Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: technology update

That is a good point as well, Ascinder.

The microcosm (or at this point, macrocosm) of iPhone accessories and electronics made to work with the iPhone is insane. it also, in my opinion secures it's place.

A good case is really truly a must have for any new touchscreen phone if you tend to drop things.

VT, the fragility only really applies to the iphone 4 and even that is overhyped. The signal issue is a total BS media blow up if you ask me. I use mine for everything and I have yet to drop a call based on holding it. I use it naked.

Having a case (or bumper) on the iPhone 4 seems to kill the reception issues for those who have them.

That being said, it should have never been a necessity in the first place. The iPhone original, 3G and 3Gs were extremely rugged phones however. My mother has dropped my old 3Gs so many times, and there is nary a scratch on the screen.

Again though. If the cards stack for you in a different way, I would rarely ever say DON'T get an Android.
    macintosh man

Wow.... And here I am with one of those brick size cell phones that I leave in the truck for emergencies... The only reason I have it is because my wife makes me carry it in case of emergencies when I'm out goofing around. I didn't even have a cell phone until I was 23, and that was a company paid phone!

No way in heck I could get involved in cell phone tech like you guys. I just skimmed through these posts and nearly went crosseyed.

Quote Originally Posted by technocoy View Post
    The signal issue is a total BS media blow up if you ask me. I use mine for everything and I have yet to drop a call based on holding it. I use it naked.
    Might be talking past each other here... I'm speaking from personal experience using ruggedized cases on a Verizon "dumb" phone (LG Dare). I don't know much about the specific problems with iPhone4, just saying that wrapping a radio in any kind of casing can cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    I just skimmed through these posts and nearly went crosseyed.
    How could you tell???

I use my cell phone for ... you guessed it ... making & receiving phone calls. I have a computer at home & at work for all that other crap.

I bought Wifey an iPhone a cupla years ago. She likes it but rarely uses much of the extra stuff available. She really likes the Koi Pond App & the Ghost Radar App though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Not sure where to chime in, but I have the Droid Incredible and love it.

I just purchased a Droid Incredible for $0 at Best Buy. So far I like it. Its my first smart phone.

It currently has Android V: 2.2 how do I upgrade? It says currently up to date?

Just broke the screen on my Storm II, sucks. But now the store wants to talk me into a new 2 year contract and I wanted to downgrade to just a basic phone. Im so tired of paying $30 bucks a piece for the data package. I remember when my phone bill for 3 phones was less than $100 a month and now over $250.
    Its gotten so crazy with the technology on these things...

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    I just purchased a Droid Incredible for $0 at Best Buy. So far I like it. Its my first smart phone.

You are on the latest version.

When the new version comes out (2.3 aka "Gingerbread"), you will get notification to your phone.

on an android phone, you can get the Vehicross.info members map as a layer on your google maps app.

kinda handy.

hum...i need to play with it more to figure that out.

What is the best media player for it? I thought about expanding the disk and making it a decent mp3 player if possible.

Do Not Sign A Contract

Quote Originally Posted by jhigareda View Post
    Just broke the screen on my Storm II, sucks. But now the store wants to talk me into a new 2 year contract and I wanted to downgrade to just a basic phone. Im so tired of paying $30 bucks a piece for the data package. I remember when my phone bill for 3 phones was less than $100 a month and now over $250.
    Its gotten so crazy with the technology on these things...
    By a basic phone and have them use your current number. Drop all that extra crap. Or better yet do the pay as you go plan off a cheap phone available everywhere from walmart to CVS just make sure you buy the one associated with the company with the best network in your area.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

There is no official upgrade to the operating system yet for the Incredible. Currently it should show Android 2.2 (aka Froyo).

If you mod the device by "rooting" it you can load up custom ROMs if you so desire. There are at least two custom ROMS for the Incredible that use Android 2.3 (aka Gingerbread). Rooting the device also gives you a lot more control over what can be installed and removed from the device, however it will technically void your warrantee. (tho we can "unroot" and go back to factory state with a bit more work)

If you are new to smartphones in general (and in the case of Android phones, Linux) then I wouldn't bother modding it unless you have a particular reason to. Even after rooting we cant overclock its CPU much.
    And the DInc is such a capable device straight out of the box that there isn't much room for improvement anyway unless you are a real device geek.

hum...i need to play with it more to figure that out.

What is the best media player for it? I thought about expanding the disk and making it a decent mp3 player if possible.
    Winamp is out there for the Droids if you like that sorta thing. If you know what mp3's are, you are probably aware of Winamp on PC's.

I personally dont like having to buy a huge SD card to lug my music around on, so I prefer streaming options like Grooveshark, Yahoo music, Slacker radio, and of course XM/Sirius apps if you subscribe to those services. Pandora and LastFM also have very nice streaming apps and are free. Rdio is another highly praised social music streaming app, but Ive never used it.

So I love my Incredible so far... BUT. The battery SUCKS!

The standard battery is 1300 mah
    But this one is 3500 mah
    Is this too much and would burn up the phone?

I would really like to have more battery life and less time on the charger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3500MAH-EXTENDED...#ht_4692wt_905

Cool Lets Be Honest

You did not get this for nothing. I cant say what you did pay but are you telling me there was no contract? no minimum service plan? no you break it you have to pay $$$$ for a new one and still honor the contact? No you have to pay $$$ if you cancel early?

Aint Nothin Free