Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My VX is broke, and and could use some help!

I wish you could make it south of Indianapolis, and we could knock out 80% of that list out!
    Are you saying you are TOTALLY non-mechanical? If you have a garage, some time, and organization, you can do alot, and learn alot.
    Otherwise, contact those Chicago members for a name of mechanic.

here is what my shop charges as far as hours for these items...

Timing Belt 2.7 Hours
    Water Pump 3.4 Hours
    Thermostat 1.8 Hours
    (these three should be combined somehow, not 100% sure how)

Upper and Lower Radiator hose 0.6 Hours (or 0.5 for Lower, 0.3 for Upper)

Lower Ball Joint 0.9 Hours
    Front Wheel Bearing 2.6 Hours for both (1.4 each for one side)

Blower Motor 0.4 Hours (Does not include AC recharge if needed)
    Last edited by etlsport : 12/17/2010 at 04:39 AM

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    Blower Motor 0.4 Hours (Does not include AC recharge if needed)
    No AC recharge needed for R&Ring of the blower motor.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Wow, what a response- this is exactly why I heart this site!

Thank you everyone for the advice!

So, I picked my car back up without any repairs done yet (neither him or I could possibly get parts until next week). The mechanic said that with the work I need done, that it's only a matter of time before the whole engine could go out on me.

I noticed when I shut the car off, and walked around the hood that it faintly smelled like something was burning, any ideas as to what that's from...?

The consensus I'm getting is that for most of the parts needed, a reliable aftermarket part will work fine. But for the Water Pump, to get the actual Isuzu kit.

So it wouldn't be smart to buy this...?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_3733wt_778

If yes, then does anyone know where I can buy the official Isuzu Water Pump kit? I'm guessing I can still get it cheaper than a mechanic can (or will).

Also, in the interest of saving just a little money right now (it is Christmas next week) I'm going to put off the suspension stuff for a month, and just focus on all the engine repairs.

That said (and I already PMed NocturnalVX), does anyone know a good mechanic in the Chicagoland area? Right now I'll at least settle for a mechanic who has seen a VehiCross before.

Funny story: the one Isuzu dealership that I used to go to isn't around anymore, and any dealer maintenance is forwarded to a Subaru Dealership down the street. Where all the guys gawk at my Ironman because, of course, none of them have ever seen one before.

Again, thank you everyone, this is a wonderful community- and I really do appreciate all your help and advice!

Do you still have the original muffler in your VX? That burning smell may be the muffler. I get a burning smell too, and it will vary with how the wind is blowing. At first I thought it was something in the rear end burning up (bad bearing, or tire rubbing on something), but one day after driving in the rain I parked the VX and noticed some steam coming out from under the car. When I bent down to investigate what it was I noticed that it had the same burnt odor that I would smell from time to time and that the steam was coming off of the muffler.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Burning smell could also be antifreeze burning if its leaking significantly.. Is it a rubber smell or a sweet smell?

Talking

UPDATE:

So I asked around to see if any of my buddies knew a good mechanic so I could get a second opinion on the repairs I need done. Luckily, I was referred to someone, and took it in this morning.

All I told him was that the heater wasn't working, and when I took it to another mechanic, he found all kinds of other problems- and I needed a reliable second opinion before I make repairs.

He just called back, and guess what? The only problem he found was that my Blower Resistor needs to be replaced. That's it.

My Blower Motor is fine, and as far as the Water Pump and leaking antifreeze, he said that my hoses were a little loose- and when antifreeze leaked onto the fan it splattered everywhere. He said the hoses themselves were fine, he's gonna tighten them up, clean up the engine (where antifreeze was splattered), and everything should be okay.

Oh, and until I get the new resistor put in, he jack-ed (or jimmy-ed? I don't know) the Blower Motor so that I'll get one speed out of it at least- and I'll have heat!

So, my almost $1900 repair job went down to $0. All it's going to cost me is a new Blower Resistor next week.

...can you believe that??

I've actually avoided Christmas Shopping so far so I could save for this repair! It's a Christmas Miracle!

(or at least me wising up and getting a second opinion)

I just wanted to thank everyone here who has read and/or responded to this post- I really, really do appreciate all the advice... and the space to vent.

ONE LAST QUESTION: Does anyone know the part number for the Blower Resistor? And/Or know where I can find one? One person suggested calling Merlin Isuzu- could someone please post his contact? Or is this part I need generic and could be bought from anywhere...?

Again, thank you everyone for the help (and for reading all of this!) ~!!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Merlin @ St. Charles Isuzu
    1-800-727-8066 - mention the forum for a discount on parts.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by TheUltimateMan View Post
    Wow, what a response- this is exactly why I heart this site!

That said (and I already PMed NocturnalVX), does anyone know a good mechanic in the Chicagoland area? Right now I'll at least settle for a mechanic who has seen a VehiCross before.

Funny story: the one Isuzu dealership that I used to go to isn't around anymore, and any dealer maintenance is forwarded to a Subaru Dealership down the street. Where all the guys gawk at my Ironman because, of course, none of them have ever seen one before.

Again, thank you everyone, this is a wonderful community- and I really do appreciate all your help and advice!

Here's the thread where that talks about the Chicago VX Resource:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...hicago+service

I'm also in Chicago and haven't checked this guy out yet. I took her to my local mechanic who I've been using for 10 years. He's doing the basic stuff, but anything VX specific (windows fix, engine problems, etc) I'll probably have that other guy check out first.

Would love to get a Chicago meet sometime, maybe after the winter so that my frozen power door locks would work!

That's awesome to hear man! That's why I hate taking my vehicles in anywhere. Sometimes mechanics just jump to a conclusion and then start throwing all sorts of other stuff at you so they can scare you into spending $$$$. Hard to find a good mechanic but sounds like you might have just found one!
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread