Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins...

And so it begins...

I have finally started working on getting the engine out of my VX. It has already been a battle, all the downstream exhaust bolts had to be cut off. While removing the rear cross member bolts, half of them broke due to almost being rusted into. Now I will have my work cut out for me there. The drivers side exhaust pipe was no trouble getting worked out. However, I was not able to get the passenger side worked out. It appears the only way to get it out is to remove the transfer case?? Is that correct??? If so that will bite as I was not intending on splitting the transfer case from the transmission. Welcome all suggestions at this point.

I'll keep updating this post as I continue fixing my VX. I have alot of teenager sauce/abuse to get off this thing. I'll post some pictures as I go along too.

Buffy, you might PM "Ascinder" on the forum here, he has completely disassembled his VX and I bet he could answer some of your questions about pulling the motor and tranny and exhaust and whatnot.

I feel sorry for you folks out east and all the rust you have to deal with.

Bart

if you are removing the engine only, you keep the transfer case where it belongs. to remove the exhaust pipe from the pass side i used the long swivel head type sockets and also had to drop the torsion bar
    Last edited by ZubrAZ : 08/29/2010 at 10:09 PM

To remove the exhaust pipes from the engine, I used a couple of "wobble" extensions. Use 1/2" not 3/8"-ask me how I know. Be very careful too, because it's easy to round off the nuts at the angles you'll be working at. The real PITA you're probably going to have is the upper transmission bellhousing bolts attaching it to the engine. Those were very difficult to persuade out. If you have small hands it helps.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I have never actually removed a torsion bar before. If I was reading the manual correctly, I do not need to use a torsion bar key to remove the bar?? I just need to mark the bolts and both ends of the bar then remove. Does this sound right??

Yep, and measure your distance from the top of your tire to the edge of your wheelwell just to be able to set it back up where it is now. It isn't absolutely necessary, but it may save you having to look up the stock numbers later. Once the mounts are detached and the adjuster bolts are loosened, the bars slide out IIRC.

I have all 4 wheels up in the air at the moment. Do I need to jack the side up that I am removing to release tension??

Not exactly, you will just need to loosen the adjuster bolt all the way out until the arm releases at which point the shock absorbers if still installed will force everything downwards(if your shocks aren't blown). You may have to use a jack on the wheel or A-arm( a little bit only-and remember to support your vehicle elsewhere) to compensate for the shock wanting to extend. You should then be able to wiggle the torsion bar out(assuming everything else is disconnected). I feel like I'm forgetting something though. It seems there may be one or two more things holding the torsion bars in, but nothing major. Mine have been out for quite some time now. You may have to fight your swaybar a bit too since it will try to make one side do what the other side does.

my rear wheels were on the ground while i was working on it. and i had a really hard time pulling it out from the end that closer to the engine. wd40 or substitute will help

I made some good progress Wednesday night. The tranny is only being held in with 2 bolts. The down side is I lost my help until this coming Wednesday. I may try to slip out the tranny by myself. I am really excited to get my VX on the road, getting closer!!

Surgery underway...

If you remove the shifter first, you have access to alot of connections that are a pain from other the car. Figured this out after the fact....

I've read that the wiring goes all the way back to the tranny and boy does it.

Tranny propped up waiting to get removed...

Amigo ready for new home.....

Lookin good. Anytime you feel like it's getting tough, let me know and I'll send you some pics, lol, my VX's insides will make you cringe. It's like comparing a paper cut to a vivisection.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Not to run too far off topic but...it that an Ironman edition Amigo?
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

No it is not an Ironman Edition, at least not that I am aware of.

Got some more work done on the VX yesterday. The motor and tranny are now ready to come out.... I just need my mechanic help to get it all out.

Tech tip here, the common chamber has to come off because there are electrical connections under it. The other interesting thing to note is where the gas lines disconnect.... all the way back on the transmossion..

The wiring headace continues, the wiring harness goes all the way from the drivers side all the way to the rear of the motor on the passenger side or any kind of break what so ever....

Shameless toy picture....

Back to live action.... Motor ready to lift out.....

I never had to remove the common chamber at all when I took mine out. But I can see how that might have made things easier. Nice progress!