Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: had to share...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

had to share...

When I originally signed on to this site as a newbie, I made a comment that I was thinking about taking out my hi-lo shifter 'cause I don't see the need.

Well, I was bombarded by some not-so-friendly comments... someone said that I should have bought a Hyundai instead... Today, while drivin' around (in a manner that the Hyundai couldn't think of doin') I saw a couple of them.

Needless to say, I think I threw up a little in my mouth. They really are not good looking at all and are definately a soccer-mom type of shuttle van.

I love bombing around in the VX... it handles great and has enough giddy-up for spirited driving. More often than not, wifey takes the 350Z to work and leaves the VX to me.... Either way, I can scoot around in style!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

if you wanted to remove the hi-low shifter, you could just use a pneumatic or hydraulic actuator and embed it just below the shifter. Run the trigger to the dash. Its just a forward and back motion.

Maybe I missed something, but why was the shifter going to be taken out? Was it in the way? It seems like you didn't intend to use it, but then why go to the trouble of even taking it out? Why not just leave it alone and let it gather cobwebs?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Maybe I missed something, but why was the shifter going to be taken out? Was it in the way? It seems like you didn't intend to use it, but then why go to the trouble of even taking it out? Why not just leave it alone and let it gather cobwebs?
    IIRC it had something to do with needing some CUPHOLDERS...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Oh man

What's so wrong in needing at least one cupholder in a street driven vehicle? The VX has none... at least the Z has one retractable coming right out of the dash.

If someone tries to tell me that they don't drink their water, energy drink, soda, or whatever, while on the road, then I have to call b******t.......... lol!

Actually, now that I think about it, my wife was bringing an iced tea home for me to try (in the first week we owned our VX) and she launched it because she had put it in the square storage hole that gives you false hope... until you're cleaning up 20fl oz that is now all over your carpet, shifter, etc.
    So, no one can complain about drinking their liquids while driving... sometimes the liquids need to just be transported in a secure manner.....

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    When I originally signed on to this site as a newbie, I made a comment that I was thinking about taking out my hi-lo shifter 'cause I don't see the need.

Well, I was bombarded by some not-so-friendly comments
    It does seem a little extreme for a cup holder

at least the Z has one retractable coming right out of the dash
    I think someone did that mod in a VX

I love bombing around in the VX... it handles great and has enough giddy-up for spirited driving
    X2

What's so wrong in needing at least one cupholder in a street driven vehicle? The VX has none... at least the Z has one retractable coming right out of the dash.

If someone tries to tell me that they don't drink their water, energy drink, soda, or whatever, while on the road, then I have to call b******t.......... lol!

Actually, now that I think about it, my wife was bringing an iced tea home for me to try (in the first week we owned our VX) and she launched it because she had put it in the square storage hole that gives you false hope... until you're cleaning up 20fl oz that is now all over your carpet, shifter, etc.
    So, no one can complain about drinking their liquids while driving... sometimes the liquids need to just be transported in a secure manner.....
    As in many things in life, it's all in the execution. I think you got attacked because you so readily threw a core component of the VX up on the chopping block for so trivial a convenience. Why not just cut out a hole in the armrest? It's a fairly expendable part. You could also put in any number of screw in or adhesive mounted aftermarket drink holders. I like my drinks in the ride as much as anyone, Bart and Clint will attest to what a coffee hound I am, but I(and a fair amount of others) would rather see just about anything get carved out of the dash, center console, doors, roof, you name it before we ever thought of disabling that component for the sake of a drink. I'm not trying to "attack" you, just show the other point of view. To the rest of us it's kind of like cutting off half your hand because you saw a great deal on some three fingered gloves. But that's what makes this forum great, everyone's still family despite any weird idiosyncrasies. Why do you think we keep ZEUS and Ldub around? It's not just for our own entertainment.....I swear

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Why not just cut out a hole in the armrest?
    Hmmm, thats a good idea, I am gonna look into that one, my arm rest is pristine, so I would offer it up as a swap for someone that has a worn one, as long as it is structurally sound. I also did the Euro junior cup holder on the flat part where the ebrake handle rests, its alright, but after driving the VX home with ebrake only, it was a PITA.
    I am gonna have to look at this

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Funny thing is, I don't see it as that extreme... I didn't buy my VX to go 4 wheelin'. I mean, I have my share of dirt roads right in my neighborhood, but they don't call for 4wd lo.

What is extreme though, are the aftermarket lifts, locking diffs, wheel, tires, h.d rear ends, etc., that people pour thousands of dollars into. Now THAT is trying to make the VX into something it wasn't really designed to do... Isn't the VX's claim to fame more of a rally champion?

Don't most gear shifters come off with a single nut/bolt, or possibly a steel pin that would be tapped out? No harm, no foul... I like things visuallly apealing (ex-body & paint guy) so if I see a possibility of making something look "right" then I might go for it. That way I don't have things that look like an afterthought.

It's all good... when I first made my comment a few months back, I was new to the whole world of forum posting. At first I was amazed/disgusted/shocked that people would be so straight forward with opinions and downright rude, but now I know that (almost) anything goes.........

but then, if you are carrying a drink, where do you "rest your arm?"... lol

At 10 and 2, where they belong, like any safe driver

On you significant others back

Where's the sale on the three-fingered gloves; maybe we can get a group buy?

I think 10 and 2 is the old standard; with airbags, they suggest 9 and 3, so your arms don't end up in your face.

I'm not sure why you feel the hi-lo shifter and a cupholder are mutually exclusive. I've seen members who have cupholders on the back of the console, in the fuzzy hole, in the deadspot by the e-brake, next to the transmission hump, and door mounted. Do our members in Canada remove the AC because it never gets hot? Removing the hi/lo shifter if it cannot be easily reversed is going to kill resale. It will take you longer to sell it for much less money.

You might find that while you don't wheel, you may have a chance to use it anyway. Lets say you are driving on an easy dirt road. Either weather damage to the road, or lets say it just gets steep in one area. Wouldn't it be nice to use the low gear even though you thought you would never use it rather than turning around? Or lets say you swerve to avoid a deer and end up in a ditch. Wouldn't it be nice not to have to call a tow truck?

Do yourself a favor and mount a cupholder. Just don't remove the shifter in order to accommodate it. Do a nice job and post how you did it. Members will be happy, and some may even copy your grand idea. But to replace one of the main functions of your car with a superficial cupholder? Don't expect any "attaboys" here.

It's your car, so you can do what you want, just understand that we all like VX's, and we don't like to see them butchered.
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867

Guys, let this person do what ever he wants. Just because he is on the VX forum asking for an idea that some might not like doesn't call for this kind of shellacking. As long as he is not saying anything actually offensive, let them be.

If anyone wanted to completely redo the dash (bring it up to 2011), maybe even chop an Axiom dash into the car and do it right, they would want to remove the Hi-lo shifter and mount it's function as a button on the dash (like every 4x4 japanese truck has now a-days).

Constructive input people...

And if you told me that I could gain 3-4 MPG just by removing the dead weight of the AC compressor (assuming it doesn't get hot in Minnesota) then I'd be all for some one starting a thread and trying it.