Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 93 Trooper RS for wife

Well, the RS was down since Feb, needed what the mechanic said was a new rear end. Tracked down a rear third with 4.56s. I put all that in myself, only to discover it was actually a rear wheel bearing. PITA. Now she has an open rear third instead of LSD and I am way too lazy to swap it again. One day, I will get bored and probably put an aussie in the open carrier and sell the G80 rear LSD with the 4.56. I could see swapping the VX to 4.56 as well.
    I scored a set of 16" snowflakes a while back, been sitting in my garage. I found a mom and pop to mount and balance 4 tires for 40 bucks. Sweet deal.

With the OEM wheels, it looked like a scared cat, really tall, way too narrow. With the rodeo wheels, the tires stick out about 2", making the track width about 6" wider. Much more stable, and looks 10 times better.

Now it looks like a man's truck...er woman's truck, since it is supposed to be the wife's. I think its mine, since I do all the work on it.
    It should ship to Missouri sometime in the next few weeks, followed a few weeks later by the VX. Beats the hell out of driving one of the beasties 1500 miles. No thanks.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

That is sooo nice.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    That is sooo nice.

Bart
    Thanks, it looks like a little tonka truck now. The wife actually did most of the bedliner on the rockers/bumpers. She did the sanding and we top coated it twice with the UV protectant. Came out pretty good I think.

Looks good! Much better with the flakes on, do you want some center caps for the rear? I have 2 sitting in my garage
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Sure, if you don't need em. I assume all the snowflakes have the same size centercap? I know the VX wheels do not. The 18" centercaps do not fit the 16" wheels.

These snowflakes are 16s.

I think it needs a roof rack, unfortunately, there isn't a way to mount the cross bars. I would have to weld it to the gutters, which I have seen on some other Zus, when done right, it looks awesome. That means if I do it, it will look horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I would have to weld it to the gutters, which I have seen on some other Zus, when done right, it looks awesome. That means if I do it, it will look horrible

really looks good guys! , I def like the black bedliner lower trim and the snowflakes too.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Ya you can have them. I'm missing a mounting bolt from each one btw but 2 will hold them on or you can pick up 2 bolts. I'll clean them up and paint the centers black (they have Honda emblems on them lol). Just pay shipping and they are yours. You could always mount a stock trooper rack to the roof (drill a few holes) and attach a basket to that.

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    Ya you can have them. I'm missing a mounting bolt from each one btw but 2 will hold them on or you can pick up 2 bolts. I'll clean them up and paint the centers black (they have Honda emblems on them lol). Just pay shipping and they are yours. You could always mount a stock trooper rack to the roof (drill a few holes) and attach a basket to that.
    Sweet. I am always hesitant to drill holes in the roof. Future leaks and whatnot.
    Let me know what to send you, I will paypal you.

K I'll let ya know soon. As for the holes, just put some sealant on the top and bottom before you tighten everything down and you should be good. You could always weld the bolts in and have them as studs to sit the rack down on.

Yeah that has a nice stance now - I also dig the coated belt line!

Ditto on all the above - looks fantastic Chris! Would love to have another rare 2-door SUV that I'd be less afraid to hurt lol.

I am far more afraid of hurting the RS than the VX. It is FAR and away more rare than the VX. Plus, the RS is so much nicer than the VX. The VX looks cooler, but thats about it. Their performance is about the same, 20HP difference and no tod. The interior is a lot more comfortable and it has more rear storage since the rear seats are further forward.
    Unfortunately, its no head turner.

Oh, it has headlight washers and a rear windshield I can see out of

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    DANG...I DO the camaraderie around this here place... ( sorry trek, there I go again...)

Good on you Dude...

As an aside experience...

I once drove an 86 Troop turbo D as my work truck.
    One day, after installing a storm door on a house, I was headed back to the shop with the old door destined for the dumpster.

On an overpass, a gust of wind caught the door, which had been ratchet strapped to the factory rack, & sailed it neary 50 yds into the ditch.

Never heard or felt anything, didn't know I had a bare nekkid roof until I got back to the shop & went to unload the door...

Replaced the stock rack with one of these...http://www.americanvan.com/ladder-ra...upports-1.html (had to cut the width a bit to make it fit)

No more problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    DANG...I DO the camaraderie around this here place... ( sorry trek, there I go again...)
    Me too, that's why I always pay my dues...lol
    Good on you Dude...

As an aside experience...

I once drove an 86 Troop turbo D as my work truck.
    One day, after installing a storm door on a house, I was headed back to the shop with the old door destined for the dumpster.
    Bet you wish you still had that beauty!!!
    On an overpass, a gust of wind caught the door, which had been ratchet strapped to the factory rack, & sailed it neary 50 yds into the ditch.

Never heard or felt anything, didn't know I had a bare nekkid roof until I got back to the shop & went to unload the door...

Replaced the stock rack with one of these...http://www.americanvan.com/ladder-ra...upports-1.html (had to cut the width a bit to make it fit)

No more problem.
    I am thinking a low profile safari style rack(almost flush on the roof) and some waffle boards, I love this look: