Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: need advice- our center bore is not 108mm

need advice- our center bore is not 108mm

I searched all relative posts on this forum. No one has posted an exact size of our stock hub. I believe our stock wheels are hub centric because our rims slip right onto the bore ledge which is like 1/4" thick. It properly holds the wheel centered, and aids the lug bolts in supporting the vehicle.
    I want to get new rims and I want them hub centric with proper sized center bores. I measured ours- they are about 4'' which calculates to 101.6mm. Can anyone verify my accuracy?
    I think having the wheel slammed tight to the hub plus resting on the hub ridge is the proper way to have your wheels versus giant 108mm bore holes and trying to center the wheels with the lug bolt nuts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

our hubs are 100mm every isuzu from 92 until present has a 100mm hub except the ascender.

I think you are going to have a very hard time finding a hub centric wheel to fit the vx. I have never seen another vehicle with the same hub size as ours. toyotas are 108.. chevys are 101.5

EDIT. just looked again and the H3 says it is 100mm.. with same bolt pattern too.. i wonder if its a misprint though, the colorado and canyon both say 100.5

nothing wrong with lug centric wheels, the only time you run into problems is if you have deep lug wells like my wheels do.. and even then just put the lugnut into the socket and then into the wheel and once the first one is tight the rest are easy.

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Etlsport, It's a pleasure to hear from you, super poster in the community,
    I just measured and they are 100mm. I now understand that some technical data on this site is innacurate. All it took was checking it myself which is always a good rule of thumb In the "post of all rims" thread the sizing is flat out wrong. It should say 100mm. The misinformation spreads like wildfire . I clearly understand that getting burned with too small bore size has been an issue for some, and aftermarkets selling mostly 108mm has most of us saying 108mm is the right size. But it isnt.
    Thanks for clearing it up

I agree 100% with Etlsport, and Eric is dead-on accurate with his analysis. Essentially, the majority of aftermarket wheels have the 108mm hub opening simply to "please the mass's". Aftermarket wheel manufacturer's want their wheels to fit as wide a variety of different makes/models as possible, so they can essentially make a sale (regardless of hub centric versus lug centric).

I've always said it from Day-1. The very best wheels for our VX's is the OEM 16x7 (1999) and the OEM 18x7 (2000/2001), simply because they fit perfectly with the proper offset/backspacing/hub-centric and help keep oversize tires nicely tucked inside the tightly cramped front wheel-wells of the VX with minimal rubbing issues (besides both styles of the OEM rims look fantastic, too). When you enter the realm of aftermarket wheels, the VX becomes very finicky of what fits and what doesn't fit.

I don't know guys, I have to call BS on this. I had my wheels opened up to the 108 MM bore when I bought them based on info I had read on here. I checked them upon arrival with my vernier caliper and they were in fact 108 MM. They hung up and scratched and scraped and had to be fairly heavily persuaded into place over the AISIN hubs. Maybe 100 MM works on some, but I can say for fact that it would not have fit in my case. Bart(nfpgasmask) and Clint(CRNCNN) have both been present when I have installed/removed wheels. They were a very tight, almost interference fit. Maybe they aren't all the same.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

They hung up and scratched and scraped and had to be fairly heavily persuaded into place over the AISIN hubs.
    Im thinking that is your problem.. did you run aisin hubs with factory wheels? I will measure my wheels tonight.. I have a set off two different vxs

I am going off the data found in two different wheel fitment guides even though the vx was not listed in either every single other isuzu excluding the ascinder was listed at 100mm. Also checked in an oem wheel ordering book which listed our factory wheels on 99s and 00-01s as an oem option for at least one other isuzu with a 100mm bore

My factory wheels (18's) fit over my asin hubs. So that is not an issue.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Maybe we're arguing semantics? Just because a wheel manufacturer says that the wheels they've manufactured with 108mm centerbores is the right fitment for a VX doesn't mean they're saying that's the centerbore for a VX. It's much easier for a manufacturer to make a lot of wheels with the same centerbore that will fit a variety of vehicles than it is to make each specific wheel specific to only a specific vehicle.

I'm thinking it depends more on the combination of vehicle and wheel as to whether it's hubcentic, lug-centric, etc, and that's something else a wheel manufacturer would provide further details on once they know the specific intended vehicle...not to mention any specific aftermarket modifications that have been made.

With lug-centric, the correct combination of wheel and lugnut is most important. With hub-centric, it's the combination of wheel and hub-centric ring (although the correct lugnut is also important there too). And if a person is so inclined, I imagine hub centric rings can be purchased for just about any combination of wheel and vehicle if the measurements are known.

hhmm, if your worried about being hub centric just get some hub centric rings. You won't run into any problems if you don't use a hub centric wheel but if it bothers you then they sell rings that slip onto the factory hub just for that purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/108mm-100mm-Al.../dp/B002HQ1BOE

http://www.tulipcitywheels.com/tcwst...t_detail&p=271

I ran the Borbet's and Snowflakes on my truck with Aisin hubs, never measured center bore but both of them were a nice tight fit. And on some of my previous trucks I had larger center-bore rims with no issues for long periods of time. One including a 98' GMC on swampers, so it was a heavy wheel/tire combo. If you use the correct shank lug nuts on whatever wheels you get you'll be fine.

edit: Y33TREKker beat me to it on the hub rings
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Insert two cents

since the hub is cast and not machined at the point of contact, think I would rather have that clearance between the wheel/hub. Different heat expansion rates, could cause the wheel to be bound up on the hub. The lugs are much truer to wheel center.

remove two cents
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

They make an "abs" version of them too

I think I am missing the point of this whole thread? Who cares if they are hub centric or lug centric? I beat the piss out of my truck with 108mm center bore wheels, never had a problem and I have some of the heaviest tires available. Lug centric is no problem. Never will be a problem. Superduty wheels are often lug centric as well. And if I am not mistaken, semi wheels are too.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    hhmm, if your worried about being hub centric just get some hub centric rings. You won't run into any problems if you don't use a hub centric wheel but if it bothers you then they sell rings that slip onto the factory hub just for that purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/108mm-100mm-Al.../dp/B002HQ1BOE

http://www.tulipcitywheels.com/tcwst...t_detail&p=271

I ran the Borbet's and Snowflakes on my truck with Aisin hubs, never measured center bore but both of them were a nice tight fit. And on some of my previous trucks I had larger center-bore rims with no issues for long periods of time. One including a 98' GMC on swampers, so it was a heavy wheel/tire combo. If you use the correct shank lug nuts on whatever wheels you get you'll be fine.

edit: Y33TREKker beat me to it on the hub rings
    Thanks Ramz, I am thinking the rings may help solve this for me

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I think I am missing the point of this whole thread? Who cares if they are hub centric or lug centric? I beat the piss out of my truck with 108mm center bore wheels, never had a problem and I have some of the heaviest tires available. Lug centric is no problem. Never will be a problem. Superduty wheels are often lug centric as well. And if I am not mistaken, semi wheels are too.
    I care

Glad I could help man!