Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finally Weapon-R Secret Weapon intake installed.

Finally Weapon-R Secret Weapon intake installed.

After some frustration, finally got it installed.

Just FYI, if DrAutomotive on ebay says they have a said model that fits the VX, they dont. And they are not too willing to make it work either. They wanted pics and measurements and measurements with pics ect... all to get me an RMA for the intake setup which would not fit because EVERYTHING was too small.

I eventually called Weapon-R directly and spoke with thier lead tech Chris W. who was very, very helpful. He took a look at my pics and I told him my measurements and he said "Stop the RMA, we are going to make this work." So he express mailed me parts he felt would fit better, and gave me some install tips. He sent them at their cost, and a return postage paid box for parts that wont fit, told me to install it, let him know of any probs, and ship back what didnt work, all at their expense.

He was incredibly helpful, had no attitude at all and seemed legitimately curious why the intake that is in thier catalog does not in fact fit.

I installed it today with a bit of force and elbow grease and the tips from Chris really helped.

Worst part was trying to remove the damn Air Intake Temp sensor, (is that SUPPOSED to come out?) So I broke the damn thing in half.. hehe.

On startup, the CEL light came on, so I pulled the code with my droid and sure enuff, P0113 intake temp sensor. Went to Autozone, found a sensor that fit ($12), installed it right there in the parking lot, cleared the codes with the droid and its been happy ever since.

I love the sound of the intake, the Kaiser really likes to breathe like that and the butt dyno is pleased as well. It looks pretty mean too! Pics when I clean off my engine... lol its a mess in there.

Lessons learned:
    1)ebay parts dealers who drop ship, really dont give a crap, at least "drautomotive" doesn't.

2) Always talk to the manufacturer. Sure they didnt know the product they were selling wasn't really compatible but they bent over backward to find out why and get me a product that does at no further expense to me.

3) Don't let forum posts discourage you from making things work. Before this, the Morgan-tec intake was the only intake I KNEW worked, and when I posted that I had bought the Weapon-R I caught flak about it.

An argument could be made that WR used me as remote R&D, but in the end, we all won. If you are interested in a Weapon-R "Secret Weapon" intake, I would avoid ebay and call Chris W. at W-R and have him ship you what we now know really works.

I love happy endings.

Any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Hide View Post
    Any pics?
    Like I said in the OP, when I clean out my engine bay, pics will be posted.

Question

How do you pull codes with your Droid? (Droid X, Droid Incredible??)
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

Quote Originally Posted by lasturbo View Post
    How do you pull codes with your Droid? (Droid X, Droid Incredible??)
    I have a Droid Incredible and interface with a OBDII reader via Bluetooth using a droid app called "Torque". It really works great. No probs at all.

So its http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/d...edible-review/ plus this http://uniquefindz.myshopify.com/pro...product-search plus this http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a...rque_flre.html

Does real-time readings and even can upload all data to a webserver for graphical display via any web browser. Amazing, I know. Its inexpensive too, as long as you have a droid. Its a poor mans (or smart mans?) scangaugeII, but with better interface and more features.
    Last edited by Grif : 11/20/2010 at 06:14 PM

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    That is awesome and you can get the USB tool for $50!
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    That is awesome and you can get the USB tool for $50!
    I paid $35 for the Bluetooth OBDII reader. Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I paid $35 for the Bluetooth OBDII reader. Ebay.
    That's a great deal, but I don't have a phone that will work but I have several laptops that will...

Yarp!! There ya go!

But srsly, its the cost of the software that makes it all economical. The Bluetooth OBDII reader shipped with demo software for laptops that run from 40-100 bux plus for the full versions. With a droid phone (which you should really have already for a myriad of reasons) the Torque software is a mere pittance ($5) to bring it all together.
    Last edited by Grif : 11/20/2010 at 06:29 PM

Injen also made a perfect fit intake...zero problems. I do not recall having any problems getting the intake sensor out though...glad it all worked out for you.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Injen also made a perfect fit intake...zero problems. I do not recall having any problems getting the intake sensor out though...glad it all worked out for you.
    Yes I do recall that Injen setup from your pics. Very nice! I stand corrected. Are they still in production?

Is buyin an expensive intake rerally worth it how much would you gain over say a moderate non name brand one? Just a aftermarker ttube and cone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardmen3477 View Post
    Is buyin an expensive intake rerally worth it how much would you gain over say a moderate non name brand one? Just a aftermarker ttube and cone?
    I would say your gains are zero either way. The only thing it does it make your engine louder If you look at our factory intake, its suction is inside the driver's wheel well, already pulling in cold air. As a matter of fact, the after market ones may reduce your performance since they take suction inside the engine bay!! If you were to drop a K&N factory replacement filter into the factory airbox, you would probably get the same effects, just not as loud. Only reason I got the Injen, it was on Ebay, no one else really had one...and it adds some bling under the hood. I already had a factory K&N drop in, so if it made a performance difference, other than sounding cool, I haven't noticed.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I have a Droid Incredible and interface with a OBDII reader via Bluetooth using a droid app called "Torque". It really works great. No probs at all.
    thats f*#cking cool grif! im getting me one for x-mas for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    If you look at our factory intake, its suction is inside the driver's wheel well, already pulling in cold air. As a matter of fact, the after market ones may reduce your performance since they take suction inside the engine bay!!
    unless you get creative like mr. dubski (ldub) and make your own 'cold air' system
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

It will be interesting to see what happens to you gas mileage...after you get over the need to hear that sweet new sound...

I lost about 4 mpg in my V6 Accord when I put a K&N kit on it. I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and touching the positive and negative CABLES to remove any residual charge. I reconnected everything and started it...making sure not to touch the gas pedal...and letting it run on it's own for 15 minutes.

It helped some but still not getting the 28 mpg's that I did before the install.