I actually like a bit "darker" shade of silver (not charcoal...still silver)
I think the color you are describing is often called "gunmetal" or even "Kaiser" in vxinfo speak. But names are names and colors are colors.

The gator would save some time, as it's a one-time application and especially if it could be spot treated later as well. I don't think that the color of your cladding is objectionable, just different. If you could get a sample of the GB, that would be great. It's more important to get the cladding right, as that's more work and money than to recoat the skids if you have to.

I wonder if your PO used a diluted bleach wash at some point. It may explain why the sandblasted front from travelling through CO is darker (as the darker OEM color is showing through), as well as why the sills and front mounting points on your cladding is darker (probably didn't bother to do them). I feel like nancy drew.

While paint colors are opaque, that's easy, as you know the color will be the paint color. The short term products seem more like stains where it's semi-transparant, but still mostly opaque. Whereas the GB is more transparant and less opaque. I would guess your end color, may just be a hair lighter than others using the same product.