Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 99 Dying - CHECK YOUR OIL

Unhappy 99 Dying - CHECK YOUR OIL

Well...Guess I'm just looking for some advice. After being a dilligent oil checker and proud VX owner for 4 years, I laspsed. Too many extraneous things going on (divorce, surguries, last parent about to pass, forclosure).

With all my drama, I lapsed in checking my oil (although it was not burning alot recently). It got a bottom end knock last Tues. After checking, it needed 3.5 qts of oil. I then changed it and there were shavings in it. It'll need a new engine shortly. At least for the immediate future, I do not have the 3-6K it'll take to do that.

It was my remaining "pride and joy" possesion. I'd really love to save it and I may still try (even if i have to garage it for awhile to come up w the $). But with everything else, it might have to go.

Guess I'm just checking on my options. Any budget swaps doable?
    Any ideas on a price for selling it as is? Any thoughts on what parting it might bring?

p.s. - CHECK YOUR #$*&^ OIL

IDK how much of a budget your on, but after the core you can get a complete long block for $2,286 hear

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5240

I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work. virtually no $ right now, but could come up with 3k in 3-4 months...asumming they are not any new surpises in my life

When I worked for Auto Zone, I remember seeing this stuff called No Knock or something like that and it was supposed to try and keep your motor on it's last leg for as long as possible. I just tried to google it and couldn't find anything on it but it's in a gray bottle with black lettering. Sorry I can't be more help to you.

I'm going to make a note of that link/price
    Quote Originally Posted by surf-life View Post
    IDK how much of a budget your on, but after the core you can get a complete long block for $2,286 hear

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5240

thanks for the link
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by onetraxmine View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work. virtually no $ right now, but could come up with 3k in 3-4 months...asumming they are not any new surpises in my life
    Hello.

Get in touch with "ianiroman" he did a swap with an 2002 isuzu axiom engine long block that doesn't burn any oil.

Long block can be found around $ 2000-2500 over the internet and you can use the short block of the VX engine with no problems at all.
    Long block must be one produced before march 2002 with the 8th digit being an "X".

Anyways get in touch with iamironman for more precise info.
    Dakar was just the begining.

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

All i can say is hang in there and don't give up. I had my motor blow up on me too because of oil related issues. It took me six months of saving a couple hundred here and a couple hundred there until I saved the money to get a replacement motor. All while I was still making car payments and struggling with no vehicle. I wasn't about to give up hope. Now my baby is back with me and running great. I literally check my oil daily now.

I have found

if you pay attention to the sound of the motor you can tell when it needs oil. It gets a little louder and whinier

Try maybe some "Motor Honey" and run it as long as you can if its all you have to drive.
    Sorry to hear.

Thanks for all the condolencses. Still not sure what Im gonna do, but I'll keep y'all informed if i swap moptors, sell or part.

YOu could disassemble and maybe line bore the block and go for oversized main bearings if the crank can be turned. Worth checking out.

it is actually still running, but with a start up knock and a tick from the bottom end, it's not viable for anything other than moving in and out of the garage

my 1999 burns oil, it doesn't foul it, it just vanishs; I add a quart by routine, every 2 to 3 tanks of gas, problebly more than that, it just consumes it; then every 1500 to 2000 miles, I when it's low I just dump it, and fill it up, all the way, plus an extra half quart, I also bought a case of CERTECH, and use that every fill. Its my understanding that the problem is the oil ring, lacking adequate number of drain back holes. Anyone know if thats true?

Cowboy.. I have the same frickin' problem.. Gotta watch that oil level.. I wind of going through a quart every 1k miles. Using a thicker viscosity doesn't seem to help either..

And it is interesting that my vehicle still passes emissions... ;0)

But I'd be careful about overfilling though..

Dio