Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate the VX in sand?

How would you rate the VX in sand?

Hello everyone,
    So what is your opinion on how well the VX does in sand? Also any good pictures of some VX's in some sand?

Thank You,

'Nuff said.

Mark

shooot

I was kinda kiddin' there. That's at the Dakar rally in Africa and not a stock VX.

This is generally considered one of the best VX photos ever taken. From a Four Wheeler Magazine shoot for their review over ten years ago.

Mark
    Last edited by deermagnet : 08/18/2010 at 09:34 PM

OK thats more like it and what I hoped for
    Thank You Sir

honestly, it ALL depends on your tires and driving style. I basically have shovels for tires when in sand (my mud terrains) but they aren't meant for sand. Now I can still get through sand but you feel it bog down ALOT with my tires in the real soft stuff. A good all terrain tire would be best or the dune grapplers from Nitto are supposed to be good too
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Here on Cape Cod we are often on the sand. It's not just the tires...it's the pressure of the tires that is most important. When on sand I drop in down to 10 lbs in each tire.
    Scott

10 out of 10 !!

Wet Sand

Dry sand

Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Here's a quick vid of Ldub and Suzie in the sand on Poison Spider Mesa (Moab '09). The sand was SUPER fine and Dub is running Nitto Mud Grapplers which are very chunky and probably acted more like paddle tires.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/da...Mesa_09_03.MPG

There where a few others out there whooping it up in the sand and no one seemed to have a problem with it.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Ok so it seems that the VX is for sure the ultimate off road machine.....snow, sand, mud, gravel whatever you throw at it it will make it through. Only thing that it cant do it go over water huh?

Actually, we don't like mud too much. Performance is there but the altenator is mounted low & suseptable to water/mud damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinMA View Post
    Here on Cape Cod we are often on the sand. It's not just the tires...it's the pressure of the tires that is most important. When on sand I drop in down to 10 lbs in each tire.
    X2 forgot to mention that. Have any of you guys driven in the sugar sand of Florida? You walk on it and your feet sink, alot different than that west coast sand lol. The VX is the ultimate offroad machine though and will do just fine in any condition if you prepare for it and drive sensibly. As far as water, why over, just go through it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNeBbJ5EO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ivM_tINlU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEq5gzYNHes

Definitely very good, although as Scott said, lowering tire pressure can be very important depending on the grain and depth of the sand. I've driven on beaches where you didn't even have to put it in 4LO, let alone lower the tire pressure. But I've also been places where the ruts were deep enough to require 10 lbs. per tire and 4LO to dig out and/or turn.

The other tip on running in the sand is to try to keep up momentum to stay on top of it. Slow down too much or stop and you'll sink.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Actually, we don't like mud too much. Performance is there but the altenator is mounted low & suseptable to water/mud damage.
    She may not "like" it but she makes it through it just fine, just keep the alt clean lol

A good all terrain tire would be best or the dune grapplers from Nitto are supposed to be good too
    The Dune grapplers are great in the sand and very great on road too. They are quiet and give a nice ride. I was running them with 20's(not a lot of sidewall) and a 4.5" lift which made the ride harsh when going over bumps or washboards. It was however fantastic on the road and on soft sand or dirt with some of the best traction I've felt. The 285-55-20's I have look like steam roller wheels.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.