Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Selector Shaft Seal: Transmission Leak

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    sorry for the delay in responding....

You are more than welcome to borrow mine per my offer below:
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24426

Let me know your address and I will get the cost for shipping to and from. You can then compare that to the cost for the tool and see if it makes sense to borrow or buy from where I bought from.
    What a guy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    What a guy!!!
    Indeed!

Anyone by chance have a picture of what this seal looks like? Was at the local parts store and they had two different looking seals (one is thinner than the other) and want to make sure I pick up the correct one. I looked up the part number online and found several "generic" pictures but all looked different.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Resurrecting this thread, as I'm having the same issue myself now... Linky no worky above - seems like this should be a fairly "generic" and/or GM part - can anyone give me a P/N for the correct part that I can just go to my local auto parts store and order? The Isuzu part number would be my "fallback", since I'd prefer to just buy it locally and get it the next day. Guess I'll buy the tool off Amazon too...

I noticed a leak pooling by the adapter pan that I hoped was just the gasket I didn't replace, nope that's fine and its this selector shaft seal. Ordered the parts, hope its as easy as you say it is!

You can check for the leak by spraying with brake clean and then stuffing a paper towel around the selector above the top of the oil pan. Let it stay overnight. If it's dry it's not leaking there.
    Mike

Well tried it today, but can't get the tool to insert on the seal. Tried turning it, pushing it, tapping it, and a combination of each. It just wont go on. Gonna button it back up since the sun is going down. Am I just a wimp?

Also managed to bugger the gear lever somehow...the gear selector falls all the way down to 2 without a button press and goes halfway into reverse from 2. Got it parked for now until I can figure it out. I wouldn't think I'd be able to have put it back together in a different gear since it would seem the rod matched the selector position. The selector shaft did change gears while loosening it though.

Got the seal off today and the new one in, the old seal was completely plastic and twice as long. All the pics I've seen of the seal online was a metal ring with a rubber seal on the inside. I'll post a picture showing the comparisons. The problem ended up being the tool, I had to file it down so it could actually insert the threads in and then it came out pretty easy. Haven't checked to see if the shifting is still messed up, I think I forgot a washer on the shaft connection (with the cotter pin) and it was allowing some play in the movement. Gotta do the axle fluids then I will check.

Metal/smaller one is the new one. Still don't know if my linkage has been fixed by putting it all back on again, as with my horrible luck I snapped the rear axle drain bolt putting it back on. Gotta try to extract it tomorrow and put fluid in.