Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Uh...hmmm...Thinking t-case but not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Have you checked to make sure that your tires are not hitting/binding on the frame when at full lock?
    If not that then the only thing I can think of that might cause those symthems only at full lock would be the CV's...possibly the retaining ring was left off the joint during a boot replacement or aftermarket shafts that are slightly shorter allowing them to pull out during full lock turns.
    I don't think its the CV's as all 4 tires slip and grip like they are locked in 4-Low. I starting to think its one of two things. T-case has been abused and never maintained or speed sensors are bad and sending false info.

On a secondary note, my "Winter" switch doesn't work. "Power" does. Could it be that the trans is starting in third all the time and because the switch is broken I can't turn it off?

I don't see the winter mode causing your symptoms. That'll just make it a dog coming off the line.

Do check to make sure your tires aren't hitting the fender well or anything else. Mine just touches at full lock (right turn) & sounds similar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

What's wrong with the winter mode switch? The dash light is not coming on when stopped in drive?

The button does not stay down like the power switch. Basically, you have to be stopped in drive and the switch turns the dash light on and then you have to hit it again each time you wanna use it when stopped.

Mark

Got home late today and I have to work in the morning so I'll check when I get home tomorrow as to whether or not the tires rub. As for the winter switch....it doesn't work period. Power does though which is whats so confusing because unless I'm mistaken, they are apart of the same switch.

UPDATE: Whatever is causing my problem is literally killing my gas mileage. I filled up two days ago and put less than 200 miles on my tank. I just put a whole tank in it tonight. We'll see how long this lasts.

Then again it could just be me as my previous vehicle was a diesel dodge ram.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Gas mileage will not be your friend in the VX.

I started out getting between 12 and 13 MPGs when I first got mine...can't imagine why...

After a year of fluid changes, new spark plugs, cleaing the MAF, cleaning the green air filter, using Lucas gas treatment with every tank, inflating my tires to 45 psi (does wonders for our already smooth ride...) and driving more like I'm 70 than 22...I'm up to about 16 MPG on average. I know it's going to go down again as the winter gas begins to hit the stations here in CO, so if you're needing something with great mileage its probably not going to happen.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Thanks Mile high for the info. Duly noted. At this point after working on my vx and starting to take care of the problems someone else neglected I can honestly say that gas mileage has been firmly removed from my list of worries.

UPDATE:I checked to see if the tires rub and they do not rub. Wheels and tires are stock in size.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    red99-
    give me a call this week and one night we'll get together and i can give you an opinion on whether it feels like a regular VX thing or not...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I have just re-read this thread from the beginning to get some ideas.

Could the handbrake be stuck partially on?? The hand brake is much more efficient when rolling backwards, so would stop you then, but only slow you down going forwards.
    Could also explain the poor gas mileage??
    A quick feel around the inside centre of the rear discs after a few miles of driving would pick up any residual heat.
    Be careful - it might be real hot.

Winter switch - IIRC I read somewhere that the winter switch only works if the temperature is under a certain reading. This was to stop people using it when not needed, as starting from a standstill in 3rd gear is never good for the transmission.

Ok - now I will duck down and let the real experts tell me how wrong I am.
    It's always fun.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    pk has some VERY valid points...
    one of your brakes could be 'sticky' and causing a lot of your problems... could be any of the 4 individual calipers, or even the emergency brake cable...

but, unfortunately, i dont think PK's information is correct regarding the winter switch, because im pretty sure i've used it in 100+ heat just to see what it would do when offroading not very impressive results haha.

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    I have just re-read this thread from the beginning to get some ideas.

Could the handbrake be stuck partially on?? The hand brake is much more efficient when rolling backwards, so would stop you then, but only slow you down going forwards.
    Could also explain the poor gas mileage??
    A quick feel around the inside centre of the rear discs after a few miles of driving would pick up any residual heat.
    Be careful - it might be real hot.

Winter switch - IIRC I read somewhere that the winter switch only works if the temperature is under a certain reading. This was to stop people using it when not needed, as starting from a standstill in 3rd gear is never good for the transmission.

Ok - now I will duck down and let the real experts tell me how wrong I am.
    It's always fun.

PK

I would have never of thought that the brakes could be part of the problem. It does make a little bit of sense though. Sorry that I haven't been around I've been kinda busy.
    Last edited by xXxRed_Ninty_9xXx : 11/17/2010 at 09:46 PM