Thread: My5 year old's first gun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Advise them of what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Did you mean advise them that there is a locked up small caliber rifle in the house? Should I advise them there are about 30 knives in the kitchen that are not locked up? They should probably know about all the outlets, power tools, golf clubs, hatchet, chain saw,garden poison, and my two dogs.Might as well throw in the 4000lb 80mph cannon out front as well.
    Whoa there preacher, not criticizing the way you're raising your kids. Just reminding you of the sue-happy world in which you live.

we are gun obsessed

It used to be almost every home had a gun and you hunted your food. Households without guns were a minority and no one thought it weird if the well trained kid went hunting. Now with helicopter parents putting pads on kids to go down a sliding board, and taking their kids side when they do something wrong as opposed to disciplining them as well as the rest of the PC stuff we are obsessed if any one wants to be self reliant and take responsibility for their actions.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    It used to be almost every home had a gun and you hunted your food. Households without guns were a minority and no one thought it weird if the well trained kid went hunting. Now with helicopter parents putting pads on kids to go down a sliding board, and taking their kids side when they do something wrong as opposed to disciplining them as well as the rest of the PC stuff we are obsessed if any one wants to be self reliant and take responsibility for their actions.
    x2, I got a honda 175 quad for my 6th xmas and my little brother got a little 70. My parents used to pack us a lunch, the .22 and some fishing poles and my brother and I would go cruise the pasture all day. We had a few hundred acres in missouri. Tons of fun. Never got seriously injured, well, some frogs and rabbits maybe, but no people Lots of frog legs...hmmmmmm. Yummy.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I took the boy shooting today. The mossberg out of the box at 25 yards, hitting bullseyes with no adjustments! We went through a little over two hundred rounds, no jams, no sticks, one bad round. Two kids in the lane next to us were using a similar 22 with a scope shooting shotgun shells on the ground at 25 yards. I waited for him to miss one, I picked it off open sights...lol. His friend gave him a hard time about that one There is a reason I have an expert rifle medal on my uniform

That gun is worth its weight in gold. My neighbor brought a lot of guns out as well. He brought a couple of various make handguns, lots of WWII stuff. He also brought out some old school flint locks, a MAC10, AR15, an old AK that fires .410 slugs, very fun. The kids had a blast and learned a lot about gun safety as well.

A very good day.

Drats! Just broke the gun down completely. On a good note, it was sparkling clean, very little residue, but on the bad note, I bent the bolt return spring. I called Mossberg, all I did was tell them what model, they already knew what I wanted. Its on back order, they are sending me two for free. LOL. I asked what other parts are commonly ordered, the guy on the phone laughed and said magazines and that spring. I can still fire it, but its all manual now.