Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spare tire mod

I think they mean that you wouldn't have to open the rear door all the way if the tire is on passenger side. If you have other stuff in trunk it's easier to remove the spare full size tire if it's on the passenger side as well.

I'm not one for carrying any FS spare unless venturing off-road to the extreme outback wilderness. However; ROWHARD's design of vertically mounting the FS spare in the right-rear corner offers a somewhat balanced weight distribution with the driver, as it is diagonally opposed with the driver across the vehicle's frame. Mounting the FS spare in the left-rear corner would be improper weight distribution in relation to the driver's own personal weight. Afterall; the driver is a constant weight factor in the equation, but a passenger is an optional weight factor.

In regards to a right-rear located vertical FS spare blocking rear blind spot visibility, that's an invalid point IMHO. While driving my VX the other day, I intentionally tried to look over my right shoulder out the right-rear 3rd quarter window to check traffic for a possible lane-change. What an extremely dangerous and wasted effort that was-- the little 3rd quarter window of the VX is absolutely worthless for checking traffic at speed, as the VX travels too far down the road when trying to determine a valid safety zone for a safe lane-change. The $3 convex spot mirror on my passenger-side outside mirror is a far more safer lane-change traffic check device; and requires far less eye-n-head movement, thereby maintaining quick traffic reference back thru front windshield. The inherent cacoon-tunnel design of the VX cargo area makes rear window visibility virtually worthless, and the VX should be treated the exact same as driving a Panel Delivery Truck. Just my 2-cents.