Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Conceal to carry - if so what? Or what do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    How does chopping the grip increase the power of the ammunition??
    I was wondering that myself....
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Kind of like a butt-dyno senses the extra 5 horsepower you get by installing a cold air intake!
    Last edited by Triathlete : 06/23/2011 at 07:31 PM
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

...scratched my head for a second too...but I think he meant he gets the benefit of the extra barrel length of the 34 (vs. the 17).
    HOnestly, I think that reasoning is faulty, too, though. I don't know if 9mm benefits much from longer barrels and extra twist. Maybe in a 16 in carbine, but even there: without the numbers to back it up, I"m thinking 16 in would be wasteful for an inherently slow (pistol caliber) round. But we're not talking about anything near that. Again, with nothing to back this up, but the glock 34 is marketed for "accuracy" or shooting sports because of the longer sight radius. THe extra barrel length benefits, I guess,but I don't think to such a great degree of laying to the "+p" claim. Besides, in such a case, wouldn't that argument be moot? WHy bring something with such a long barrel for self defense if it isn't a rifle? the 34 isn't for home defense, but for target shooters. What would the push for +p rounds be other than SD?

Just my unqualified 2 cents, BTW. Unsolicited. I'm prone to like wacky things for my own justified reasons as well, so I"m no judge here.
    THIS WE'LL DEFEND

Hey Bart I have 2 of those mosins. They were selling for $80 in Vermont last year.. Bought synthetic stocks for$60 .So much nicer with new stocks.Sent bolts out to get cut and turned down,(just like sniper versions)for $40..I have weaver style scope mounts for about $15..Took mine to the range w/o scopes only 50 yards,they shot smooth Tony B

Quote Originally Posted by spaceCADETzoom View Post
    ...scratched my head for a second too...but I think he meant he gets the benefit of the extra barrel length of the 34 (vs. the 17).
    HOnestly, I think that reasoning is faulty, too, though. I don't know if 9mm benefits much from longer barrels and extra twist. Maybe in a 16 in carbine, but even there: without the numbers to back it up, I"m thinking 16 in would be wasteful for an inherently slow (pistol caliber) round. But we're not talking about anything near that. Again, with nothing to back this up, but the glock 34 is marketed for "accuracy" or shooting sports because of the longer sight radius. THe extra barrel length benefits, I guess,but I don't think to such a great degree of laying to the "+p" claim. Besides, in such a case, wouldn't that argument be moot? WHy bring something with such a long barrel for self defense if it isn't a rifle? the 34 isn't for home defense, but for target shooters. What would the push for +p rounds be other than SD?

Just my unqualified 2 cents, BTW. Unsolicited. I'm prone to like wacky things for my own justified reasons as well, so I"m no judge here.
    Often, the difference between regular and +P ammo out of a 4" test barrel is only about 50-100 FPS, which is entirely consistent with the velocity gain from an additional 1.3 inches of barrel that you get on the 34. The marketing of the 34 as a target pistol came from the fact that one of the gun game orgs (can't remember which one), felt that using the 17L or 24 (6" barrel) was "cheating", so they made a box that your gun had to fit into, that was basically the size of a full size 1911. The 34/35 models are made to fit into that box. The 34/35 are actually about 3/4" shorter overall than a 1911 Govt, with a longer sight radius, and a longer barrel (only 1/3" but still longer). Chopping the grip makes it more concealable, since the extra barrel length is inside the pants. In an appendix IWB holster, this gun vanishes!

Since most 9mm rounds are of the light/fast variety, every bit of velocity helps. Also, the extra slide weight helps reduce the muzzle flip, speeding up your follow up shots.

Overall, unless you are using a SUPER hot 9mm, 10" of barrel seems to be about the point of diminishing returns, which is why most SMGs seem to hover around that length.

As far as why bring a long barrel for SD instead of a rifle, since I don't live in a place like AZ, it is illegal to carry around a concealed, loaded rifle. This is basically a rifle that I can tuck into the waistband. Lastly, I find that, for me, the combination of this barrel length and the shorter grip is the sweet spot for pointability.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention on here that I got my CCW permit a few weeks ago

Been carrying my Ruger SR9 compact on weekends. Cant carry at work since I work for a school district (they frown on having guns on property). Waiting on the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe IWB holster. Have been using an IWB holster for a Glock 26 for now. Only problem with it is the barrel sticks out a little too far and the front sight gets kinda painful after a while.

