don't Need Roads!

Aahaha, I love that they are the switches with the flip up guard...exactly the same kind I bought lol.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I'll save you a little time Dub... here's the one pic in your gallery that shows them (albeit not up close):
    Thanx brother Mav...