Thread: Powder Coated Custom VX licences Plates

Powder Coated Custom VX licences Plates

I've started powder coating custom licence plates. I want to help this site and offer something to the community that can really set their VX off. I know there are limited options we can do to our vehicles, so you will always bump into another VX with the same roof rack or skid plate. With many color options, font styles and with an endless option of adding your own personal touches (Handle or Nickname) added to the VX logo, this will truly make your VX yours! By helping this site, I want to give back a dollar amount or percentage as a donation.

I'm still throwing around a few prices and still have to check flat rate shipping cost, it would be nice to get some feedback on what would be a fair price to charge and what to put back into the website. Also, whenever I start this up, where would be the best place to post this. I have two examples I have already done, one was a personal plate, once finished the owner framed and placed on his wall and the other one was for a local business that was placed on their display truck. Before I do any work, I will take the information given and send a Photoshop template back, to insure you are happy with the design. I can powder coat up to 15 layers (15 colors), but prefer to keep it around a max of 5 colors.

Examples show the detail and depth of what I can do.

The plates are the same material as your standard licences plate and cut to the same size, it will be squared off instead of round corners. If you are planning on using this on your vehicle, I will have the mounting holes cut out and if you want if for in-home or dash use, I can leave it as a solid piece. I also have templates to make clocks, but waiting to see how this starts off before jumping into another project.

I would love to hear everyone's feedback!

Thanks for your time.

Mike (VX-13)
    "Sometime Early, Never Late, But Always On Time"

Could you do a symbol that is impressed into the metal or raised and set to a different color? I want something in particular, but don't want it to b something I could get in the tourist trap in Orlando. Know what I mean?

We gotta roll with back AND front plates here in Wisconsin so no go for me. Good Luck though!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    Could you do a symbol that is impressed into the metal or raised and set to a different color? I want something in particular, but don't want it to b something I could get in the tourist trap in Orlando. Know what I mean?
    I can do anything as long as it can be cut onto a vinyl decal. If you want it lower, I use just a decal to cover the first coat, making the second coat higher, but if you want it raised I have that decal inverted and it becomes a stencil for the second color. The decals are removed when baking right in mid change from a powder to a liquid. With each layer/color that is added, it will give your plate depth. If you click on the pictures (to see enlarged view) and look at the second picture of each example, you can see the depth. No plate will have a flat look to it, I think even with a layer of clear, it will would still have texture to it. I hope this works for what you mean by Impressed/Raised, as for actually stamping a pattern into the metal, I can't do that.

I do have a company that can laser cut metal and I could have the symbol cut out of the middle and then two-tone it

Example: This was used on top of a demo-derby car.

If you have an idea of what you want, you can PM me with the details and I can make a template on Photoshop and let you know the low and high points of depth in the powder coat.
    Last edited by VX-13 : 12/22/2010 at 10:28 PM

Quote Originally Posted by djvx View Post
    We gotta roll with back AND front plates here in Wisconsin so no go for me. Good Luck though!
    I know a lot of states have that law. I personal would never do it, but have seen people use the bottom front mounting holes on their licences plate to mount a custom plate below the state regulated plate. A licences plate is 6X12 inches, but I have metal 12X12 that I can do something to the same effect that can be hung on the wall.