Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Transmission housing/console heating up? Kilbys??

'01, 74,000 miles, original radiator & tranny
    All fluids switched to Royal Purple at 65,000 miles, including flushing tranny twice to maximize synthetic.

I know we don't have a tranny dipstick on the 3.5L. Is that detailed procedure for checking the ATF level the only way to get to the fluid? I at least want to try to see if there's any burnt smell.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...29&postcount=6
    Last edited by VX KAT : 10/30/2010 at 10:45 AM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Are we sure it's the transmissions creating all the heat at the transmission tunnel and not the proximity of the catalytic converters?
    This is a big possibility also. The cats get very hot when functioning normally!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    This is a big possibility also. The cats get very hot when functioning normally!
    They actually HAVE to be hot to function normally. If a warm trans tunnel becomes too much of a worry for some, another option would be to wrap the converters with high-temp exhaust wrap. It will lower the temps underneath the trans tunnel, and on the drivers' side, have the added benefit of lowering the operational environment near the trans-selector switch which has proven to be another issue with VX's.

Incidentally, transmissions also require the trans fluid to run at high temps to operate correctly. The main reason trans coolers are suggested is when a particular vehicle is going to be used for towing. In those instances, the trans fluid will be heated too much, and an external/aftermarket trans cooler reduces temps back down to normal. A trans cooler installed and run under normal driving conditions won't necessarily hurt anything, but it will cause the trans fluid to take longer to get up to normal operating temps (especially in colder weather), so trans shifting tendencies will be affected until adequate temps are reached.
    Last edited by Y33TREKker : 10/30/2010 at 11:20 AM

Wow, this is an excellent thread with lots of idea's and possible solution's. Great stuff!!!

One transmission cooling idea I had was maybe running some sort of ram-air/air-duct system underneath the VX that would channel frontal cold-air to blow alongside the transmission housing itself to help dissipate heat. Much like how NASCAR uses a ram-air ducting system to blow cold air on their brake's. I think something simular could be custom rigged to blow cold air alongside the transmission housing and the air ducting could even be routed directly "above" the KILBY's skidplate level.

The ram-air cooling effect would not be as radical as a dedicated in-line transmission cooler; and would only be operational at sustained forward speed, thereby keeping the temperature of the trans fluid within normal operating range. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    The ram-air cooling effect would not be as radical as a dedicated in-line transmission cooler; and would only be operational at sustained forward speed, thereby keeping the temperature of the trans fluid within normal operating range. Just a thought.
    I don't know man, while I still question whether the trans is even the problem in the first place, I'm thinking that installing an external trans-cooler would be a lot less radically challenging as far as installations go than I imagine the entire process of designing, constructing, and installing a ducting mechanism for the undercarriage of a VX would be.

I've installed external trans-coolers before (even have one on my car right now that I installed years ago), so I'm aware of how relatively easy those installations are. What you are proposing is a whole other ball of wax.

I don't recall feeling any excess heat on our trip to Wisconsin this past summer, but then again I had Sonya, Mahalia, Dakota, and a bouncing rear cargo carrier to distract me.

I can tell you that our '04 Axiom is TERRIBLE about heating up on a long drive... but the heat is on the passenger side of the center console, perfectly located to scorch your passenger's feet. It's not heat blowing from the lower vents; it's heat radiating from under the carpet. I'm glad I don't have that level of issue with the VX, but I sure would love to move our Axiom's tranny dipstick to my engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I sure would love to move our Axiom's tranny dipstick to my engine bay.
    I hear ya on that...

I can tell you that our '04 Axiom is TERRIBLE about heating up on a long drive... but the heat is on the passenger side of the center console, perfectly located to scorch your passenger's feet. It's not heat blowing from the lower vents; it's heat radiating from under the carpet..
    Lizardskin makes a ceramic based coating that would help with this heat issue in case you wanted to "fix" it.

Thanks for the tip Billy, but at the rate we're pounding miles onto it (trips to/from Wisconsin at least once a year + almost all other family outings) it won't be a problem for too much longer. Then on to a Mini Beachcomber...

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    The kilbys definitely trap heat from the tranny and send it upward into the cabin. I noticed the seat bolts get really hot during 1 hr+ drives but as long as the trans oil light isn't on, the tranny is within operating temperature and shouldn't be an issue.

I have a new tranny, and it gets just as hot as my old tranny. We do have a tranny cooler already. Not sure what good it would do to add another one?
    I am with LDUB, if the lights not on, I would not worry. My light has been on twice, while trying to plow up a sand ledge. I checked the fluid at Uwharrie, no problems, still looked great. To clear the light, put it in neutral, bring RPMs to 2500 or so and wait a minute, everything cooled down quite nicely.
    I would not worry about the hot tranny, I think its normal.
    Kilbys may not be helping, but I doubt it makes that much difference.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Well this got me thinking

I don't recall feeling any excess heat on our trip to Wisconsin this past summer, but then again I had Sonya, Mahalia, Dakota, and a bouncing rear cargo carrier to distract me.

I can tell you that our '04 Axiom is TERRIBLE about heating up on a long drive... but the heat is on the passenger side of the center console, perfectly located to scorch your passenger's feet. It's not heat blowing from the lower vents; it's heat radiating from under the carpet. I'm glad I don't have that level of issue with the VX, but I sure would love to move our Axiom's tranny dipstick to my engine bay.
    I am not worried about the tranny itself they are going to get hot. I am not worried about my passengers tootsies getting to warm they can take the bus next time. What concerns me is this heat is building up under the computer that is under the passenger seat. A computer does not like heat. I was wondering if this heat build up had caused any of the computer issues we have seen?
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt