Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Selector Shaft Seal: Transmission Leak

IIRC, you can do it without draining the ATF. But I think I did a full trans service when I did mine so I had the pan dropped.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    IIRC, you can do it without draining the ATF. But I think I did a full trans service when I did mine so I had the pan dropped.

Bart
    Thanks Bart.

hmmmm.....perhaps I should have my mechanic do it then?

I know its easy, but I dont have the setup for draining things.

Anyone else remember if its required to drain the atf first?

Bart - Any other tips before I get started? Are you still using that tool, or can I buy or borrow it from you? Otherwise, I can purchase it from amazon (its roughly $30)

Well, its buried in my garage somewhere, probably be faster if you just buy one.

Bart

No worries. Will do.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Thanks Bart.

hmmmm.....perhaps I should have my mechanic do it then?

I know its easy, but I dont have the setup for draining things.

Anyone else remember if its required to drain the atf first?

Bart - Any other tips before I get started? Are you still using that tool, or can I buy or borrow it from you? Otherwise, I can purchase it from amazon (its roughly $30)
    It's very easy and took me only 30 minutes. This was after I was quoted $550 from a trans shop and they claimed it was a 5 hr job and the exhaust had to be dropped... RIP OFF!!!!

I did not drain the trans fluid when I replaced the seal.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    It's very easy and took me only 30 minutes. This was after I was quoted $550 from a trans shop and they claimed it was a 5 hr job and the exhaust had to be dropped... RIP OFF!!!!

I did not drain the trans fluid when I replaced the seal.
    Awesome! I ordered the part ($5-ish) and the tool ($30-ish) so for $35 this could be wonderful......knock on wood.

Did you do any fluid flushing or anything after?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Awesome! I ordered the part ($5-ish) and the tool ($30-ish) so for $35 this could be wonderful......knock on wood.

Did you do any fluid flushing or anything after?
    This was the very first repair I had on mine, the first month I owned it. Took it to the former Isuzu dealership and to my very big surprise, parts and labor was only $106! Very short job, nothing was drained, think I waited a little less than 2 hrs.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

It will probably take longer to jack it up and put it on jack stands. I tried using 50 years of wrenching tricks and nothing worked. Bought the special tool and it was a 5 minute job without dropping the pan. The tool also helps install the new one
    Mike

I had my seal replaced by a shop. Now, I have to move the shifter around to get it to start. Also, I am having some intermttent hard shifts...

I'm going to take the VX back up to the shop...but, I'm wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on wtf they did to the car? Over/under filled the fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by ojmagg View Post
    I had my seal replaced by a shop. Now, I have to move the shifter around to get it to start. Also, I am having some intermttent hard shifts...

I'm going to take the VX back up to the shop...but, I'm wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on wtf they did to the car? Over/under filled the fluid?
    I watched and asked questions as my skilled mechanic replaced my seal. At the end, he confirmed that all gears worked properly and that the VX only started in neutral and park...or just park, I cant remember. The point is that he checked these things and said that things can be out of alignment when the selector switch is put back on.

I would have your mechanic adjust it.

Or your mode selector switch could be going out as well.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by ojmagg View Post

My guess is the trans linkage adjustment bolt was not adjust properly after they did the work. They didn't need to touch the linkage bolt but easily could have just assuming is was necessary. The linkage needs to be adjusted properly to get the trans positions correct between the console & mode selector switch.

Here's the pic of it.

Big thanks...I explained this to the trans guys...I think the tech understands...will let you know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    My guess is the trans linkage adjustment bolt was not adjust properly after they did the work. They didn't need to touch the linkage bolt but easily could have just assuming is was necessary. The linkage needs to be adjusted properly to get the trans positions correct between the console & mode selector switch.

That's totally what I meant. Just without a good use of terminology to hand off to your mechanic.

Anyone bought a tool and want to loan/sell it to me, pretty sure I'm having the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by KILNA View Post
    Anyone bought a tool and want to loan/sell it to me, pretty sure I'm having the same problem.
    sorry for the delay in responding....

You are more than welcome to borrow mine per my offer below:
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24426

Let me know your address and I will get the cost for shipping to and from. You can then compare that to the cost for the tool and see if it makes sense to borrow or buy from where I bought from.