Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How does Ebay work???

So an Iranian computer programmer living in San Jose, CA creates an auction website that only allows buyers and sellers from Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky?

Hmm... that is weird...

but even weirder is now I've been outbid by some jerk-o!

The way I understand it is that I wait until 10 seconds left and then set the max bid amount for myself to something like $120 right? And then hope for the best?

Yep, you got the plan down.

Couple other tips for the last 10 second tactic....

~open a 2nd window with the auction, so you can SEE the countdown timer AND your active screen.
    Someone else could bid in that last few seconds and you NEED to see that action so you know how high you want/need to bid.

~Pre enter your bid amount and then stop at the screen with "Confirm bid"...that way all you have to do is hit "confirm bid" button.

~since this is the 1st time you're doing this, I'd suggest hitting the "Confirm" button at around 15 seconds.....in case your internet is a bit slow or something.
    (But do take note of your internet connection function in the preceeding minutes...if it's slower than usual, hit "Confirm" earlier)

****IT's up to $101 right now....
    Looking at the bidder list, I see it's somebody with (3) feedback that seems to be after it....Since often, the newer ebayers don't understand this system...you can see that (3) has entered numerous stairstep bids...Probably doesn't understand the proxy system...

I think you should go a tad higher than $120....if you can afford it.....
    Based on his pattern, I think (3) doesn't have a very high max bid entered...so I'm optimistic for you.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Lol... gotta love the strategery.

Well I screwed the pooch on this item... last minute I entered $150 (max I was willing to pay with shipping) and there was like 15 seconds left and I thought just putting the bid in would work and forgot to his confirm until it was too late... Someone beat me out of a nice turbo for $117.50!!! I'm so aggrivated right now I think I'll give up on Ebay forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    Well I screwed the pooch on this item... last minute I entered $150 (max I was willing to pay with shipping) and there was like 15 seconds left and I thought just putting the bid in would work and forgot to his confirm until it was too late... Someone beat me out of a nice turbo for $117.50!!! I'm so aggrivated right now I think I'll give up on Ebay forever!
    NO, don't give up, you've just learned some great tips to win....
    and yes, I understand how aggravated you must be...I once MISSED the Confirm button with my mouse click !!!!! "Hand malfunction!"

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    So an Iranian computer programmer living in San Jose, CA creates an auction website that only allows buyers and sellers from Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky?
    No, I am wondering one of two things, either he appropriated the existing site from someone else, or it was a regional site to start with, similar to how craigslist works. Those in SC would post in GA, NC,FL.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm so aggrivated right now I think I'll give up on Ebay forever!
    The really sick thing is that your status of a VX owner is going to make it increasingly difficult for you to ever walk away from eBay. Sorry to hear that dude, I think we've all been there at one point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    No, I am wondering one of two things, either he appropriated the existing site from someone else, or it was a regional site to start with, similar to how craigslist works. Those in SC would post in GA, NC,FL.
    Could be, makes you wonder how long Craig will wait before trying to cash in on his invention.

Been there...done that. After staring at the screen for the final 15 minutes of one late night auction I got hypnotized and actually dozed off at the last minute. Lucky for me the highest bidder exceeded my pending bid by a large amount. Nakamichi tape decks are EXPENSIVE!!
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

http://www.snip.pl

Greatest site ever. Been using it for years, very nice tool.

Bart

I forgot to mention - one of the best things about using a sniping service is that you won't get sucked into upping your bid past your "maximum." When you sit there watching it until the last minute its possible for someone to come along and bid it up past what you had thought would be your max bid. But because there is still time left and everyone has at least a little bit of a competitive spirit its easy to convince yourself into bidding even higher than you had ever planned on.

When you set up a snipe, you usually ignore the auction until its over. So there is much less opportunity to get caught up and make a rash over-priced bid.

1999, Empire Blue Mica (Blue Streak), Ltd. 87/175 #1787
    Sniping rules... as you say..... set it up down to the wire.... walk away... come back after a night out on the lash and its either red or green.... usually green if you know what stuff is worth... I once got a factory race bike with 3 seconds to go... I then went on the bike forum and there was a mukka complaining that he had bid with 7 seconds to go and had been beat... once I reminded him that he was sniping too he saw the funny side....