Thread: Rear Differential leaking

Question Rear Differential leaking

Anyone have this problem? I just noticed a minor leak at the shaft input of the rear differential. I assuming it's the oil seal. Haven't taken it apart yet but might this weekend.
    I'll post up my results when I do.
    Andy C
    01 Firefox VX
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Anyone have this problem? I just noticed a minor leak at the shaft input of the rear differential. I assuming it's the oil seal. Haven't taken it apart yet but might this weekend.
    I'll post up my results when I do.
    Andy,

Using our little search function, I found a few references to people having a leak in their rear differential. Unfortunately, they all took it to the dealer for repair. I couldn't find any references to anyone that did the work themselves.

You may want to PM LittleBeast. He re-geared his last year so probably has some insights for you.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Be careful of this unless you know exactly what you are doing.

IIRC there is a crushable spacer under the flange nut, that sets the preload on the pinion bearings. If you don't replace this spacer and set the load on the bearings correctly you will end up with a hell of a howl from the diff, and premature wear.
    To do it the correct way, you would need to pull the axles and diff out, and set it up on the workbench.
    Even the easy way with the diff still in the car, you at least have to pull both axles out, to set the bearing preload correctly.

My diff has a weep around the seal, but it will be left until it is a real leak before it gets fixed.

Good luck.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Humm I did try a search but came up with nothing ? I guess I might check to see if it falls under the drivetrain warranty - think I still have coverage
    PK - Sounds pretty intense - might be better to see if I can get it done under warranty
    Thanks guys for the insight.

If you end up not having it under warranty, I have a non leaking perfect condition third member(complete differential) sitting on the bench right now. It's absolutely worthless to me, so I'd let it go for real cheap.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

check the breather tube that comes off the top of the diff. mine used to clog up all the time and i would get fluid coming out from right where you are describing. after putting a breather filter back there and eliminating the cap, no more leak!

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Thank etlsport I'll check that. I can't imagine the seal is bad since I'm at around 50k and it's had a good life

ascinder I'll keep you in mind but your far away

Rear 3rd member

I realize this is an old post, but you wouldn't happen to still have that 3rd member available would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    If you end up not having it under warranty, I have a non leaking perfect condition third member(complete differential) sitting on the bench right now. It's absolutely worthless to me, so I'd let it go for real cheap.