Hey gang,

Just wondering, who out there is using a Red Top? I bought one just over a year ago for my VX and it is DEAD after I let my VX sit for about 2.5 months while I worked on the tranny.

Now, part of me thinks it is my fault, but last weekend I buttoned up the VX and tried to start her up, and she had NO CRANK at all. The battery was toast. So I jumped the VX, and then took her for a 30 mile ride on the hwy. Got back in the garage, parked, shut off, and immediately tried to start again. NADA. Totally dead. My previous Red Top lasted for like 5-6 years, so I am puzzled. I have heard that the quality of the Optima batteries went downhill, but...

If any of you are using a Red Top, can you tell me the part number on top and what your CC, CCA, and RC numbers are? I just want to compare the type I am using versus what you all have.

Optima's site lists this one for the VX:
Part Number: 25 (9025-160)
RedTop®; Battery; BOXED; Group 25; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Ampere Hour 44; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 3/4 in.; H-7 5/8 in.

But I am using this one because I use the side posts for my lights:
Part Number: 34/78 (9004-003)
RedTop®; Battery; BOXED; Group 34/78; Cold Crank Amps 800; Crank Amps 1000; Reserve Capacity 100; Ampere Hour 50; Dual Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in

The specs are close. The one I am using is only a little stronger. That shouldn't matter, right?

Thanks!!
Bart