Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: VX crash in Erie, PA

AWD/4WD can be safer to drive in snow if the driver is responsible. Nothing is safe on ice.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way Mr. Roward.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)

I spoke to Robert (really nice guy by the way)

Broken shins and a broken leg of the compound variety. Had to create a tourneqet out of his hoodie and call 911. The other car pinned him against his driver side cladding and tire but he managed to free himself and survive.

He said he needs some steering components and suspension parts. Other items to be determined. Can't believe he's worried about the VX at this point...

He had just finished his upgrades...bummer! Running 38s' (he pulled the 40's off due to the rubbing/gearing issues), and a custom lift system.

He should leave the hospital tomorrow and go home and recouperate.

If you would like to call he could use the encouragement, as any of us would, the number 814-877-7007 and ask for Robert Roward's room.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

thank you for the update! glad to know he is okay enough to go home at least!

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    AWD/4WD can be safer to drive in snow if the driver is responsible. Nothing is safe on ice.
    Yes,i agree,nothing is safe on ice,but 1 by 1 i'll stick to a 4WD/AWD
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    thank you for the update! glad to know he is okay enough to go home at least!
    x2

Just talk to Robert this morning seems to be in good cheer
    But he will need some of us to be parts hunters
    Also he should be released from the hospital within a few hours

And will update us when he gets internet access
    Are thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery
    Last edited by ibmx2 : 12/17/2010 at 09:35 AM

So this was SuperStang?

Hope all goes well for Ya son. Prayers for a quick recovery for both you & the VX.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    So this was SuperStang?

Hope all goes well for Ya son. Prayers for a quick recovery for both you & the VX.

Tom
    Yes

Hey guys, Thank you all for contacting me directly and for the concerns and willingness for help! I'm Absolutely amazed that MILE HIGH VX from Colorado and IBMX2 from Chicago found out about me and contacted me before friends in my own home town were aware. Just proves the closeness of us here!!

Well, as you know, I was in a severe motorcycle accident a few years back when I was messing around on my track bike on the street by my house. I had a compound femur fracture, a replacement hip, rod in my femur now, a rib removed, and a spinal injury that led to a fusion of 5 vertebrae. I made my recoveries from that over the years.

Now to this accident, also less than a mile from my home...The northeast has been hammered with snow lately. The roads had normal amounts of managable snow(3-4 inches). There was a clear field up ahead and the snow was drifted in that area on the road taller than the mailboxes. I figured "I'm bad *****, I have 38's" and went right into it. I came to a sudden stop when it was about headlight height on my lifted VX. My VX was positioned with my front passenger side off the road and my rears both on the road. I attempted to free it, but the packed snow was up to the cladding and it did not move.

I put my flashers on and called my tow truck buddy and decided to get out to see if I could dig out while I waited for him. I walked around my VX and to the front pass. tire and heard a horn honk. before I could fully turn around, my body was wedged between a Mazda 6 and my wheel well and tire. She attempted to back up but just spun tire. I could hear the blood trickling down her headlight and saw my tibia and fibia(both shin bones) sticking out. I pulled myself free by grabbing her hood and dislocating my ankles.

The driver was in shock I assume because she went into her vehicle cause "it was cold outside". I crawled into her backseat and elevated my legs, tried to remove my sweatshirt to tie off my legs to reduce bleeding. I called 911 myself after wrapping my legs with my hoodie and pulling it tight with my teeth, looked for the closest address to tell the operator my exact location.

I am now home from the hospital and have 34 stitches in my right leg, 2 pins and a plate in one ankle and 1 pin in the other. I will not be able to put weight on my legs for 3 months.

MY prior spinal injury gave me limited feeling in my legs so I am in great spirits and ready to rebuild myself and my VX again.

Thanks again for contacting me and for the genuine concerns You guys are great!

Bobby Roward

Wow, I hope you make a complete recovery. Good luck and god speed.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Good GAWD man! We're so glad you survived and are home now ready to get better! I'm sure it must be a shockingly horrifying thing for any driver...but come on....call for help, go get some help, go knock on a door, help the victim!!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

My thoughts exactly!! Both my ankles were backwards and my shin bone exposed and still army crawed in the snow to get in her car to get warm, tied off my own legs with my own shirt off my back, and called 911 with my own phone in a calm manner after searching for a house address for location. The whole time she was just staring at me like a scared child.

Maybe I held it together because this was the third time in my life I've had bones exposed and my spinal injury has limited my feelings in my lower legs. By all means does this NOT make me feel like I'm Billy Bad ***** but I am aware that keeping cool in trauma keeps heart rate and blood flow down, allowing more time for rescue personnel.

I also had a hard time with the language barrier and had trouble understanding her due to her heavy (African?) accent, so even in this much going on, I acquired her info in writing to submit to authorities.

I do wish I could have received a little more assistance or at least comfort. She seemed upset that her daughter's jacket was back there and I was getting blood on it. I said "I'll buy her a new one for crying out loud, help me out!"

some people just freeze up in a traumatic situation I suppose. I'm alive and will recover over the next few months so I can live with that.
    Last edited by superstang460 : 12/18/2010 at 11:38 AM

Quote Originally Posted by superstang460 View Post

I also had a hard time with the language barrier and had trouble understanding her due to her heavy (African?) accent, so even in this much going on, I acquired her info in writing to submit to authorities.

I do wish I could have received a little more assistance or at least comfort. She seemed upset that her daughter's jacket was back there and I was getting blood on it. I said "I'll buy her a new one for crying out loud, help me out!"

some people just freeze up in a traumatic situation I suppose. I'm alive and will recover over the next few months so I can live with that.
    I hope she was at least an american citizen, if not, your insurance will be paying for the damages. If she has insurance, I would think you will get enough money out of the deal to get a whole new VX, and you can order that sweet suspension setup from overseas...

What can I say, I am a silver lining kind of guy.

dang man glad to hear your doing okay a few days ago i was crapping myself looking at your vx hope to hear that its back on the road when you recover