Thread: Super Flexy IFS (SFIFS) rocks!

Super Flexy IFS (SFIFS) rocks!

I had way too much work to do this weekend, so I couldn't make it to Billy's AZ meet where I was hoping to demo the SFIFS. I took it out on the patio today though and got a few pictures of it in action.

I drove it up on this rock that I had tried to climb before. Without the SFIFS, the VX got way too tippy so I never made it up. The rock measured exactly 25" tall.

You can definitely see the front passenger-side tire extending down to keep in contact with the ground.

My rear passenger-side tire just barely came up off the ground. Without the SFIFS, it was coming up a lot higher, and I never even got to the top of the rock!

Here's a picture of the cross bar shifted as a result of the flex. It shifted about 1.5 inches to the driver's side.

Last edited by phines : 05/25/2011 at 07:12 PM

Pretty awesome!

I'd like to get one, but a few weeks before Christmas isn't the right time to buy myself something like that!

Damn, you beat me to it!!! I will have some video next weekend from uwharrie.
    I am thinking my exhaust does not look like that. As far as I know, only the muffler has been changed, I am gonna take it to a mom and pop and see how much to do some minor replumbing back there.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    This mod is on my list, looks like a must do for any of us who offroad frequently. Crazy how the IFS pushes down on the driver's side in your first pic.

Pretty sweet! What's your lift and tire size again?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Pretty sweet! What's your lift and tire size again?
    Lift is just under 3" and tires are 255/80R17 (narrow 33's).
    Last edited by phines : 05/25/2011 at 07:12 PM

Can you post the same pics with the pin in? That way we get a better idea of the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Can you post the same pics with the pin in? That way we get a better idea of the difference.
    Yeah, I actually tried that, but with the pin in, I can't get up on that same rock with confidence. The whole body of the VX starts tipping to the driver's side, the rear passenger-side tire kicks way up and I'm afraid of punching that big rock on the right through the door (see image below).

I'll try another location and get some Pin vs. No Pin pictures though. Probably won't be until Friday though since there's never any daylight left by the time I get home.
    Last edited by phines : 05/25/2011 at 07:13 PM

LOL, I like the illustration.

Here is my input on the kit. You can definitely tell the difference with the pin out. It feels, sloshy. On steep off camber obstacles, the vehicle definitely feels more stable.

I did 90% of wheeling this weekend in 2low, which for the record is the funnnest thing ever. The truck is so much more spry in 2low.
    With the front of the VX low, it also rides a lot better, feels like a baja truck on the trail

My pics are very similar to yours, Here are some pics with the pin out, no problems, truck stays fairly level, and as you can see, I am on the stops on both sides. I climbed the same rock with the pin in, drivers front tire was a little off the ground, then the rock outcropping broke, so no pics, sorry The Carolina trailblazers jeep club was there, so the place was packed. They were having a good time with my truck, until I ate their lines without a spotter, they were nice enough to let me play through. I think they have a bit more respect for the Zu group now...lol.

On a negative note, that pin is a mother bitch to get back in. I had the truck dead level, rocking it around, no go. Had to experiment by stacking rocks and climbing them to get it close, then used a 3lb sledge to 'tap' it in. It could be because my setup is not symmetrical. My torsion bars have different spring rates as compared to each other. I need to rekey the passenger side and then see if that helps with the alignment.

I also have some rubbing on my drive shaft from the kit. I will provide feedback and get some pics so he can bevel the correct spot of future kits. Its not bad, but definitely a shiny stripe where it is rubbing. I would guess its on full flex, definitely not from street driving. Not a problem for me seeming that it is a prototype design still, and I can just grind the offending part myself.

I need to get some static shots here at the house so I can show the pin in and pin out photos.

Looks like a blast!