Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: need advice- our center bore is not 108mm

Double post - so deleted.
    Last edited by Y33TREKker : 12/14/2010 at 01:04 PM

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I thought hub centric wheels went the way of the DoDo bird.

The only benefit that I've read for hub centric wheels is that they cut down on vibration. IMHO, that's total BS.

How can centering the wheel on a circle half the diameter cut down on vibration?

Hub centric was the way to go back in Grandpa's day because the technology just wasn't there to accurately and reliably drill out the lug holes on rims.

As a matter of fact, I believe that the hub is no longer even held to a tight enough tolerance during manufacture to get any of the benefit of using a hub centric rim. Sure, aftermarket companies do sell spacers to fill in any gap between the center bore and the hub ... made of soft plastic or aluminum. How is that gonna help with vibration?
    The VX is hub centric, and it isn't that old....yet. I would think Isuzu did it for a good reason. That's all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Why?

There's been a lot of talk about the pro's & con's but you never stated what problem you are experiencing that started this whole discussion.

Or

Is "I care" just a Luke Skywalker quote.
    I wanted to verify our specific bore size so I could look for wheels that have the same OEM center bore.
    Thanks again for the input everyone, but.....I might just get some wheel adapters.I hear there a nice safe alternative Uh oh...That could blow up this place

Quote Originally Posted by djvx View Post
    The VX is hub centric, and it isn't that old....yet. I would think Isuzu did it for a good reason. That's all.
    Actually I don't think it is. If you have hub centric rims, you will NOT have conical lug nuts. I think the factory rims are just a relatively close fit to the hub which is not neccesarily hub centric. That's all I've got to say about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I have had metal hub centric rings made for me in the past to specific wheels.

...If you have hub centric rims, you will NOT have conical lug nuts.
    I guess I'd have to know exactly what you mean by "conical", because the hubcentric wheels on my car use a lugnut/wheel-seat arrangement that incorporate a slanted seat angle that could be considered conical.

our vx lugnuts are conical, they have a cone shape to them. take a 2004 ford F250 for example, they have lug nuts that are flat on the bottom, which means those wheels would be hub centric

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Agreed ^

The only problem that larger than our 100mm bore presents is in the aligning process when you first are trying to get the first few lugs going on straight.

I had custom rims cut to my specs for the VX and I thought it was 108mm, but when I put them on I measured and found out that was WAY off, so it just means that it is harder for me to line up the first couple of lugs when reinstalling. Centerbore doesn't matter as long as the lug pattern is the same and the hubs fit, the lugs when tightened correctly (each one a little at a time) will align everything perfectly every time.

Well Little Beast is proof that the mis-information about our center bore being 108mm did affect someone. Granted the rims still worked out afterall. I think someone should change the tech info on the "Post of All Rims thread" to 100mm. With a note that 108mm is a proven workable sizing option.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    I guess I'd have to know exactly what you mean by "conical", because the hubcentric wheels on my car use a lugnut/wheel-seat arrangement that incorporate a slanted seat angle that could be considered conical.
    My point is this:

If your rim is centered by the hub AND by the lugs the two processes will work against each other unless VERY tight tolerences are held during manufacture.

If you were to purchase a true hub centric rim (assuming that our hub was designed for it, which I doubt) and installed it using lug nuts that are designed to also center the rim. The conical nuts would try to adjust what the hub has already aligned. One of two things will happen (prolly #2)

1. The hub or the centerbore of the rim will deform to allow the rim to center somewhere between where the hub had it & where the lugs want to put it. Congratulations, you've just violated the hub centric design that you wanted so badly.

2. The lug nuts won't tighten properly and will eventually vibrate loose. Nobody wins in that situation.

Like I said in an earlier post, in all likelihood our factory rims are lug centric & just happen to have a fairly tight fit to the hub but are not hub centric.