Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Uh...hmmm...Thinking t-case but not sure

Wrench Uh...hmmm...Thinking t-case but not sure

Ok, so I just got my 01 Proton today. Drives great and feels awesome. But I went to go get some stuff from the grocery store and as I was backing out of my driveway and turning the vx stopped dead in its tracks. So, I pulled forward and backed out straight. Now, there is a whirling noise. Its not too loud but loud enough to notice (I'm anal so yes I will notice). Other than that the VX runs and drives great. Was thinking something to do with the t-case and/or diffs. In any case, I'm gonna change the fluids on all three and if you guys could point me in the right direction as to fluids that would be awesome (was thinking Royal Purple, as I have had several great experiences in the past). Thanks for the help and time.

Fluids should be in the vx service manual found in the downloads section of this site. Sounds like your t-case was partially engaged. Did you make sure the lever was fully seated in place?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Lever is seated in the "HIGH" position or all the way back. I can feel that the linkage is moving in and out so I don't think its that. After reading several posts I went and checked my tires and the front tires are worn a little more than the rears. I'm also thinking that my fluids are starting to be a major player in the problem. I picked the VX from a dealership and my guess is the performed some kind of service to the rig and forgot to put the LSD additive to the diffs.

UPDATE: The ABS light is on and my "Winter" driving switch does not work. "Power" switch does work.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    **this is OT**
    hey 'red ninty 9', im pretty sure i saw you near walmart headed towards LPHS like maybe 2 days ago? was that you?
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

No but I do live in that area. I just picked up my proton today.

congrats on your new vx

Quote Originally Posted by ibmx2 View Post
    congrats on your new vx

Thanks, it'll be better with some TLC.

UPDATE: I just flushed t-case with no positive results. I will be flushing the diffs tomorrow after work.
    Last edited by xXxRed_Ninty_9xXx : 11/04/2010 at 06:28 AM

So before I go off and get the diff fluids, I just wanted to know what the capacities of the diffs are? I know of the capacity page on this site but I'm just double checking.

If I remember correctly (totally guessing) it was 1.25 in the front and 1.75 in back? I think I only needed 3 bottles total... And DAMN is that stuff spendy these days Royal Purple was like $25 a a bottle
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

not to question you

Quote Originally Posted by xXxRed_Ninty_9xXx View Post
    Thanks, it'll be better with some TLC.

UPDATE: I just flushed t-case with no positive results. I will be flushing the diffs tomorrow after work.

But did you follow the tranny fluid directions ie run time shifting etc? Failure to do so will leave your tranny woefully short of fluid and therefore not correct the issue.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    But did you follow the tranny fluid directions ie run time shifting etc? Failure to do so will leave your tranny woefully short of fluid and therefore not correct the issue.
    circ- he said t-case... thats transfer case....not transmission....

red99-
    buy some extra... you'll use it, plus you wont run outta fluid then and have to walk to wally world
    just fill it till it overflows....

if you need any help on weekends, i work on my car all the time and i'll be happy to help you.

Well i changed the diff and t-case fluids. Now at a crawling speed (2-3 mph) it has a buckle when i turn all the way to the locks and in reverse it stops while turning lock to lock. Now this car is pretty new to me and I don't know if that's how its supposed to be. If anyone can provide some input that would be great. Mainly on drive-ability.

What to do you mean exactly by a buckle? I know my VX was one of the smoothest feeling vehicles I've owned when turning. It's agility was one of the selling points for me. If it's binding or stopping, then something is way wrong.

It feels like the kind of hop/buckle you get when you turn on pavement while in 4-Low. The problem is I'm not in 4-Low and it only does it while moving really really slow. The second I hit the gas it moves of course. And if its moving at like 10 mph, it of course drives like it should.

Have you checked to make sure that your tires are not hitting/binding on the frame when at full lock?
    If not that then the only thing I can think of that might cause those symthems only at full lock would be the CV's...possibly the retaining ring was left off the joint during a boot replacement or aftermarket shafts that are slightly shorter allowing them to pull out during full lock turns.

TCase and tranny shouldn't be affected by turning...if it were one of those it seems your symthems would accur at other times also.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)