Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first earthquake... awesome!

My first earthquake... awesome!

Well, it was awesome after finding out it was definitely "just an earthquake." *

It started with a boom, continued with a rumble like thunder and ended with a little sideways lurch. COOL! Everything took place in just a few seconds and it measured 4.5 on the RICK-ter scale.

I know, "lame", but I've always wanted to experience an earthquake so I'm excited. I've been disappointed in the past when I would hear on the news that one had happened nearby but it wasn't big enough to be noticeable.
    ___
    * It upset some people at the office because the overall sound and feel was very reminiscent of the Murrah Building bombing in 1995 (also on a Wednesday, also around 9am.)

must be one of greatest things to feel in a life-being experience. like an imponderability

4.5?

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    Well, it was awesome after finding out it was definitely "just an earthquake." *

It started with a boom, continued with a rumble like thunder and ended with a little sideways lurch. COOL! Everything took place in just a few seconds and it measured 4.5 on the RICK-ter scale.

I know, "lame", but I've always wanted to experience an earthquake so I'm excited. I've been disappointed in the past when I would hear on the news that one had happened nearby but it wasn't big enough to be noticeable.
    ___
    * It upset some people at the office because the overall sound and feel was very reminiscent of the Murrah Building bombing in 1995 (also on a Wednesday, also around 9am.)

thats barely a thunder rumble
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

We had that measly one a couple months ago here in the DC area.

I slept through it.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Just as a point of interest

I have been in a 4.8 quake
    2 Floods
    4 hurricanes
    and
    2 tornadoes.

ROFL... I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

You are lucky you weren't driving. I've been through a bunch of 4+ quakes while in the car and they are no fun at all - you don't even notice them.

x2!!
    Having lived in LA for 15 yrs...been thru quite a few. Was driving on the freeway when the "Whittier Narrows" quake hit in 1987 (I think)...thought my tape deck was skipping a bit and I also recall the car kind of zigging back and forth a bit, I thought it was just the grooves in the cement throwing me....got to work..OH, that's what that was! Then the '94 Northridge "big" quake....431 am...whole house was rocking & rollin'....so what did I do?...I started holding the wall unit so it wouldn't tip over...until first hubby said "Get AWAY from the wall unit"!!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Come to New Zealand we get earthquakes all the time XD As you may have seen on say the International news Our Christchurch has been getting hit hard with them lately!. Ive been in id say over 50 at least. Must admit have woke up to one before realised it was small and feel back asleep while it was just finishing .

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Thumbs up

As a native of Los Angeles and having experienced every earthquake since the Sylmar, a 4.5 would merely stir my martini.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    I have been in a 4.8 quake
    2 Floods
    4 hurricanes
    and
    2 tornadoes.
    YIKES, you're a magnet for natural disasters! Where did you find the tornadoes? I've been in Ok for most of my 40+ years and have only had what I consider to be 1 close call. I've still never actually seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    ROFL... I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.
    Hee heee! I wish I could claim credit for the "disaster photo." That started hitting email the day after and I thought it was hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Biko View Post
    You are lucky you weren't driving. I've been through a bunch of 4+ quakes while in the car and they are no fun at all - you don't even notice them.
    That's what a co-worker said. He was driving at the time and didn't notice either!

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    x2!!
    Having lived in LA for 15 yrs...been thru quite a few. Was driving on the freeway when the "Whittier Narrows" quake hit in 1987 (I think)...thought my tape deck was skipping a bit and I also recall the car kind of zigging back and forth a bit, I thought it was just the grooves in the cement throwing me....got to work..OH, that's what that was! Then the '94 Northridge "big" quake....431 am...whole house was rocking & rollin'....so what did I do?...I started holding the wall unit so it wouldn't tip over...until first hubby said "Get AWAY from the wall unit"!!
    Sounds like what we always do here. "Tornado?!? Let's go outside and look!" (Instead of running for shelter. ) Not like I'm telling you something new since you lived in TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprey View Post
    Come to New Zealand we get earthquakes all the time XD As you may have seen on say the International news Our Christchurch has been getting hit hard with them lately!. Ive been in id say over 50 at least. Must admit have woke up to one before realised it was small and feel back asleep while it was just finishing .
    LOL! That's also what we do here (during tornado warnings.) You get used to it so it's no big deal. I just got to a point where I never thought I'd ever experience an earthquake so I was happy to finally see what it was like. They are SO uncommon here and when they do happen they are so tiny that NOBODY notices.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post
    As a native of Los Angeles and having experienced every earthquake since the Sylmar, a 4.5 would merely stir my martini.
    Ha ha... we use dust devils here - stirred, not shaken.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I got jolted out of bed in the wee hours, back around 1985 on the Big Island.

It was quite an experience, since I was from MN & was only familiar with blizzards, flooding & tornadoes.

IIRC, it was 6+, & I remember thinking that I was going to die at the whims of a rather large 6 x 24" glue lam ceiling beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    I got jolted out of bed in the wee hours, back around 1985 on the Big Island.

It was quite an experience, since I was from MN & was only familiar with blizzards, flooding & tornadoes.

IIRC, it was 6+, & I remember thinking that I was going to die at the whims of a rather large 6 x 24" glue lam ceiling beam.
    Didn't know you were down in Aussie in '85 Dub.

I coulda taken a day off school to meet up with ya.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Didn't know you were down in Aussie in '85 Dub.

I coulda taken a day off school to meet up with ya.

PK
    L0L Mr K...

It was the Big Island of the Hawaiian variety...