Also, my buddy Mike (protetype) picked up a Ruger LC9 so I got to see it close up. The slide is much thinner then the SR9c so much lighter. Its about the same thickness (going by feel) as a Bersa Thunder .380 but the grip and barrel length is a bit smaller (and its a 9mm!). If I didnt already have the 9c I would probably have one of those.
    --Dave

I'm Alaskan, no permits for me I have an M&P 45, love it. I've also got the 500 Mag when the bears get out of hand, and a 1911 chambered in .22 in my survival bag.
    Last edited by Ala5ka : 06/26/2011 at 10:19 AM
    Check out VehiCROSSAmerica on Facebook or @VehiXAmerica on Twitter

A "friend" just got a spingfield xdm .40 hasent shot it yet hope to this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo42 View Post
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention on here that I got my CCW permit a few weeks ago

Been carrying my Ruger SR9 compact on weekends. Cant carry at work since I work for a school district (they frown on having guns on property). Waiting on the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe IWB holster. Have been using an IWB holster for a Glock 26 for now. Only problem with it is the barrel sticks out a little too far and the front sight gets kinda painful after a while.

Also, my buddy Mike (protetype) picked up a Ruger LC9 so I got to see it close up. The slide is much thinner then the SR9c so much lighter. Its about the same thickness (going by feel) as a Bersa Thunder .380 but the grip and barrel length is a bit smaller (and its a 9mm!). If I didnt already have the 9c I would probably have one of those.
    My CHL from El Paso County just came in the mail last week. I bought the LC9. I was on the fence tween it and the KelTec PF9. The Diamondback DB9 was on the list too. In the end the LC9 just felt less...cheap. Of course it was about $100 more than the PF9 too. So far it's great. I wanted the thinnest possible, I think the DB9 is officially the smallest 9mm right now,but I never got to see one first hand, and I've read bad things about thier 380s. And I was looking at a crossbreed spertuck too! But I think I"m leaning toward a comp-tac holster instead. THey have a quicker turnaround time too.

Oh, yeah, BTW. Buds Gun Shop has a labor day sale on LC9s for $349 DELIVERED. I got one for about the same price through gunbroker, but that's a pretty good deal.

Think I'll be sticking with the SR9c for quite a while. A little bigger and heavier then some others but not an issue for me. Got to shoot Mikes LC9 and didnt really like it. Hurt my hand shooting it almost as much as the LCP. One of the girls we were camping with tried it and she was done after 2 shots. Convinced her to try the SR9c and she loved it. The LCP and LC9 are good when used for their intended purpose, just not much fun to practice with. The long heavy trigger pull on them still bothers me too.

Love the supertuck holster. After a while you get used to the weight of the gun and forget its even there. Even after a full day of sitting in the rodeo bouncing around on trails I had no issues with it.

A "friend" just got a spingfield xdm .40 hasent shot it yet hope to this weekend
    Tried an XD before and just didnt feel right to me, like holding a brick. But at lest the grip angle was much better then on a Glock which also feels like holding a brick.

No concealed carry in IL though on the floor in senate to pass the bill lets hope.
    Collection lol
    3 Rock River customized ar15's
    2-223 1-.786
    1-barret 50 cal
    2- 308 belt feds
    1-rem 270
    1-rem 30/06
    2-beneli super's 12 guauge
    1-browning overunder
    3-ustomized ruger 10/22's
    1-colt ar-15 .556
    2-hk mp5
    2-hk 91's
    2-hk 93's
    1-gsg mp5 rifle version

handguns
    2-kimber .45's
    2 eaa witness's 1-45 1-9mm
    1-cz-b 40cal
    1-kal-tec 22wmr
    1-beretta model92 9mm
    1-beretta model 87 target 22 cal
    1-sig 45 cal
    2-browning hi power
    plus other little project guns love to build um love to blow stuff up more!

Think I'll be sticking with the SR9c for quite a while. A little bigger and heavier then some others but not an issue for me. Got to shoot Mikes LC9 and didnt really like it. Hurt my hand shooting it almost as much as the LCP. One of the girls we were camping with tried it and she was done after 2 shots. Convinced her to try the SR9c and she loved it. The LCP and LC9 are good when used for their intended purpose, just not much fun to practice with. The long heavy trigger pull on them still bothers me too.
    A few weeks ago I got to try the LCP of a female friend. Hubby had bought it for her. Thing seriously kicked like a mule and hurt my hand, and she hates it too. It "looks" like it's a perfect CC...but it just doesn't have enough mass to tame that kick. I'll keep my Titanium Tomcat!

Got to shoot the SR9c again, and still really like that. Might find one in my collection in the future.

Here's a site that has some good comparison pics of the 3 we're talking about here....LCP, SR9c and LC9:
    http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LC9.htm

I can agree with all of the above. But I wanted the smallest 9mm possible--figured it was the best tradeoff between usable caliber and size. Ive seen small women carry bigger guns, i just dont get how. If I didn't think it a problem in being obvious, I would have a double stack 1911, the hand gun world doesn't get any better IMHO.

These tiny 9mms may not be fun to shoot, but from what I figure, shooting a ccw in its intended purpose probably shouldn't be fun

I really like my Kahr PM9, definitely some kick to it but I can handle it fine. Some articles have mentioned it is relatively soft shooting for a micro 9. And now they have the CM9 out, which is a more affordable version.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...