Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Optima Red Top Batteries, who's got em?

Optima Red Top Batteries, who's got em?

Hey gang,

Just wondering, who out there is using a Red Top? I bought one just over a year ago for my VX and it is DEAD after I let my VX sit for about 2.5 months while I worked on the tranny.

Now, part of me thinks it is my fault, but last weekend I buttoned up the VX and tried to start her up, and she had NO CRANK at all. The battery was toast. So I jumped the VX, and then took her for a 30 mile ride on the hwy. Got back in the garage, parked, shut off, and immediately tried to start again. NADA. Totally dead. My previous Red Top lasted for like 5-6 years, so I am puzzled. I have heard that the quality of the Optima batteries went downhill, but...

If any of you are using a Red Top, can you tell me the part number on top and what your CC, CCA, and RC numbers are? I just want to compare the type I am using versus what you all have.

Optima's site lists this one for the VX:
    Part Number: 25 (9025-160)
    RedTop®; Battery; BOXED; Group 25; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Ampere Hour 44; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 3/4 in.; H-7 5/8 in.

But I am using this one because I use the side posts for my lights:
    Part Number: 34/78 (9004-003)
    RedTop®; Battery; BOXED; Group 34/78; Cold Crank Amps 800; Crank Amps 1000; Reserve Capacity 100; Ampere Hour 50; Dual Terminal; L-10 in.; W-6 7/8 in.; H-7 13/16 in

The specs are close. The one I am using is only a little stronger. That shouldn't matter, right?

Thanks!!
    Bart

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Part 34/78-OR
    CA - 980
    CCA - 800
    RC - 104

Top post

If I don't run the VX every few weeks it will also be dead.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Should be replaceable under warranty...

Or at least pro rated.

My first one lasted until about a month after the warranty expired...

My current one is still all good.
    Last edited by Ldub : 11/24/2010 at 03:13 PM

FWIW, I've had no such problems with my Diehard Platinum. I park the VX for a few weeks each Christmas while we take the wife's Axiom to Wisconsin, and it's always fired right up. A few days ago I left the interior lights on all day with no slow start or dead battery either. I bought it in April 2008, so it's a little over 2 1/2 years old.

My Redtop is the 34/78 too.
    23 months old.
    Never gone dead.
    Sat for over 2 weeks, no problem.

CA - 1000
    CCA - 800
    aH - 50
    RC - 100

Would a BlueTop be better for you since it's deep cycle and can handle being completely depleted over and over?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Red Tops don't recover like conventional batteries when completey discharged, hopefully this info from the optima website will work for ya.
    Good luck

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php

If an OPTIMA is deeply discharged (below 10.5 volts) most basic chargers will not supply a charge. Also keep in mind an OPTIMA will not recharge properly if treated as a regular flooded or gel battery. To charge the battery, you can wire a second fully charged automotive battery (12+V) to the discharged AGM in parallel (+ to + and – to –). Then hook up the charger to either battery, setting the charger at 10 amps. Leave for two hours, monitoring frequently. During this process if the discharged battery gets very hot or if it is venting (hissing sound from vents) then stop this process immediately. When the discharged battery reaches 10.5 volts or more, remove the standard battery and continue charging the AGM until fully charged.

For normal charging a relatively low current, such as one or two amps can work well, but when the battery has been deeply discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. If you charge at 10 amps, the higher current will help to break up this sulfation.

If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manual charger, you can get a rough estimate of the charging time in hours of a completely discharged battery (11.2V) by multiplying the capacity (amp hours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2. If your battery is not completely discharged the time would be less.

In most cases these steps will recover the AGM battery. It’s okay for the AGM battery to get slightly warm during the charging process. If it’s hot to the touch it means there’s a short and the process should be discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Red Tops don't recover like conventional batteries when completey discharged, hopefully this info from the optima website will work for ya.
    Good luck

http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php

If an OPTIMA is deeply discharged (below 10.5 volts) most basic chargers will not supply a charge. Also keep in mind an OPTIMA will not recharge properly if treated as a regular flooded or gel battery. To charge the battery, you can wire a second fully charged automotive battery (12+V) to the discharged AGM in parallel (+ to + and – to –). Then hook up the charger to either battery, setting the charger at 10 amps. Leave for two hours, monitoring frequently. During this process if the discharged battery gets very hot or if it is venting (hissing sound from vents) then stop this process immediately. When the discharged battery reaches 10.5 volts or more, remove the standard battery and continue charging the AGM until fully charged.

For normal charging a relatively low current, such as one or two amps can work well, but when the battery has been deeply discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. If you charge at 10 amps, the higher current will help to break up this sulfation.

If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manual charger, you can get a rough estimate of the charging time in hours of a completely discharged battery (11.2V) by multiplying the capacity (amp hours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2. If your battery is not completely discharged the time would be less.

In most cases these steps will recover the AGM battery. It’s okay for the AGM battery to get slightly warm during the charging process. If it’s hot to the touch it means there’s a short and the process should be discontinued.
    x2, when the alternator died on the wife's RS, I ran the trooper back until the gage on the dash was somewhere less than 10 volts. I had to use an old charger, no problems. I have a red top in both Zus, and a yellow top in the previous F150/expedition/explorer for about 5 years. I had killed that battery several times with no problems.
    I would guess you need to do the parallel charge trick, or just exchange it. My VX sat for almost 6 weeks for the tranny swap, and it started right up with no problems. Take it to autozone and they can tell you if the battery is bad...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Got it swapped under warranty today, thanks folks. I'm gonna invest in a trickle charger going forward. I don't drive my VX every day any more so I need to keep the battery good. Any suggestions on trickle chargers?

Thanks for the input.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Got it swapped under warranty today, thanks folks. I'm gonna invest in a trickle charger going forward. I don't drive my VX every day any more so I need to keep the battery good. Any suggestions on trickle chargers?

Thanks for the input.

Bart
    CTEK- Optima recommends them, have settings specifically for AGMs.
    Don't be cheap.....get the good one.
    We have the 7002, keeps our two BlueTops in tip top shape for our RV.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...#ht_1849wt_969

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    CTEK- Optima recommends them, have settings specifically for AGMs.
    Don't be cheap.....get the good one.
    We have the 7002, keeps our two BlueTops in tip top shape for our RV.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...#ht_1849wt_969
    I just use a solar tender.. 30 bucks at Northern Tool, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I just use a solar tender.. 30 bucks at Northern Tool, no problems.
    As long as you park outside.

I got my charger from sears.. Model 71222 for 45 on sale. Its fully automatic so don't have to check on it ever. Its got a 2 amp trickle charge, a 10 charge and a 50 amp jump start. Also has a setting specifically for agm batteries

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I have experienced this with my red top too. That's when I found out that most Optimas that people think are dead can be revived. Search the Interweb and you'll see some methods...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    I have experienced this with my red top too. That's when I found out that most Optimas that people think are dead can be revived. Search the Interweb and you'll see some methods...
    Crap, that means that I trashed a yellow top last year that prolly could've been revived.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I'm gonna invest in a trickle charger going forward
    Any suggestions on trickle chargers?
    I am assuming you are thinking the same thing, but be sure to get a "FLOAT" charger, not a "TRICKLE" charger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickle_charging

oh....and I just bought a redtop about 2 weeks ago... Part Number: 25

I think YELLOW tops are supposed to be able to be deep discharged without affecting the battery....could be wrong though.

I use the Battery Tender Junior 12V @ 0.75A for both my Mitsubishi Spyder and my Yamaha R6. Both are winterized every year