Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Timing Belt Failure

1999, Empire Blue Mica (Blue Streak), Ltd. 87/175 #1787

Timing Belt Failure

Only had the beast a few weeks and something gave up while on the M27 this afternoon... Nice RAC man tells me its the timing belt... When I bough it the P.O. told me it was just replaced...!!!!

RAC Recovered me to local ISUZU garage (Botley) to be told ... If it is the timing belt I will need a NEW ENGINE.... $£!7....... Anyone know the score???... Merry Christmas as they say..

There has been a good bit of debate on this, but from the last thing I remember we have a non-interference engine, at least the 3.5L is, not sure about the 3.2L, but don't see why it would be different. With that said, hopefully everything is OK in the engine and you'll just need to replace the timing belt, and get the timing back in sync.

I'm sure someone with much more knowledge than me will chime in soon.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    we have a non-interference engine.
    x2 That's what I always thought
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

If the timing belt went that soon after replacement then it's likely that the shop did not replace the tensioner. I've reused tensioners in the past but against my better judgement (but lucked out anyway).

I'd contact the previous owner & find out the whole story behind the timing belt replacement.

Also find out if the water pump was replaced when the timing belt was. You should always replace the water pump at the same time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Cheers boyz.... He says it was defo replaced... I will ask about the other bits

thanks again

fingers crossed..

will get back with any news as and when

**** mate, sorry!! Dont forget the engine from the Isuzu Trooper and the Vauxhal Frontera B are the same and available everywhere.
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Cheers CR...

The local Isuzu garage 3 miles from where it broke was worse than useless so I left it on the transporter and asked them to take me home with it... (the very nice man didnt even try to charge me as he was heading that way).....

Will try looking for Frontera bitz... The belt is available for £15 which is cheaper than the Serpentine belt... The Frontera tensioners I have seen don't look the same tho...

Don't let them tell you it's absolutely an interference engine!!! CHECK INTO IT FIRST.
    I had this discussion with my mechanic who had this brand new shopmanual that "stated" my 3.5l WAS an interference......NO it's not. So you've got to check with some authority. I don't know if this is your 3.2l or not....but it was wrong for our 3.5...it may be wrong for yours too.

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Send a PM to greasemonkey . He's the UK parts guru and often supplies me with Vauxhall branded parts for my engine.

Do you know if the engine is dead??

Quote Originally Posted by voyeur View Post
    Cheers CR...

The local Isuzu garage 3 miles from where it broke was worse than useless so I left it on the transporter and asked them to take me home with it... (the very nice man didnt even try to charge me as he was heading that way).....

Will try looking for Frontera bitz... The belt is available for £15 which is cheaper than the Serpentine belt... The Frontera tensioners I have seen don't look the same tho...

What is meant by "interference" when talking of the engine? Does this mean pistons hitting valves if the belt slips?

Look at this

OK so the belt is still in one piece, but the tensioner was trying to exit stage left...... I have new tensioner on order but as the retaining bolt looks like this:

I am a bit stuck as to know what is a sensible option as awkward to drill in-situ...??

The Crankshaft pulley doesn't want to come off... the bolt undid fairly easily with very short tommy bar and 4lb lump hammer... but does it require a puller to remove the pulley as mine appears stuck fast?

a couple of the plastic cam belt covers are damaged around the tensioner location... are these easy to get hold of??

The tensioner bolt failure plane looks like it has a fatigue crack on it...!!! although I'm no metallurgist...

any idea how long this bolt should be... before I drill through to No 1 cylinder bore?

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I think I have a spare at home. I can measure it for ya later tonight if no one else knows