Thread: torn cv boot

torn cv boot

hey all.
    i got a torn outboard cv boot.
    are replacement drive axles available?Called all my local parts houses with no luck.I can get the boot,I have read on here about some tool for replacing the boots is that for inner and outer?
    thanx
    ken

I think the tool you are referring to is for putting on the metal clamping bands that hold the boots in place. I would get one since trying it any other way is difficult, especially with the CV still installed in the vehicle. A search will yield a wide variety of them. Just look up cv boot clamp tool or cv boot band tool.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

i have the crimp tool for the bands if that is what you mean.
    i have seen a tool on here that looks like a cone...didnt know if that was needed or if the cv joint can be taken off the shaft and the new boot put on?

Or he may be talking about the “cone“ that comes with the mechatech kit...it is helpfull but not necessary.
    The band tool however I feel is much more important to get them right. I bought my band tool at checkers for around $10.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

If the boot just recently tore then I would say just replacing the boot will be fine, but do it as soon as you can. One of my inner CV boots tore and I kept putting of replacing it and I ended up having to remove the axle to have the outer race refurbished. NOT cheap.

If you really want to get crazy EMPI does make replacement axles for the VX and sometimes you can find them cheaper than the actual boots themselves.

Mecatech does make a CV boot kit that comes with a cone, like Triathlete said, that makes putting the boots on easier, but I think that you still have to remove the short shaft from the rotor. https://www.independent4x.com/mercha...roducts_id=205
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    If the boot just recently tore then I would say just replacing the boot will be fine, but do it as soon as you can. One of my inner CV boots tore and I kept putting of replacing it and I ended up having to remove the axle to have the outer race refurbished. NOT cheap.

If you really want to get crazy EMPI does make replacement axles for the VX and sometimes you can find them cheaper than the actual boots themselves.

Mecatech does make a CV boot kit that comes with a cone, like Triathlete said, that makes putting the boots on easier, but I think that you still have to remove the short shaft from the rotor. https://www.independent4x.com/mercha...roducts_id=205
    In my experience, I would not waste the 125 bucks for a set 4 mecatechs. Mine are trash. 2.5 out of four ripped in only a few months. My OEM set never ripped...cheaper to buy two brand new CVs off of ebay, they come completely assembled with grease and all. Just install em. Unless you do some serious offroading, they should work just fine.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

cv joints or cv boots off ebay?

Marlin is probably talking about the whole "short shaft" axle (from the inner CV out to the wheel).
    Here's one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Empi-Constant-.../dp/B000JZH3HY

The one "issue" with these, from what I hear, is that the balls are a little smaller than our outer race so there is a little slop. Hopefully Triathlete will chime in as he has installed these on his VX. He said that he hasn't had any problems with them so far.

So far no issues...but, they have very few miles on them (only drive 30-40 miles per week and so far 99% has been with my manual hubs unlocked). Right now most of my mileage goes on my biike!

are the other isuzu 4x4 drive axles interchangeable with the vx?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93...ft-/1903271342

The above axle is actually spec'd for a Trooper. But as said the "balls" for the Trooper shafts are slightly smaller but the cage fits snuggly.

No, my joints were a perfect fit. Balls and all...enter comment from Sue or Tom.
    I will find the company I ordered em from later and let you know. I broke two on the trail, (front locker). They sent me two brand new ones for free. They were like 60 bucks each or so with shipping IIRC.

thats a great price,let me know
    thanx

This is the actual company, I got em off of an ebay auction:
    http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...versal:0)&sv=0

Here is the price and item number, you might have to call them:
    AXLE ASSEMBLY isuzu VEHICROSS part auto 2001 2000 99
    Item# 250562225983
    Total $123.14 USD
    Last edited by Marlin : 11/02/2010 at 05:34 AM

Thanx Marlin