Thread: Do you do online surveys?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Biko - you can be tracked by your IP address. There are tools and technology and people with time that could pull that from you. That right there, tells your address and...so on... I don't need a link as to how you overcame this either, it can't be stopped.

Your fight to inform those of us who don't sweat this ordeal like you do is near meaningless at this point. This is considering the fact that your efforts have yet converted anyone's prior feelings or thoughts. Lost cause. Tell your niece Niki hi for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Biko - you can be tracked by your IP address. There are tools and technology and people with time that could pull that from you.
    It is a trade-off between the effort required and the value received. The problem with your attitude is that you see it as black and white either you have total privacy or you have none. That is absolutely not the case. A modicum of effort yields a large amount of effective privacy.

Hell, in this particular case it doesn't even require any effort whatsoever - filling out surveys and voluntarily handing over your purchase history is where the work is at. You get to keep a fair amount of privacy just by doing nothing.

Your fight to inform those of us who don't sweat this ordeal like you do is near meaningless at this point. This is considering the fact that your efforts have yet converted anyone's prior feelings or thoughts. Lost cause.
    So, your point is that people should just shut up because popular opinion - especially uninformed popular opinion - is against it? Wow. Your world-view is absolutely antithetical to mine.

Tell your niece Niki hi for me.
    Lol you really think she's my niece? Maybe she's just a calabash cousin, maybe I just picked her because I liked that video she was in. Spreading disinformation is as simple as slipping random falsehoods into innocuous discussions.

But more to the point, even if she were my niece that information is not organized in a systemic fashion the way scanning all of your purchases into a database or filling out surveys will produce. There is absolutely nobody out there that can connect whatever dots link Niki and myself without investing a significant amount of effort.

Privacy - and security in general - is just simply not black and white. You evaluate the risks and make your decisions - but as long as you are ignorant of the risks it is impossible for you to make good decisions.