Thread: Isuzu Fog Light switch issues please help :)

Isuzu Fog Light switch issues please help :)

So I am wiring up my Hella Micro DE's to the Isuzu factory fog light switch from a Isuzu Trooper, and I screwed something up last night.

Everything was fine, light on the switch inside was on only when button was depressed, aux light is perfect, but then when I hooked the fogs up when I pushed the button, it blew the relay and blew the small bulb inside the fog light switch that lets you know the lights are on.

So, I think I should just start from scratch:
    -I have a good positive battery cable straight to the + on the battery
    -I have the grounds on the bulbs going straight back to the battery -

^The above I have tested with a normal (no relay) switch and it works perfectly with the battery positive and negative connections.

(I also have a good body ground if I need it)
    -There were 3 wires coming to the hood from the switch inside

I need to know how to properly hook up this Isuzu Fog light switch to a relay and then how to connect this to my working fogs.

I think one of those wires from the switch needs to go to the fog lights ground maybe? I know one of those wires was already hooked up to the aux light line (didn't change this), but the one that was hooked up to the body ground I changed to the aux negative. I am assuming 1 wire needs to go the the relay, and I know I need to buy a relay, the issue I am dealing with is that the Hella relay I was using blew and I am trying to use a different relay and can't figure out how to hook everything up.

Basically I need a little help in buying a normal relay for this kind of stuff and guidance as far as which wires on that switch to hook up to what, and how to hook up the fogs and switch to a relay. Normally I am really good at this stuff I just changed to much stuff last night and got frustrated when I blew the one and only relay I had on hand, and I now need to take the dash and bumper off again tomorrow to fix what I blew today

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Bazing-o!! The two things that Dub posted are the two things that I used when I installed my fog lights. They aren't Micro DE's, but the install was very similar.
    Ryan, I'm wondering if you have a short somewhere that is grounding out and blowing the relay. If you don't completely start over, at least go over your wiring bit by bit to make sure everything is hooked up correctly.
    Good luck, and pics when you're done.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Anyone know if the diagram that Ldub has links to (above in post #2) is accurate? I just got the trunk popper switch and the fog switch and was going to knock it out this weekend.

I know there is other traffic suggesting that the polarity from Moncha is wrong. Just wanted to check before I start running wires.

I also need to come us with the female ends that plug into the backs as mine don't have that and its pretty tight in there to be soldering.
    -Wekilled
    douglaswekell(at)gmail.com

FWIW,here is what I found a few months ago when I did mine:
    Well, I tried using the write up for the switch diagram, only to discover that my foglight switch was not the same as Scott's. I spent a good 1.5 hours with all my switches taking resistance readings and making charts to figure out what leads did what. All said and done, I discovered that the tailgate switch is only a momentary contact, so no go there for wiring up accessories. The cruise switch must have some external input to determine if the switch is open or shut, I would imagine similar to the tailgate switch, only I never got a low resistance reading for any of the lead combinations.
    The hazard light switch has multiple possibilities including a off/shut combination and 4 other switched shut combinations. You could do lots with that switch(various lighting setups, fogs/brights roof and so on), only no light on the switch itself.
    I used a factory OEM fog light switch from some Isuzu (could have been rodeo or trooper, I have no idea) and a generic 30amp relay that often comes with foglights or can be bought loose for about 6 bucks. Here is the wiring setup I used
    From left to right, with the 5th pin being on the bottom right row.
    Power for relay and on off light
    Cruise switch Blue with white stripe to Fog light switch red with blue stripe

Dash light-
    Cruise switch Green with red stripe to same on Fog light switch
    Cruise switch Red with green stripe to same on Fog light switch

Power to Relay coil-
    86 to Fog light switch yellow
    87 to ground (I used the bottom left mounting screw for the glovebox, very convenient and out of sight)

Power to distribution block-
    85 to distribution block feeder
    30 directly to + terminal of battery with inline 25A fuse

I used 10ga power wire from the battery to the relay/fuse block.
    I used 14ga to the CB and monitor and 10 ga for the inverter.

I used the radioshack medium sized project box and it fit perfectly in the glove box with the relay and fuse block inside and left room for the manuals, extra fuses and other junk I keep in there. I drilled separate holes in the project box for the loads and the relay to minimize confusion for future use. I have the CB, ac/dc inverter, and my rear view monitior and camera hooked up to the distribution block, later I will add some foglights. I
    All in all I am happy with it. Here are a few pics, I moved my DC power strip as well, still have to run the wires but it got hot outside, time to come inside when you are so hot that your nose starts running.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

.... to Fog light switch red with blue stripe

Dash light-
    .....with red stripe to same on Fog light switch
    ...... Red with green stripe to same on Fog light switch

86 to Fog light switch yellow
    87 to ground

Power to distribution block-
    85 to distribution block feeder
    30 directly to + terminal of battery with inline 25A fuse
    Marlin:
    Stupid question, (but I've been writing finals all night & braindead), so:

-30, 85, 86, 87 are those terminal numbers like on a schematic?
    -you reference going to colored wires on the new fog switch. Since mine came w/o pigtails I have no colors to reference. Tracking on the other switches--just have metal terminals on mine, no pigtail wires to splice off of.

I might be able to figure it out with my volt meter, you and deermagnet, and Moncha's diagram.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    www.the12volt.com has great information regarding relays....

basically a relay is- 12v, GND, input, output, switched (turns the output on and off).
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by wekilled View Post
    Marlin:
    Stupid question, (but I've been writing finals all night & braindead), so:

-30, 85, 86, 87 are those terminal numbers like on a schematic?
    -you reference going to colored wires on the new fog switch. Since mine came w/o pigtails I have no colors to reference. Tracking on the other switches--just have metal terminals on mine, no pigtail wires to splice off of.

I might be able to figure it out with my volt meter, you and deermagnet, and Moncha's diagram.
    Touche, the 30-87 are the numbers that are found on the relay. It is very important to run whatever accessory you want off of a relay vice the switch, they are very low current handling switches.

I will pop out a switch this afternoon and get you pin numbers off the switch instead of the colors..

Thks. Whenever you have time. I know its a hassle. Will have to see if Autozone or Napa has that brand of relay. More limited here in Monterey than I was at Fort Lewis.