Thread: Do you do online surveys?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    So while I agree with you that in principle the government affords us more protection under the law, in reality I think the risk ends up being about the same.
    Again - its the difference between systemic and one-offs. The law prevents them from designing a system that abuses that information - no way would they be able to implement a program of selling that information to anyone and if an attorney wanted access to the information it would require judicial oversight in the form of a subpoena.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Biko View Post
    Again - its the difference between systemic and one-offs. The law prevents them from designing a system that abuses that information - no way would they be able to implement a program of selling that information to anyone and if an attorney wanted access to the information it would require judicial oversight in the form of a subpoena.
    I think we're talking past each other here. All I'm saying is that the probability and impact of identity theft is not necessarily determined by whether the threat can be classified as "systemic" or "one-off." What's the difference between a guy in China hacking into a military personnel database vs. a VA employee accidentally bringing thousands of SSNs and medical records home with him on his laptop? They can both result in the same level of damage, and we're at risk for both all the time. And the reality is that it's much more likely that you'd lose your privacy via a "one-off" mistake made by an insider with ready access to your data.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I think we're talking past each other here. All I'm saying is that the probability and impact of identity theft is not necessarily determined by whether the threat can be classified as "systemic" or "one-off." What's the difference between a guy in China hacking into a military personnel database vs. a VA employee accidentally bringing thousands of SSNs and medical records home with him on his laptop? They can both result in the same level of damage, and we're at risk for both all the time. And the reality is that it's much more likely that you'd lose your privacy via a "one-off" mistake made by an insider with ready access to your data.
    Seriously? You dont see the differrence? Yes, we're at risk at both, But the risk levels are way different in your exmaple.

Yes, most of the personal info gets out of control on a corporate level, and it's not a consumer's fault, but there are still chances that you may get hit because of your personal negligence to minimize your personal protection level and allowing easy access to your personal info.

Here is an easy example: your cedit card info may get stolen from the corporate database. Thief will copy the card and try to use it at the gas station that requires zip code to activate. If your name isnt John Johnson and you are in White Pages - voila! Here is the zip code! But this scenario could be avoided if you ubsubscribed (or whatever you need to do to be removed from their database).

So, once again, the advice here is to minimize the risk on a user-level.