Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EBC brake pads and Apex brake lines

EBC brake pads and Apex brake lines

Well, I am not bitching about my brakes anymore. I just replaced the front pads with some EBC Green stuff, 6000 series brake pads. Between that and the Apex Stainless steel brake lines, the truck stops on a dime. I can't wait till the rear pads show up. Should be next week sometime. The EBC pads come with some type of break in coating. Feels like ROUGH sand paper. You can feel em grind on the rotors, now all the little grooves that were in my rotors are pretty much gone, and I only drove about a mile.

Brake upgrades to date:
    Front and rear Apex stainless steel lines
    EBC green stuff 6000 pads (front for now, rear on the way)
    Magnum cross drilled rotors.

Problem with just having the front, it tends to dive, even with the front ranchos at 9 and the rears at 5. I will update once I replace the rears to see if the diving reduces.

I give two thumbs up for the EBCs and the Apex lines. The apex lines are like 70 bucks shipped, and if you email em, they will custom make you a set, they have blue red black and clear. I got the red, and plus 2" in length ,same price. They are pretty nice, although they put the sliding portion of the line that clips in, backwards. no biggie, I just ziptied it in, but they said they would replace them for free, I just wasn't willing to wait.
    Last edited by Marlin : 09/11/2010 at 07:12 AM

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Alright, just finished putting the rear pads on, replacing the blown brake line, and troubleshooting rear brakes. I made a rookie mistake, wife came home, and I asked her to help me bleed the front while I was in the process of doing rear pads, had the drivers rear caliper off, had her press pedal to make sure the piston moved. No problemo. Proceeded to the passenger front and set up for bleeding. I never put the rear caliper on. I was putting brake fluid in the reservoir as she was pumping the brakes. Fluid kept going down? Then I noticed fluid all over the ground. Damn, blew the piston out of the caliper. That thing is a PITA to get back in, so ended up having to bleed two lines. Long story short, the truck stops much better, I am not sure what glazed pads look or feel like, but I think that might have been the problem. I can almost get her to slide from 30 mph, the tires just start to break loose. Awesome, nice to have the truck back after 9 days of no VX. The Tonka toy, or as my kids call it, the robot car is back in business!! Next mod to the VX,superflexy IFS, low pro front bump stops, ball joint flip with spacer.
    That I can do over the 3 day weekend if the IFS kit comes in time If not, look for update on the Trooper RS thread, lift, ranchos, CB, stereo, ...and a slew of other things.

Sounds like you are running out of things to do so, if you can get the Navy to fly you out here for some "training" I am sure I can find a thing or four that needs done on mine!

Glad you got the brakes worked out!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Sounds like you are running out of things to do so, if you can get the Navy to fly you out here for some "training" I am sure I can find a thing or four that needs done on mine!

Glad you got the brakes worked out!
    All this while teaching, taking two college classes, 29000 gamer score on xbox360...and I read a book or so a month. Getting ready to finish book 11 of the Wheel of Time series, a sad day when I am done

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    All this while teaching, taking two college classes, 29000 gamer score on xbox360...and I read a book or so a month. Getting ready to finish book 11 of the Wheel of Time series, a sad day when I am done
    Small thread jack but...WHEEL OF TIME ROCKS....

We now resume our regularly scheduled thread...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Small thread jack but...WHEEL OF TIME ROCKS....

We now resume our regularly scheduled thread...
    Well, it is my thread, so as far as the WOT, I read between 80-100 pages an hour, so I try to wait until a series has a dozen books before I start. Jean Aul, clan of the cave bear series was good, Dragons of Pern, Sword of Truth, Elves of Shanarra, Planet Earth Decalogy, all good series of books. Deployments= lots of reading.

Careful to ween yourself off of whatever you're on well before your next piss test.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Careful to ween yourself off of whatever you're on well before your next piss test.
    Nope, I am in bed by 11 and up at 530ish. No drugs, except of the fermented grapes type, for this guy. Its all about time management, if the kids are taking a nap, thats me time!!! I used to play video games at 4am before the kids got up. Then the VX came along...now I try to get the boys involved with the truck, my oldest loves to "help" me on it. Maybe I should bring him to Moab and he can do oil changes on the stoop or at the campground, a few more years and he can be my DD. (He's 5, but I started driving the stake truck on the farm when I was 6 or 7)

Well, it is my thread, so as far as the WOT, I read between 80-100 pages an hour, so I try to wait until a series has a dozen books before I start. Jean Aul, clan of the cave bear series was good, Dragons of Pern, Sword of Truth, Elves of Shanarra, Planet Earth Decalogy, all good series of books. Deployments= lots of reading.
    I like your choice in books.

Have you read the Piers Anthony Xanth collection? His trilogy grew to 15 or 20 books before I stopped reading them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I like your choice in books.

Have you read the Piers Anthony Xanth collection? His trilogy grew to 15 or 20 books before I stopped reading them.
    One of the greatest authors ever...I have the entire set on a book shelf. I have hundreds of books, I am starting the Shannarra series again.

Update on the brakes, rear pads installed, everything is great! Drives and stops like a normal vehicle now.

Drives and stops like a normal vehicle now.
    We assume you are talking in relative terms here!!!

Marlinstein VX
    Trooper about to go under the knife
    Poor man's RV/car trailer/tent/POD on wheels

Dude, you REALLY need to steal Eric's siggy.

UBC Pads

I'm in the process of replacing all brake pads and rotors front and rear. I'm using the UBC pads front and rear and Concept 1 drilled/slotted rotors. I'm gonna paint the hub centers yellow to match the calipers so I'm kinda excited. I can't wait to get it finished to see the difference. My proton has always performed well brake-wise but I think this will make a respectable improvement. Should be done in a week or so.

If it makes as dramatic an improvement as my upgrades did...you better get a 5 point harness and hold on.

Sounds sweet, can't wait to see pics!

Thanks for the tips on these brake upgrades. I've been looking into this. Here's what I was considering.......

Apex SS brake lines from Ebay
    Brembo drilled and slotted rotors from Brakeworld.com
    Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic Pads from Brakeworld.com

Can anyone recommend some calipers and a good place to buy? Also, what else should I consider for my braking system. What Fluids, etc.?
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3