Thread: RearView Mirror (with extras)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RearView Mirror (with extras)

I have been thinking about this for a while now and it's time to get some input. I have my Garmin mounted in the left corner of my dash with it hardwired into a 12VDC adapter I installed behind the dash. I was looking at backup cameras and thought where would I put another monitor? It would be nice to consolidate into one unit and add some other goodies like bluetooth handsfree. I've narrowed it down to a few models that I like that keep that stock look and feel.

Mediaview makes several models and I am looking at the MV-1627DR. I like this model because when the GPS is in turn-by-turn direction mode it can be set to only come on when you are approaching the turn leaving you full use of the mirror most of the time. This unit also has multiple inputs for additional cameras and DVD play. Also includes remote

http://mediaviewtech.com/product.htm

Azentek makes the smartmirror which has a very factory look and feel to it and the GPS is touchscreen. It includes a backup camera in the package. This mirror also has homelink where the mediaview mirror does not.

http://www.azentekonline.com/cms/content/view/100/186/

Youtube has videos of both
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1zhy...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2juU...eature=related

What do you peeps think?
    Last edited by hyperkid : 09/03/2010 at 10:00 AM

It's very tempting and very quick and nice solution, the only thing I can contribute is that I believe it's a better idea to have BT and Navi integrated in your multimedia system so that it mutes music/radio automatically once it realizes you're making/receiving a call or it's about to give you the navigation instruction. It's more expensive and harder to install, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

But if you don't listen to music/radio in your car, mirror would be the best way to go.

How about listing the best prices you got on these two units - and how easy are they to install ??

I'd also think that a person would be better off having the nav setup seperate so that any passengers helping to follow the given directions would have it easier without having to turn the mirror away from the driver.

I do like the integrated backup camera and Homelink options though.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    I'd also think that a person would be better off having the nav setup seperate so that any passengers helping to follow the given directions would have it easier without having to turn the mirror away from the driver.

I would agree with this statement for any other car, but I honestly use my rear-view mirror so little because of the lilliputian rear window we have, that I would rather remove it for greater forward visibility....

Custom painted S/C Ironman (ex. VX-King Copper, Rickster's Chameleon)
    I think it is an awesome idea, original rearview mirror is of little use, and l've also been thinking of switching it to GPS+backup camera device... so l look forward to you doing all the hardwork, posting resules and me stealing your idea
    Vodka... Connecting people