Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 Questions???

2 Questions???

My VX is still sporting stock height and stock 16's. I have obtained a set of 285-75-16 Bridgestone Dueller APT III and they are huge and 10 ply. Before I mount them I was not able to find a thread that anyone has tried this size. Will they fit or should i just sell and get closer to stock tires??

2nd question. I saw a VX on Ebay that was listed and had a switch next to the winter button that made the truck run 4X2. It looked like a factory option. Has anyone ever seen this a after market mod for gas savings?

Thanks

JDMs can select between running in 2wd or 4wd, but not the ones imported to the U.S.
    Don't know where the JDM 2wd switch is located though. Some of our Aussie and Brit members will know for sure.

Do you have a link to the ebay listing?
    Last edited by VX KAT : 12/14/2010 at 04:04 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Hey jhigareda... Try your search again and use slashes instead of dashes.

The 2wd High range is selected using the transfer case shifter, and can be shifted on the go.
    We have 3 positions for that gear selector, whereas you only have 2 positions.

I believe the electronic switch to select 2wd is an after market item that a few people have attempted to make. Not sure if anyone succeeded.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Unfortunately I did not copy and paste or save the ebay listed VX with the cool switch, but since it was in the US I thought it was a dealer installed option. We may never know.... its my fault for not inputing this on the spot.

Anyhow does anyone know if these massive 285/75/16 will fit stock height??

You might take a look at lfranz166's set-up. Looks like he's running your tire size with a 2" lift. From his pics it seems doubtful that you can stuff those tires in at stock height.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    They will fit....

Quote Originally Posted by jhigareda View Post
    My VX is still sporting stock height and stock 16's. I have obtained a set of 285-75-16 Bridgestone Dueller APT III and they are huge and 10 ply. Before I mount them I was not able to find a thread that anyone has tried this size. Will they fit or should i just sell and get closer to stock tires??

..if you change out the rear springs and crank the torsion bars.
    (see 'LIFT' threads )

You are talking about tires that are about 32.8x 8.5.

Lots of people running that or bigger...

...disclaimer...some trimming of front cladding required.

But not enough trimming to worry about....

Go for it!

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post

You are talking about tires that are about 32.8x 8.5.
    Erm.. I think they are 11.5" wide

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    Erm.. I think they are 11.5" wide
    ... which will significantly impact the swing arc, which is probably what necessitates the lift and (potentially) more significant cutting.

Thanks Guys for the input. I checked with Calmini and the 3 inch lift is less than $600 so i may go that way before I start cutting and cranking. Or maybe just wait and buy new wheels and tires.. Christmas has put a dent in my play money..

I disagree with some of the below (or above pending your profile setup, mine shows newest posts first) stuff. I run 34x11.5 and am back to being close to front stock height.(Handles MUCH better offroad with the increased down travel and minimized tension on the torsion bars). Other than banging back the rear of the front fender (which can be done without any noticeable impact from the outside, and trimming the front corners off the cladding, also not noticeable unless you are looking for it) you should have no problems. For the 34s, I removed the splash guards inside the fenders.

I think the lifting of the front is more cosmetic to make it look level in the rear. I do not get any rubbing as far as turning, and I never adjusted the steering stops.

I doubt you will have any problems with that tire at stock height other than minor trimming. As for wheeling it, you might get rear rubbing at full flex, so some OME 912s,913s,919s or even just a spacer with stock springs (much cheaper that way) would be fine.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Big THANKS Marlin!

The 285/75R16 are 32.8" O.D., but we'll just call 'em 33's for all practical purposes. Thus, grab a tape measure and then measure-out 16.5" from dead-center of the existing wheel hub (radius measurement). Look specifically at the 3:00 and at the 9:00 positions in both front & rear wheel-wells, as this is the location where clearance issues are most likely to arise between the cladding and the new tire. Essentially, this is approximately where the outer circumference of the new tire will be and it will give you a general idea of any potential clearance problems in advance.

The 285 series tire (11.5" wide) is a fairly wide tire for the VX. To help keep this wide tire neatly tucked in the tightly cramped front wheel-wells of the VX, it is highly recommended to only use the Stock OEM 16x7 Factory Rims which has the proper offset/backspacing you'll want to maintain. The use of any other aftermarket wheel is only gonna' cause additional rubbing issues and a multitude of clearance problems.

When it comes to lifting the VX, there is basically three(3) phases:

A. No Lift. VX is left 100% at OEM stock height.

B. Front Torsion Bar Crank Only. OEM Rear Springs are left untouched.

C. Front Torsion Bar Crank AND aftermarket Rear Spring replacement (912, 913, etc) or OEM Rear Springs used with spacer's (for a minor rear lift).

First, mount the tires on the front axle, and check for clearance issues. You may find the tires fit perfectly with version-A (no lift) and with just some minor cladding trim and/or rear hammering of the front wheel-well. The new tires should fit perfectly fine within the existing rear wheel-well using OEM Rear Springs (no rear lift), as it already has gobs of extra space. Your only problem will likely be clearance within the front wheel-well and swing-arc clearance when the front tires are turned lock-to-lock. The true secret is to only use the Stock OEM 16x7 Rims with the 285/75R16 size tires!!!

Thanks I will take some before and after photos and share my findings when i try it out. Worst case ill stay closer to stock. I have to keep reminding myself not to get to ahead since the truck is not fully functional yet. But soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    ...To help keep this wide tire neatly tucked in the tightly cramped front wheel-wells of the VX, it is highly recommended to only use the Stock OEM 16x7 Factory Rims which has the proper offset/backspacing you'll want to maintain.
    The true secret is to only use the Stock OEM 16x7 Rims with the 285/75R16 size tires!!!
    Riff I think you should watch your wording with newer members; using phrases like "it is highly recommended" surely leads some folks to believe that you're quoting a repair manual or other industry document, rather than just stating your opinion. I for one do appreciate the amount of input you provide on these wheel/tire threads, but that's just something I think you might consider.

The other reason I point that out is that 7" rims are NOT recommended by Bridgestone for their Dueller tires in the 285 section width. Their APT III tires have been superseded by the APT IV, but you can see from that spec sheet that they recommend 7.5" - 9" rims only. Will the 1/2" cause the tire to separate from the rim? Probably not, but when it comes from the manufacturer I think it bears mentioning to provide balance against glowing recommendations.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...roduct_ID=2022

Btw, this reminded me of something I read (I believe) in Sue's thread on the Coopers. General doesn't recommended 7" rims for their 285 section Grabber AT2 tires either - they actually recommend a minimum of 8".

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/Grabber-ATsup2-sup