Thread: What I learned today...bushings!

What I learned today...bushings!

So, I have had a problem with my VX for a bit of time now. When accelerating the front passenger wheel would shutter like something was binding. Only happened between 35 and 45 mph. Doesn't do it if you accelerate hard, if you let off gas and slowly accelerate it doesn't happen...only during normal acceleration...
    Now this all started up shortly after Moab. My first thought was that my CV was binding since it had started clicking a bit while wheeling in Moab. Changed CV's...quieter but still shuttering. Next up I ordered new ball joints. Today I tore down the front end starting with the pass. side since thats the side it was coming from. Disconnected the top ball joint and discovered that my upper control arm (A arm) could be moved from side to side about 1 inch...not good...but now I know my problem. The bushings are shot. The drivers side is still tight! Tomorrow I will be giving Merlin a call to order a new set for the pass. side. Knowone here carries them. That should fix my problem!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    That should fix my problem!
    No...that'll only fix the problem with your truck...

Ask Merlin if he can give you the exact measurements of the new bushings, (I'm guessing not likely) then see if you can find prothane or energy suspension equivalents...

If that doesn't work, PLEASE take measurements of the new bushing(s), & I'll do the legwork to see if there is a poly substitute out there somewhere.

Now I'm getting worried:

The first two posts in this thread are from someone with a shuttering front end ... & someone with a waggly rear end.

Is there a theme going on here?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    If that doesn't work, PLEASE take measurements of the new bushing(s), & I'll do the legwork to see if there is a poly substitute out there somewhere.
    I would take advantage of that legwork. No issues yet, but anywhere I can replace rubber with poly, the better.

hmmm....poly tires?

Just an FYI...
    Bushings through Merlin were $22.28 each (there are 2 per side). I had Merlin cross reference them and they are the same as any 95+ Trooper (might help you search Dub). Merlin could not get measurements since he does not have the parts in hand...they get drop shipped from the Zu warehouse. Local stealership wanted $38 each drop shipped from the same warehouse