Thread: Transmission

Transmission

Hi everyone!

I have a couple of questions. We followed a tutorial on here, very informational. Here are some photos.

Today, my sister and I changed the transmission oil and gasket/filter aswell. The amount of fluid that came out of the main pan was only about 1qt-1.5qt, so we remove the other pan(smaller) just in front of the main pan, about the same amount came out as well, 1qt-1.5qts. We did not turn on the engine or go through the gears while both pans were removed we didn't want to risk anything bad happening. After we put everything back together, we put 6qts of new fluid... Is this too much?

If anyone is planning to replace their filter heres the bar you had to remove.

4 Bolts on each end. 2 Bolts in the middle, remove the plate that the 2 middle bolts held, then theres 2 more nuts to remove. Make sure you have the transmission supported. We just set blocks under it (TOD), was fine.

We kinda snapped a bolt, but thats normall of the bolt was rusting away.

The car used to jump out of gear then back or at least it felt like it jumped out of gear, my grandfather told me because the filter may be sucking air through the filter hole when the car is on a tilt and there isn't enough ATF. Hence the hiccups. I test drove it today up the hill we go through all the time, no hiccups, none. But most of the time it does a hiccup, sometimes doesn't.

If the ABS light is on, what can I do about the ABS? What should I check first?

When the car is in Reverse, and Neutral the light indicator stays in "R". The only time I can get it to get into "N" is between Drive and Neutral. Does this cause any issues? How can I fix it?

I forgot to mention. Sometimes when I have the vehicle placed in PARK. The vehicle will still roll a few feet then parks, sometimes not catching the park it just keeps rolling.

Here are some photos.

DRIVE

NEUTRAL

REVERSE

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by O Hell No O : 12/17/2010 at 02:41 PM

There is a hole in the passengers' side of the large transmission pan for checking the fluid level and adding fluid if necessary. That's the first thing I'd do.

The ABS light is probably lit from a fault in your ABS module. That's the common cause most find anyway.

The transmission indicator light problem is most likely the cause of a faulty transmission "mode" selector switch located on the drivers side of the transmission underneath the vehicle. They are prone to failing because of excess heat coming from the exhaust running too close to the switch. Some members have had luck taking the switch off, cleaning it, and trying it again, but new replacements can also be purchased.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...elector+switch

I see, well when I added the oil, took out the tube, it did kinda run out a lil' fast. Enough to cover my hand. and some on the floor. Should I let it run out till theres just a small stream or until it stops?

I forgot to mention. Sometimes when I have the vehicle placed in PARK. The vehicle will still roll a few feet and catches the park, other times when it doesn't catch it just keeps rolling.

If this Mode Switch is faulty, what can it cause if not fixed?

Here is Deermaget's tutorial on How to read and erase ABS, TOD, and Airbag codes.

Overview: Jumper the pins indicated at the ODBII port and watch the ABS light flash the the 2-digit error code(s).

Quote Originally Posted by O Hell No O View Post
    I see, well when I added the oil, took out the tube, it did kinda run out a lil' fast. Enough to cover my hand. and some on the floor. Should I let it run out till theres just a small stream or until it stops?

I forgot to mention. Sometimes when I have the vehicle placed in PARK. The vehicle will still roll a few feet and catches the park, other times when it doesn't catch it just keeps rolling.

If this Mode Switch is faulty, what can it cause if not fixed?
    Just letting the fluid run out until the overall level is close to being even with the top of the hole should be close enough.

I suppose if the mode switch is faulty, it could be causing the problems you are currently describing. It's an electromechanical switch, and if the mechanicals are in turn causing electrical problems, the electrical problems could contribute to any number of operational errors.