Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Well popped another CV boot again.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Well popped another CV boot again.

I went last weekend to blue ridge Georgia with my wife tent camping and had a great time and even snowed, but on the way back going on a very curvy road I blew a CV boot when i heard a screeching noise coming from the passenger front tire. Well thank God i had some grease in my spare tire storage area and bought some good old handy dandy duct tape and patched it up like an old sailer . Almost 600 miles later back to New Smyrna Beach Florida the good 11 year old lady VX of mine made back safe and in one piece. Again thanks to God we made it home safe. I'll post pics of the before and after later. Oh by the way, after 3 1/2 years of having my yellow lights i got pulled over 2 nights ago on my way to school. Got a nice fatty of a ticket but can waiver it if i show proof i changed it. so yesterday i took of my yellow front head light covers off and restored the old look back and i have to say i missed the old look. My old girl does not look like she has liver disease any more though .

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

Talking

The first picture is when done, the second is after I took the duct tape off, and the last 2 are with the duct tape I put on when I was in the mountains of Blue Ridge Georgia. I recommend that you don't buy that gray boot, it's like half the quality and thickness of the black one i bought yesterday.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice! I gotta remember to get a roll of duct tape and some grease for "just in case" times like this one!

When mine went the only notice I got was the grease slinging into the well (driver side) - I bought the mechatech kit and when I examined the passenger side the boot just broke in two so it was ready also...
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Smile

i really don't like replacing it, its just simply a mess and i love fixing things but greasy things that are just simply so small really suck. Oh by the way Apollo. My wife and i love blue ridge and we are really considering to move up there maybe this time next year, we will see. Be really cool, i am still to meet anyone from this forum in person, been around the whole nation and still have not meet anyone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    When mine went the only notice I got was the grease slinging into the well (driver side) - I bought the mechatech kit and when I examined the passenger side the boot just broke in two so it was ready also...

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieCosta567 View Post
    My wife and i love blue ridge and we are really considering to move up there maybe this time next year, we will see. Be really cool, i am still to meet anyone from this forum in person, been around the whole nation and still have not meet anyone yet.
    Let me know when you come through and I'll take the time to meet up and maybe do a meal or coffee (your preference).... I might be able to get Dave Sirkin (cyrk) to climb out of his cave too...

-- John

Thumbs up

I really appreciate that, thanks bro, and i'll deff.. let you know when.

Your boot tore, and you heard squealing? That is weird. I wonder if it had been torn a long time, and the squeal was the lack of grease.
    I have been rolling for months with torn mecatech junk boots. No squealing, no problems.

(Just changed boots a few weeks ago when I did the diff drop and SFIFS install.)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

You said you live in New Smyrna Beach, that's only about a 20 minute drive from where I live! I thought you were on the other side of the world!

In the summer time, that's my favorite place to be, on the beach. I haven't had the VX out there yet though.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    You said you live in New Smyrna Beach, that's only about a 20 minute drive from where I live! I thought you were on the other side of the world!

In the summer time, that's my favorite place to be, on the beach. I haven't had the VX out there yet though.
    No i live here, in florida . I actually graduated from Lake mary high school.

Yaaay! More FL VX'ers!

We should have a meet, a buddy of mine and I like to go to the everglades in the winter time and camp. I didn't have the VX last year when we went but we just rode mountain bikes the whole time anyhow. It was a blast, and I think cruising around in the VX's would be mighty awesome, getting to see some wildlive and play in a little mud at the same time.

Any how, I went ahead and replaced mine yesterday afternoon, no big deal to it, and I agree that driving around with a slightly torn boot, or even a ripped open one, is o.k. so long as you refill the grease occasionally.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    Yaaay! More FL VX'ers!

We should have a meet, a buddy of mine and I like to go to the everglades in the winter time and camp. I didn't have the VX last year when we went but we just rode mountain bikes the whole time anyhow. It was a blast, and I think cruising around in the VX's would be mighty awesome, getting to see some wildlive and play in a little mud at the same time.

Any how, I went ahead and replaced mine yesterday afternoon, no big deal to it, and I agree that driving around with a slightly torn boot, or even a ripped open one, is o.k. so long as you refill the grease occasionally.
    I like the idea.

I like the Idea too. I am not far from the swamp and have considered getting an ORV permit for Big Cypress.

Could all meet for a day at the Redneck Yacht Club: http://www.redneckyachtclubfl.com/mud_driving.php

Ha ha ha ha..ah ha ha. ah ha huh uh huh uh uh..yeah I don't want to get all muddy either.

Now that place looks pretty dang cool!