Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I'm getting raped on milage. any suggestions that might get me a better MPG?

hey, at least be thankfull that you can run "regular" unleaded and don't have to put premium in her to be happy...

shoot, I leave the "power" button on at all times... 'tis more fun that way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post

There's been a couple around here that have tried, but for some odd reason, positive results were never posted. (use search for moron that)
    That, my friend, is hilarious...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Since I live close to work, I'll probably give the VX a basic tune up (new air filter, check/replace all fluids, clean/replace the spark plugs, etc...) and get myself a Motorized bicycle for $500. 49cc doesn't need any special endorsement and rocks close to 180mpg. At least we have lots of nice weather in CO during the summer months. That will be a nice balance to the absolutely hideous MPG I'm getting so far (50 miles and I'm sitting on 3/4 tank) But hey, I didn't buy the VX for its never-ending fuel supply to begin with!

With all my crazy add ons and mods, I get 12-14ish around town, 17ish on the highway. I would guess OEM tires, lose the roof rack (that costs me a solid mpg), neutral when at lights (thanks Rif for that one, think how much you have to hold the brake when sitting, all that energy is gone while in neutral) windows down at low speeds, ac at higher speeds, etc...I got 21 mpg on my trip with her when I drove from Columbus, Oh to Charleston, SC. That was bone stock with bad wheel bearings, bad ac compressor bearings, no exhaust.
    That is why we have a brand new ford fusion for running around town, my wife's trooper RS does much better on mpg around town, but about the same on the highway.
    Good luck with the mpg, those motorized bikes are nice, my parents have some for their RV.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Anybody worry that this wears out the shifter/tranny faster due to all the extra shifting? I do this to kill the vibration I get when sitting still in drive, but it worries me that I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    Don't worry about it. The PRNDL was made for shifting...out.

Also, think about replacing your oxygen sensors. Probably the most mileage sensitive component on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Also, think about replacing your oxygen sensors. Probably the most mileage sensitive component on the car.
    Will do, hadn't thought of that, thanks!

The gas guages aren't linear. You probably showed full until about 40 miles were driven. Then, BOOB, drops to 1/4 tank. Just because it shows 50 at 1/4 tank, you'll still probably get somewhat more than 200m tank.

One thing I want to try this summer is increase the (adj) FPR. If I read the service manual correctly, mine (and many others) aren't as high as designed.

Sometimes people think less pressure gets better mpg. I think more pressure MIGHT atomize fuel better. It's worth a try...especially since a select few have reported better results...making me thing 16 city 20hwy isn't impossible.

(I'm at 14.5/17 now)
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

My first trip with my NTM (new to me) VX was from Tampa to West Palm. Got about 12 to 13 mpg. First thing I did when I got home was change the Air filter. Still didn't change the mileage much. Getting 12 to 14 in town. Took a trip to Ft. Meyers after getting the A/C repaired and being real easy on all the pedals and got 16. On the trip to Orlando for the "Florida Meet" I got 17. Again easy on the pedals and using the cruise. Still getting 15 on a in town tank. Haven't had any more road trips.

Rod

I've notest the the cruse is very active and just hits hard (hi revs) and breaks hard. I have stedy foot so I never use cruse.