Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: blew out my CV Joint

Are you sure you really need to get new ones. 100% certain you are feeling bits or parts that mean it is broke? I have torn a boot and stuck my hand in it to feel the shaft and or other pieces. All I needed was a new boot.

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    Mine wasn't as easy, but the puller took all of 15 seconds to pop it off. That and I don't like hitting the stud of the joint with a BFH, if you screw up the threads, good luck getting a nut back on lol. I've had to grind down the stud on them before and rethread one when that happened, even using the nut as a protector it can still booger up the threads
    Not on the threads silly, just hit the casting, it will pop the ball joint right out of the lower control arm.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I was talking about removing it from the spindle lol. When I unbolted mine from the control arm I just pulled it off
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    I was talking about removing it from the spindle lol. When I unbolted mine from the control arm I just pulled it off
    I know that, I am talking about getting it off the spindle as well, just whack it with a hammer and they pop out. The guys at the Spring Zu meet showed me that as I was struggling to try and get it free with a fork. He alked up, grabbed, Manuel, my 3lb sledge, and whack, it came free. Its how I do it every time now

huh, I'll have to try that next time. I had my puller tool handy and it worked quick too, used the mini-sledge on the uppers though. You talking about whacking the spindle where it goes through down there?

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Are you sure you really need to get new ones. 100% certain you are feeling bits or parts that mean it is broke? I have torn a boot and stuck my hand in it to feel the shaft and or other pieces. All I needed was a new boot.
    Yes, I have experienced the same thing while mudding. My cage that holds all the balls in place just exploded in half. And then a few months later my other side fell out while driving (I think I broke that one as well, haha). I got one from a trooper, but it would click and skip while turning in 4Hi because the balls were smaller diameter, anyone with the trooper ones experience this as well?

so they skipped therefore weren't turning the front wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post

its not so much the feeling, it is the being capable of moving them around with my finger, they slide up and down the shaft... I need to replace the boot on the other side, and i even reached into that side and checked it out, it is solid, the driver side id like playing with marbles (the ball bearings of course)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Yes, I have experienced the same thing while mudding. My cage that holds all the balls in place just exploded in half. And then a few months later my other side fell out while driving (I think I broke that one as well, haha). I got one from a trooper, but it would click and skip while turning in 4Hi because the balls were smaller diameter, anyone with the trooper ones experience this as well?
    please explain this so called "skipping", kinda of making me feel uneasy lol.

Also are there any pics or detailed descriptions on the lower ball joint and how to remove it? I assume it is as well is going to have to come off...

Lastly, if i order the part i posted in an earlier response do i separate it to be able to install it into my green cup looking part?

When I do this i am going to take a million pics and make it very descriptive...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by killinformula View Post
    please explain this so called "skipping", kinda of making me feel uneasy lol.

Also are there any pics or detailed descriptions on the lower ball joint and how to remove it? I assume it is as well is going to have to come off...

Lastly, if i order the part i posted in an earlier response do i separate it to be able to install it into my green cup looking part?

When I do this i am going to take a million pics and make it very descriptive...
    The skipping for me was just like you could tell that the balls were rotating around when they shouldn't be. This might not be the case on a brand new unit mine was used.

Lower ball joint is easy, as with any bolts on the VX that need to be moved just start soaking it with PB Blaster (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=pb+blaster) the days before you try to break it loose and normally you won't have too many problems.

All these pics and descriptions are already avaliable for the "front diff drop brackets" or the "CV boot installation", all you have to do extra is undo the wheels hubs which is a few allen bolts and a c clip, you can figure that one out easily. Talk to Tom4bren if you cannot find them on here or on the isuzu planet website's. Really is an easy project just a little messy at times, buy LOTS of shop towels and brake cleaner for the CV grease clean up