Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fog/driving light replacement

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    Who has the VX with fog lights installed in the open slots to either side of the license plate area? That looks terrific!

I think the previous owner changed to brighter clear bulbs on my VX before I bought it. Were the original bulbs clear or amber?
    RickOKC--- The Grand Master of alternative lighting (namely LEDs) is fellow VX member "KENNY". Go to the member's list and click-on KENNY, and then at his profile click-on all threads "started by" KENNY. There are two(2) of his threads worthy of special mention entitled:

Fun With LEDs! Part II
    Cool! - SpiderliteX2 LED Brake Lights Installed

BTW-- the original OEM bulbs in the VX fog lights came "clear" (standard white) from the factory.

Hey thanks, RR!

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    Yeah, I can get my skinny arms down there with no problem to turn 'em from the inside. The outside grip method has not always worked for me. Ya rarely need to do this and they get stuck after a few years.

The stock bulbs are ~4 watts. Lots of us have been using a 12v, 18 watt wedge base bulb for many years. They're much brighter and look much better. The 18w bulbs are not too hot or draw too much power for the wires.

Malibu outdoor lighting bulbs are the ones ya want from Home Depot-
    http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lighting-fans/outdoor-lighting/malibu/

They last for years. I once made the mistake of getting the same bulbs from Sylvania at Lowes. They suck! They burned out in well under a year. I now carry the extra two Malibu's in my glove box. If I see one has burned out, it can get changed in seconds, no matter where I am. Even without the help of an Isuzu trained mechanic.

Mark

great call on these bulbs
    they look great !

cant beat the $4.95 price for 4

Quote Originally Posted by ibmx2 View Post
    great call on these bulbs
    they look great !

cant beat the $4.95 price for 4
    Another "thumbs up" on this one! 15 minutes, $5.00, and a 450% improvement - that qualifies as a "happy ending" in MY book!

Actually, $2.50, since I've now got a "spare pair" - JUST in time for my more frequent "night driving" back from the gym too!

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post

Malibu outdoor lighting bulbs are the ones ya want from Home Depot-
    http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lighting-fans/outdoor-lighting/malibu/
    A vast improvement!! Thanks for the tip.

Thought I saw someone selling or at least recommending an LED replacement option. Since LEDs draw much less power and produce much less heat, I wonder how they would stack up vs. these wedge bulbs? Anybody got a recommendation on LEDs?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Thought I saw someone selling or at least recommending an LED replacement option. Since LEDs draw much less power and produce much less heat, I wonder how they would stack up vs. these wedge bulbs? Anybody got a recommendation on LEDs?
    VT--- See post #16.

The Malibu bulbs i just installed from Home Despot measure .6in dia, x 1.4in long and fits EASILY in the lamp housings.

That equates to 15.24 millimeters dia x 35.56 millimeters long.

The bulb type is 194 (mainly refers to the type of connector on the base) So I go to an LED automotive light store and search to get:

http://www.autolumination.com/194.htm

Most all of those LED's will fit our standard housing. Its quite a selection, but check the dimensions listed for each bulb to be sure. If its is smaller than 15.4mm x 35.56mm then it should fit beautifully. I have a set on the way that are pushing those dimensions a bit, will report back with results. I know its not a recommendation, but its good info to know and gives you a range of types and styles to look at.

You can check here for the approximate lumens for each bulb style there in order to determine relative brightness. http://autolumination.com/specifications_194.html

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    If you're still talking about the round front marker lights, then see this thread below. I replaced mine with some 25 LED towers, nice and white, match my 6000k HID headlights really well.
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...light=led+ebay
    I can't easily find the exact 25 LED units I got on this ebay sellers ebay store, but you could contact him. Maybe he calls them something else now.
    They've held up well, no problems and only $18.99 for both.
    This may be them:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-W...Q5fAccessories
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    If you're still talking about the round front marker lights, then see this thread below. I replaced mine with some 25 LED towers, nice and white, match my 6000k HID headlights really well.
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...light=led+ebay
    I can't easily find the exact 25 LED units I got on this ebay sellers ebay store, but you could contact him. Maybe he calls them something else now.
    They've held up well, no problems and only $18.99 for both.
    This may be them:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-W...Q5fAccessories
    I have these bulbs too.. Just had one go out on me. The contact on it broke free.. But the bulbs do look wonderful

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    I have these bulbs too.. Just had one go out on me. The contact on it broke free.. But the bulbs do look wonderful
    Good, the ones i ordered were the 25 LED towers as well. Very confident they will fit now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    VT--- See post #16.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    If you're still talking about the round front marker lights, then see this thread below...
    Thanks guys, was reading this thread on my BB at the airport so I didn't have the patience/time to use the search tool or open other threads.

Installed my 25 LED array "towers" last night.... wow... now THATS some lumens!

The LED towers are giving the primary headlights a run for their money for sure.. and tho they dont match up too badly, looks like I'll be doing a HID upgrade to the headlights sooner than i had expected.

Absolutely no fitment issues either. The LED upgrade is a no-brainier.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Installed my 25 LED array "towers" last night.... wow... now THATS some lumens!

The LED towers are giving the primary headlights a run for their money for sure.. and tho they dont match up too badly, looks like I'll be doing a HID upgrade to the headlights sooner than i had expected.

Absolutely no fitment issues either. The LED upgrade is a no-brainier.
    Aren't LEDs fun! So cheap, so cool (literally) and so bright!! Bantam is selling his HID kit, may be a good deal if you're really wanting the HIDs sooner rather than later

So I notice Sue that you bought his HID kit, but you already have them? I'd buy a set off you if you're just keeping a spare, or are they for the hubby's FJ?
    '01 Kaiser SC'ed VX #0867